Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> shifter questions, is this the way it's supposed to be???
rj777
post Feb 15 2005, 10:36 AM
Post #1

ramajon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,336

Can you 914 gurus help??? I just took apart the front part of my shifter mech on 75 914 1.8...I replaced a bushing that wasn't there that connects the shifter to the long linkage and put back in one of the guide springs where the cir clip had broken...after several attempts at getting the gears to shift right i achieved good shifting for a 914...Now my question is this...When I am in any gear [and i am driving in that gear] I can wag my shifter about an inch side to side in that gear...Is that the way it is??? or what do I do next to solve or abate this phenom...all my gears work well its just this extreme play that concerns me...Thanks in advance...you guys all rock...this is the most responsive board on the net...i wish there was one just like it for the 911
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
bd1308
post Feb 15 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

my 914 does that only in first gear, wants to go down into gear then move a centimeter or so to the right. i have a 74 2.0L (side shifter)
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 15 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #3

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

okay, an inch of play is not bad at all, getting it less might be possible but.... have you checked all the bushings, and the cone screws. look at it this way there is about a 4 to 1 ratio of the shifter to the shift bars in the tranny, so that means there MAYBE a 1/4 inch play in the tranny. or you could have a 1/32 slop in every connection that just add up to one inch at the shifter.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 15 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

not that uncommon. check the ball cup bushing where the linkage enters the trans.

k
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Feb 15 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #5

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Check all of the bushings in the linkage. I bought a complete bushing kit, it was pretty cheap, and it was pretty easy to install. The back ball and cup bushing was totally gone. This improved things quite a bit. If this still isn't good enough, buy a RennShift. I don't have one, but they're supposed to be great!

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 15 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #6

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Feb 15 2005, 08:50 AM)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) Check all of the bushings in the linkage. I bought a complete bushing kit, it was pretty cheap, and it was pretty easy to install. The back ball and cup bushing was totally gone. This improved things quite a bit. If this still isn't good enough, buy a RennShift. I don't have one, but they're supposed to be great!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) yupp, in that order. replace all the bushings in your linkage, make sure the firewall bushing is tight.

then buy a RennShift ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Mar 8 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,060

Yep 1" dont sound bad but still check all three or so bushings supporting the main shaft. one just behind shifter one under boot under car firewall and one near the tail end of the shaft. If you get any play it may be too much.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:56 AM