Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> You'll find always some rust..., ... but I've taken care of it
thieuster
post Apr 15 2015, 04:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

I took the rockers off and found that the jack receiving pyramids were rusty - I feared for the worst, but after grinding them off, things looked not so bad.

I replaced them and took care of the seams with modern day kit. I will put some 'body schutz' on it and have it sprayed in the body color.

Next job: the area under the spare wheel. A little rusty. In the center, a hole the size of a nickel. I will enlarge the hole a little until it's perfectly round.

Then, the modification sets in... I'm going to fabricate some sort of self draining device, like you can find on a small sailing dinghy. The airflow under the car will create some sort of vacuum and it will suck out all the water. A proven system: I have it in my Saabs and TRs as well. (Granted, my classics don't see much rain...)

Some pics:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1429094997.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1429094998.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1429094998.3.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Apr 15 2015, 05:30 AM
Post #2

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Glad to see you haven't found any major rust! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Apr 15 2015, 06:04 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 15 2015, 01:30 PM) *

Glad to see you haven't found any major rust! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

You are right!

Next week, I'll drop the engine and have a look there. I'll remove the black blanket that's on the fire wall and check there and off course near the hell hole etc.

After that, a light respray of the engine bay, new sound&heat barrier (tips are welcome) and replacing the seals of the pushrod tubes. Finally, cleaning the heat exchangers (lots of oil on top of these) and proper brake bleeding. That will do the trick!

Menno
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 15 2015, 08:01 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 05:04 AM) *
...new sound&heat barrier (tips are welcome) ...

Tip #1: Don't bother. The stock firewall pad is mostly good for holding water against the firewall, promoting rust. It is slightly less good at falling off the firewall, blocking airflow to the fan. It is also pretty good at just plain being heavy.

Tip #2: You can use something modern on the inside of the firewall--in the cabin. That will help at least as much with the noise and heat as the stock pad did, and is far less likely to cause problems.

--DD
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Apr 15 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Both tips sound good to me! And I like the fact that -with a metallic silver car like mine- the absence of the black insulation blanket it will make the engine bay less dark-ish.

Is there a premium quality insulation material that's thin enough to fit behind the seats& cover? Dynamite? Or a material that can be sprayed on with a spray gun?

Menno
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Apr 15 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 09:21 AM) *

Both tips sound good to me! And I like the fact that -with a metallic silver car like mine- the absence of the black insulation blanket it will make the engine bay less dark-ish.

Is there a premium quality insulation material that's thin enough to fit behind the seats& cover? Dynamite? Or a material that can be sprayed on with a spray gun?

Menno

Don't use dynamite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) use dynamat it's much quieter.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Apr 15 2015, 10:23 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(zambezi @ Apr 15 2015, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 09:21 AM) *

Menno

Don't use dynamite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) use dynamat it's much quieter.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) 'dynamite' turns up when I type 'dynamat'. The grammar police inside my MacBook doesn't know anything about classic cars restoration...

Menno
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 15 2015, 04:09 PM
Post #8

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 15 2015, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 05:04 AM) *
...new sound&heat barrier (tips are welcome) ...

Tip #1: Don't bother. The stock firewall pad is mostly good for holding water against the firewall, promoting rust. It is slightly less good at falling off the firewall, blocking airflow to the fan. It is also pretty good at just plain being heavy.

Tip #2: You can use something modern on the inside of the firewall--in the cabin. That will help at least as much with the noise and heat as the stock pad did, and is far less likely to cause problems.

--DD

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) After I removed my pad and welded in new steel I decided to do as Dave said. 86'd the mat and installed Dynamat on the interior side of the firewall. The bumps are SS bolt heads going into the engine compartment. I doubt you'll have those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 05:00 AM