Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rj777
Can you 914 gurus help??? I just took apart the front part of my shifter mech on 75 914 1.8...I replaced a bushing that wasn't there that connects the shifter to the long linkage and put back in one of the guide springs where the cir clip had broken...after several attempts at getting the gears to shift right i achieved good shifting for a 914...Now my question is this...When I am in any gear [and i am driving in that gear] I can wag my shifter about an inch side to side in that gear...Is that the way it is??? or what do I do next to solve or abate this phenom...all my gears work well its just this extreme play that concerns me...Thanks in advance...you guys all rock...this is the most responsive board on the net...i wish there was one just like it for the 911
bd1308
my 914 does that only in first gear, wants to go down into gear then move a centimeter or so to the right. i have a 74 2.0L (side shifter)
scotty914
okay, an inch of play is not bad at all, getting it less might be possible but.... have you checked all the bushings, and the cone screws. look at it this way there is about a 4 to 1 ratio of the shifter to the shift bars in the tranny, so that means there MAYBE a 1/4 inch play in the tranny. or you could have a 1/32 slop in every connection that just add up to one inch at the shifter.
rhodyguy
not that uncommon. check the ball cup bushing where the linkage enters the trans.

k
mike_the_man
agree.gif Check all of the bushings in the linkage. I bought a complete bushing kit, it was pretty cheap, and it was pretty easy to install. The back ball and cup bushing was totally gone. This improved things quite a bit. If this still isn't good enough, buy a RennShift. I don't have one, but they're supposed to be great!

SirAndy
QUOTE (mike_the_man @ Feb 15 2005, 08:50 AM)
agree.gif Check all of the bushings in the linkage. I bought a complete bushing kit, it was pretty cheap, and it was pretty easy to install. The back ball and cup bushing was totally gone. This improved things quite a bit. If this still isn't good enough, buy a RennShift. I don't have one, but they're supposed to be great!

agree.gif yupp, in that order. replace all the bushings in your linkage, make sure the firewall bushing is tight.

then buy a RennShift ...
biggrin.gif Andy
DJsRepS
Yep 1" dont sound bad but still check all three or so bushings supporting the main shaft. one just behind shifter one under boot under car firewall and one near the tail end of the shaft. If you get any play it may be too much.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.