Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm going aluminum, Fuel lines
Allan
post Feb 16 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Teenerless Weenie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I've been researching different alternatives for replacing my fuel lines and, after talking to a bunch of motorheads and car builders around town I've just about decided to go with 3/8th inch aluminum. Input from you guys would be appreciated before I actually do anything. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Feb 16 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #2

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

how about stainless steel? why did everyone recommend aluminum?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 16 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #3

Teenerless Weenie

Seemed to be a general concensus that it has proven reliable on the track as well as ease of installation.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Feb 16 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #4

robots!

i don't know why, buy i don't think aluminum would be all that great. aluminum doesn't really bend all that well, right?
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 16 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #5

Teenerless Weenie

Seems to work here okay.
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Feb 16 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 391

The aluminum will get brittle from the chemicals in our wonderful modern gasoline and vibration will probably cause cracks. I used 3/8 inch stainless brake line from NAPA when I did ours and it works fine.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Feb 16 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #7

robots!

stainless would be stronger. it would be pretty easy to accidentaly crush the aluminum lines when you're working on the car or something.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 16 2005, 06:48 PM
Post #8

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (john rogers @ Feb 16 2005, 06:41 PM)
The aluminum will get brittle from the chemicals in our wonderful modern gasoline and vibration will probably cause cracks. I used 3/8 inch stainless brake line from NAPA when I did ours and it works fine.

aluminum age hardens and work hardens......both are bad for lines you dont want to crack....use stainess
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 16 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Teenerless Weenie

One of the guys I talked to has a '68 Chevy 4x4 that he restored in '82 and drives it out in the desert all the time. Says he has never had a problem with them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Feb 16 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #10

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Aluminum actually bends really easy... but it all depends on what alloy you use. What aluminum tubing did everyone you talked to suggest? What supplier?

Everything work hardens. Like all materials, the more you cold work it the more likely its giong to tear. A one-time bend with some aluminum tubing isn't going to be a problem (again, depending on the alloy).
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 16 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #11

Teenerless Weenie

These were mentioned #1 and #2. Oh yeah, 5052 is recommended.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 16 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #12

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Unless it's properly secured and in well fitting brackets and bushings, I wouldn't use aluminum. We see fatigue related failures in aluminum tubing all the time. I see NO benefit over steel or SS, but then I stick to the stock plastic in both my own cars and those of customers. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #13

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

I would not go with aluminum, yes it bends easily but it also cracks easily. Think about how much twisting and flexing your car does going down the road. Unless you do some seriously hard attaching I don't think it is a good idea. My oldest car is a 51 Lincoln,it still has the original steel lines and they do just fine. I personally don't see any reason not to go with steel but I do see many reasons not to use aluminum. Get a metallurgy book and read up on aluminum and you will see why not to.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 16 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Summit Racing sells the Russell aluminum fuel lines and appropriate connections....just use some common sense, make sure you use rubber insulated clamps, use rubber lines in-between any two mounting points that vibrate (from chassis to motor)...

if the lines flexed while mounted in the center console to start to work harden, you have bigger problems to worry about (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Oh yea, I'd pony up the extra money and get a 25' roll of both colors, red and blue, use one for (red) for the high pressure or fuel going to the motor and use the blue for the return line.

The Russell line is rated for 250psi

Let me know if you go this route, I'll split a roll of each color with you.....
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Feb 16 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #15

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

My 912 had an aluminum line stock. I still have it sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Hey Mueller, post a link or something. I wouldn't mind taking a look.

-Britain
+Quote Post
BigD9146gt
post Feb 16 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #16

OCD member

Member No.: 3,502
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I should keep my mouth shut, and I'm not trying to be dick, but you guys who are saying "no" need to do more research. If you wouldn't want to use aluminum from a preference point, thats cool, no arguement here.

But how much flex does the 914 encounter along the center tunnel? And "A lot" is a pointless answer. Lets work this out... Over the lenth of 5 ft, at the center tunnel, the chassis flexes, but how much change in direction do you get? Even in angular rotation, maybe 5 degrees...

It seems like a lot more, but think about where your sitting and what your looking at when all of this occurs. Your sitting on the side, looking at the outter corners of the car raising and lowering with the only reference being the ground that your traveling over. Where we sit is not a reference point for what goes on in the tunnels.

"Aluminum cracks easily": which alloy are you talking about? 3000 series is very flexable, thats what a lot of people use as body panel forming. 5000 series is used widely on aircraft, and i use it on the oil tanks because i can bend it and it doesn;t crack at the seam like the 6000 series does.

Its all about application, and if everyone did just a little bit of homework, life would be soo much easier. But all it takes is one person to say "NO WAY!", "YOU CAN'T!", then everyone that reads it takes it for the truth.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 16 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Feb 16 2005, 06:12 PM)
My 912 had an aluminum line stock. I still have it sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Hey Mueller, post a link or something. I wouldn't mind taking a look.

-Britain

here you go:

Russell Performance Aluminum fuel lines
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 16 2005, 07:35 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

I should keep my mouth shut, and I'm not trying to be dick, but you guys who are saying "no" need to do more research

I always respect the Cap'ns advice (don't follow it all the time, LOL)...a few (2) of the other guys are just quoting stuff and have not been working on cars or anything long enough to give out "known" knowledge (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 16 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #19

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

I simply stated my opinion on the subject. I HAVE been working on cars for a living for 12 years and think I have enough knowledge to state MY OPINION. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest over this and will admit I'm not a metallurgist but I do know how aluminum works and I do know that the cars flex and I do know that the stress points on the line will be where they ENTER and EXIT the tunnel not in the tunnel. Do as you please, I read the beginning and understood that opinions were wanted so I gave my OPINION.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 16 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

QUOTE (scotty b @ Feb 16 2005, 06:45 PM)
I simply stated my opinion on the subject. I HAVE been working on cars for a living for 12 years and think I have enough knowledge to state MY OPINION. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest over this and will admit I'm not a metallurgist but I do know how aluminum works and I do know that the cars flex and I do know that the stress points on the line will be where they ENTER and EXIT the tunnel not in the tunnel. Do as you please, I read the beginning and understood that opinions were wanted so I gave my OPINION.

i think he was talking about the other 2 guys (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

i found another "scott" for you (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 01:55 AM