Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You'll find always some rust...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
I took the rockers off and found that the jack receiving pyramids were rusty - I feared for the worst, but after grinding them off, things looked not so bad.

I replaced them and took care of the seams with modern day kit. I will put some 'body schutz' on it and have it sprayed in the body color.

Next job: the area under the spare wheel. A little rusty. In the center, a hole the size of a nickel. I will enlarge the hole a little until it's perfectly round.

Then, the modification sets in... I'm going to fabricate some sort of self draining device, like you can find on a small sailing dinghy. The airflow under the car will create some sort of vacuum and it will suck out all the water. A proven system: I have it in my Saabs and TRs as well. (Granted, my classics don't see much rain...)

Some pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
billh1963
Glad to see you haven't found any major rust! beer.gif
thieuster
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 15 2015, 01:30 PM) *

Glad to see you haven't found any major rust! beer.gif

You are right!

Next week, I'll drop the engine and have a look there. I'll remove the black blanket that's on the fire wall and check there and off course near the hell hole etc.

After that, a light respray of the engine bay, new sound&heat barrier (tips are welcome) and replacing the seals of the pushrod tubes. Finally, cleaning the heat exchangers (lots of oil on top of these) and proper brake bleeding. That will do the trick!

Menno
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 05:04 AM) *
...new sound&heat barrier (tips are welcome) ...

Tip #1: Don't bother. The stock firewall pad is mostly good for holding water against the firewall, promoting rust. It is slightly less good at falling off the firewall, blocking airflow to the fan. It is also pretty good at just plain being heavy.

Tip #2: You can use something modern on the inside of the firewall--in the cabin. That will help at least as much with the noise and heat as the stock pad did, and is far less likely to cause problems.

--DD
thieuster
Both tips sound good to me! And I like the fact that -with a metallic silver car like mine- the absence of the black insulation blanket it will make the engine bay less dark-ish.

Is there a premium quality insulation material that's thin enough to fit behind the seats& cover? Dynamite? Or a material that can be sprayed on with a spray gun?

Menno
zambezi
QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 09:21 AM) *

Both tips sound good to me! And I like the fact that -with a metallic silver car like mine- the absence of the black insulation blanket it will make the engine bay less dark-ish.

Is there a premium quality insulation material that's thin enough to fit behind the seats& cover? Dynamite? Or a material that can be sprayed on with a spray gun?

Menno

Don't use dynamite biggrin.gif use dynamat it's much quieter.
thieuster
QUOTE(zambezi @ Apr 15 2015, 06:07 PM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 09:21 AM) *

Menno

Don't use dynamite biggrin.gif use dynamat it's much quieter.

piratenanner.gif 'dynamite' turns up when I type 'dynamat'. The grammar police inside my MacBook doesn't know anything about classic cars restoration...

Menno
76-914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 15 2015, 07:01 AM) *

QUOTE(thieuster @ Apr 15 2015, 05:04 AM) *
...new sound&heat barrier (tips are welcome) ...

Tip #1: Don't bother. The stock firewall pad is mostly good for holding water against the firewall, promoting rust. It is slightly less good at falling off the firewall, blocking airflow to the fan. It is also pretty good at just plain being heavy.

Tip #2: You can use something modern on the inside of the firewall--in the cabin. That will help at least as much with the noise and heat as the stock pad did, and is far less likely to cause problems.

--DD

agree.gif After I removed my pad and welded in new steel I decided to do as Dave said. 86'd the mat and installed Dynamat on the interior side of the firewall. The bumps are SS bolt heads going into the engine compartment. I doubt you'll have those. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.