Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Family Car, Making progress for reveal at the family Christmas!!
914Next
post Apr 23 2015, 08:43 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,695
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Great Story. Great Car.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Apr 23 2015, 09:03 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mr.Nobody @ Apr 22 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Hello 914World!!!!

Thanks for letting me stalk your forums but I guess it's time to pipe up!!

First off, I'm sure you guys know it but what a killer resource this place is. I already met a few of your members a few weeks ago and they were nothing less than phenomenal representatives of this community.

Second, My grandfather bought this 1972 1.7 liter brand new off the lot. It really was the possession he purchased for himself when he had finally made it. He's had it since and it's his pride and joy.

I was born in 1982. Ever since I can remember the car has been in my life. Cruising topless was amazing when I was a kid. I can remember playing in the car, racing, chasing robbers, flying spaceships even. And so can every one of my cousins. It's an integral part of my family.

A number of years ago he told me one day it would be mine. I was the one in the family chosen to take car of it when he was gone.

Well, sure enough, he decided to give it to me early. I picked it up the other day with my wife, and my dad. Together we trailered it back home. It's been a little neglected over the recent years understandably due to his age, but honestly it's about as close as one can get to a one owner, never wrecked, (almost) rust free 914. And to me it's priceless.

Hope you guys like the pics, I'll have more in the future as I start making headway, but for now, I'm reading up. Lots of reading (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I plan to keep it a streetable ride with much better performance. No cage or nothing, but it will get a new suspension and brakes amongst a host of other items. The interior will be kept oem looking with some modern comfort.

I know a lot of people hold the notion of restoring it to stock. There's definitely a value in that, but it's not for this car.

The truth with this car is that it's not original paint, lots of parts have been swapped, and the cost to go full oem original would be astronomical. I will not be selling the car ever and my wife knows and she agrees with that decision. The car will be built for our liking and for the joy of my family when I bring it to family events. Everyone in the family agrees that the 914 was always lacking a little something. I plan to give it that. The car will remain relatively tame and stock looking, no chopped windshield, cage, etc. However it's going to get upgrades in the power, suspension, brakes departments.

The interior will be cleaned up and returned to close to stock. Radio removed, stock seats etc.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing you on the forums to pick your brains, and out on the road! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Great story and congratulations. It is always better when the car has a great history like yours. Enjoy your ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Briby37
post Apr 23 2015, 09:30 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,049
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome story & car! I'm still pretty new here myself, but welcome!
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Apr 23 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

If your car is reliable enough to make the 6 hour drive up to San Simeon, you might consider bringing the car to the 2015 West Coast Ramble, April 30th - May 3rd. Great way to meet a bunch of fellow 914 lunatics ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...244971&st=0
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Apr 23 2015, 09:34 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 16,470

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) just never, never put it on jack stands. Our cars seem to get very comfortable on them.
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 18,557

The car is unfortunately not quite road ready. Like I said, it needs to be gone through for safety purposes. It's literally been in the garage for 15 years. Garaged it's entire life, but rarely driven the last 15. Before that it was a workhorse for my family and their business back in the 70s and 80's. My Dad can remember ripping around L.A. back in the day running family errands. It was a driver for sure. It says 22k on the clock, but I can guarantee that 122k is more realistic.

On the agenda for now is installing the new battery, rebuilding the calipers, replacing brake lines (not looking forward to the rear) flushing the fluid. Replacing all vacuum hoses, oil change, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and associated components. Also belts, timing and injector seals, valve covers. Once that stuff is taken care of, it should be ready to start some test cruises. Smaller distances first, then farther.

I'd love to go to San Simeon, unfortunately I'll be in Texas visiting family. Soon enough though. The current goal is to be able to bring the car to the family Christmas gathering.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Apr 23 2015, 10:12 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
Nice 914, your grandfather made a wise decision in his purchase (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Look forward to seeing your car/ meeting up in So Cal!
Marty
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 10:20 AM
Post #28

These just arrived in the mail. Should help me develop a plan.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i33.photobucket.com-18557-1429806033.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 23 2015, 10:30 AM
Post #29

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Dealing with the "bumper tits" can be easy, or difficult. The easy way is to unbolt them (remove the bumper to do that; four bolts hold it in) and put some carriage bolts of the right size in. Cut off the excess threads so the bumper still fits. There might even be chrome plugs that are small enough to fit the holes instead.

Another easy way would be to replace the bumper with a good 70-72 version, but that is more expensive.

The most difficult way (that I know of) is to have the holes welded up and the bumper re-finished and re-chromed.

The center console you have is the 70-72 "center deposit" style, so that is appropriate for a 72.

Awesome story, BTW. Keep us updated on your progress! And I strongly recommend keeping the car driveable as much as possible. When these cars go up on jack stands, it can be very difficult to get them down again...

--DD
+Quote Post
72 IXXIV
post Apr 23 2015, 10:41 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 18,277

Great to see it stay in the family. That must make your Grandfather proud.

Nicely done, Mr. Nobody!
+Quote Post
colingreene
post Apr 23 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 16,526

If you need any heavy duty help, I am not that far away, i could always come down for the day.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 23 2015, 10:59 AM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) You are definitely in the right place. Great group of people & very helpful. Looks like you have a good plan to start. Congrats
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 23 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #33

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 23 2015, 11:09 AM
Post #34

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Great story. Get it going and drive it like you stole it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #35

Dave, thanks for the info on the bumpers. I'll probably just go the removal and plug route until I can find and afford a nice set of bumpers.

I'll take your advice on keeping it off stands.

Colin, thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.
+Quote Post
green914
post Apr 23 2015, 11:14 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 12,874

Great story / nice car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 23 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #37

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Great story & a big responsibility, so keep it in the family for the next generation!

I see Coronado there in your info - so how about planning to bring Grandpa out to the Speedfest this September with "his 914" & park it in the PCA club corral, which is right on the track (no low life regulars parking out in the boonies!), the pits are open to all to see cars up close & visit with drivers/crews, plus the airshow. Of course, being a Coronado resident, you probably already know all that.

And the SD PCA puts on a great spread of food & refreshments at their tent every year - that alone is well worth the $46 annual PCA dues - not to mention 2 magazines a month (Panorama & SDR's local mag.) & member discounts at dealers for parts & accessories, many free events + for fee ones, etc.

You can make it a 2 day event, & take Grandpa one day & the wife the other - just to keep everyone happy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Apr 23 2015, 11:36 AM
Post #38

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Nice car!
+Quote Post
krazykonrad
post Apr 23 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 5,610

+Quote Post
Mr.Nobody
post Apr 23 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #40

Tom, not a bad idea. Shockingly enough I've never been to the Speed Festival. The base is a mad house when it's happening. I love the car show up town though. I like the idea of it though. Maybe I can have the car semi ready by then and use it as a pre trip before Christmas.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:09 AM