Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Family Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mr.Nobody
Hello 914World!!!!

Thanks for letting me stalk your forums but I guess it's time to pipe up!!

First off, I'm sure you guys know it but what a killer resource this place is. I already met a few of your members a few weeks ago and they were nothing less than phenomenal representatives of this community.

Second, My grandfather bought this 1972 1.7 liter brand new off the lot. It really was the possession he purchased for himself when he had finally made it. He's had it since and it's his pride and joy.

I was born in 1982. Ever since I can remember the car has been in my life. Cruising topless was amazing when I was a kid. I can remember playing in the car, racing, chasing robbers, flying spaceships even. And so can every one of my cousins. It's an integral part of my family.

A number of years ago he told me one day it would be mine. I was the one in the family chosen to take car of it when he was gone.

Well, sure enough, he decided to give it to me early. I picked it up the other day with my wife, and my dad. Together we trailered it back home. It's been a little neglected over the recent years understandably due to his age, but honestly it's about as close as one can get to a one owner, never wrecked, (almost) rust free 914. And to me it's priceless.

Hope you guys like the pics, I'll have more in the future as I start making headway, but for now, I'm reading up. Lots of reading popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I plan to keep it a streetable ride with much better performance. No cage or nothing, but it will get a new suspension and brakes amongst a host of other items. The interior will be kept oem looking with some modern comfort.

I know a lot of people hold the notion of restoring it to stock. There's definitely a value in that, but it's not for this car.

The truth with this car is that it's not original paint, lots of parts have been swapped, and the cost to go full oem original would be astronomical. I will not be selling the car ever and my wife knows and she agrees with that decision. The car will be built for our liking and for the joy of my family when I bring it to family events. Everyone in the family agrees that the 914 was always lacking a little something. I plan to give it that. The car will remain relatively tame and stock looking, no chopped windshield, cage, etc. However it's going to get upgrades in the power, suspension, brakes departments.

The interior will be cleaned up and returned to close to stock. Radio removed, stock seats etc.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing you on the forums to pick your brains, and out on the road! first.gif
RAX914
Welcome, nice car!

But with the front bumper tits and the center console, are you sure it's not a '73? I have a '72 as well, so those items stuck out to me.
Cuda911
Wow... congrats.... what a great story!!

If your gramps is OK with it, I'd take off those side bumper guards.... kinda ruins the profile a bit... but a minor gripe.

The car looks like a beauty, and the back-story is great... enjoy!

I'm often in Coronado and will keep an eye out for it.
type47fan
welcome.png Welcome Andy!

I'm happy that your first impressions of the 914WORLD have been positive.

Your ideas about the vision you have for YOUR car are very similar to 95% of the members here. It's yours and you get to make, live with, and enjoy the results of your work.

You'll have access to the resources and experience of the community. It's always amazed me to see, and experience, the level of interest and support that is offered freely here.

My first 914 was a '72.

My wife also enjoyed driving it.

Enjoy!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mr.Nobody
Funny, you guys picked up on two of my major gripes with the car.

I can't stand the "bumper tits." Never liked them, they'll be going away.

The car is definitely a 72. Build date is actually 12/71. There was an ossue years ago with the bumpers and they were replaced. The center console I'm sure was added for convenience as well.

The side bumpers kill me to. I much prefer the smooth look. I'd love to pull them today, but I'm not sure if there are holes under them for the mounting. I'd hate
to pull them off and find out I now have 15 tiny holes along the sides of the car. Anyone know if I'm correct?
Mr.Nobody
Wayne your 72 was awesome!! Love the color.

Cuda, although I live in Coronado, the car itself is actually stored in Fallbrook. More room to work, secure garage, etc.
rktmn247
You are very lucky and that is a great story! Welcome to the World!
Mr.Nobody
Another thing I noticed when I was tinkering. My family remembers the car as always having a Porsche crest. They has no idea it wasn't a “factory” item.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Looks legit from the dealer to me. Any one else have any input?

Sorry for the gigantic pics. Unsure how to resize in photobucket.
Big Len
Great story. Far more than a nice car, it's a family heirloom. Best of luck.
JawjaPorsche
Anyone that owns at 914 is NOT a Nobody!

Some dealers would install the crest if owner wanted it. Pretty sure that side molding was installed with holes drilled in the side. sad.gif

My input: your awesome 914 would look better if rockers and gravel pans were painted black.

welcome.png
Bulldog9
Great story! This is the kind of story we all hope to have.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Wonderful story and it is terrific that the car stays in the family with someone to carry one caring for and loving it. Yeah, I bet the body side strips are riveted to the car- that is the way those were done back in the day.

I like the idea of upgrading the performance aspects yet keeping the appearance mostly stock. You have to do what it is you want to keep the car enjoyable.

As you have already figured out, take your time and prioritize your projects so as to not get overwhelmed and have the car in pieces. This is the best car site you will ever find and there are tons of seriously talented people here to address any concern you may have.

I would have never made it this far with my car without the terrific people here who are always willing to help.

Best wishes and have fun - Oh, and post some more pictures of the car please.
Mr.Nobody
Haha, the Nobody thing is a running joke. If you can't laugh at yourself, how can you make fun of others? poke.gif

Bummer about the rivets, I kind of figured that. Unfortunately 3m hasn't ben around all that long.

I've already begun making lists of what to tackle. All together, it's a LOT of work and extremely overwhelming. When looked at in sections and over time, it's manageable.

I'll have more photos soon. Need to start ordering some parts soon. I have a bit of travel coming up. It'd be nice to come home to boxes of parts. red914.jpg

ThePaintedMan
Welcome to the madness! welcome.png
struckn
welcome.png

Car looks great......leave the side molding until, if ever, you are going to repaint the entire car. Concentrate on any mechanical issues or upgrades, take your time and enjoy driving it.

I have a 69 Chevy Pickup truck that my Dad bought new and know that it will remain in the family as long as it runs and is safe to pass on. It's value is priceless!

driving.gif

76-914
Congrats. You look like a very happy man in those pic's. Apparently your Gramps knew the "right" grandchild to receive his Threasure. Look for ward to your post's on it. I'm over the hill in Temecula if you need help, on day. beerchug.gif Kent
aharder
welcome.png Your going to enjoy this madness !!
bandjoey
Great looking car to start with. I think the door bumper strips have to be pushed forward or backwards to slide off the clips. The clips are riveted tied on. Check with a body shop or google to be sure. Will be watching the restoration.
Larmo63
What a great legacy your grandfather gave you. It looks like he customized things a bit, but it's nothing that can't be fixed/changed back.

At least it gives you a lot to do as far as making it "your" car. Good luck, and welcome.png
aircooledtechguy
Sweet ride with an awesome family history behind it!! Congrats on the great car!! beerchug.gif
914Next
welcome.png Great Story. Great Car.
pdlightning
QUOTE(Mr.Nobody @ Apr 22 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Hello 914World!!!!

Thanks for letting me stalk your forums but I guess it's time to pipe up!!

First off, I'm sure you guys know it but what a killer resource this place is. I already met a few of your members a few weeks ago and they were nothing less than phenomenal representatives of this community.

Second, My grandfather bought this 1972 1.7 liter brand new off the lot. It really was the possession he purchased for himself when he had finally made it. He's had it since and it's his pride and joy.

I was born in 1982. Ever since I can remember the car has been in my life. Cruising topless was amazing when I was a kid. I can remember playing in the car, racing, chasing robbers, flying spaceships even. And so can every one of my cousins. It's an integral part of my family.

A number of years ago he told me one day it would be mine. I was the one in the family chosen to take car of it when he was gone.

Well, sure enough, he decided to give it to me early. I picked it up the other day with my wife, and my dad. Together we trailered it back home. It's been a little neglected over the recent years understandably due to his age, but honestly it's about as close as one can get to a one owner, never wrecked, (almost) rust free 914. And to me it's priceless.

Hope you guys like the pics, I'll have more in the future as I start making headway, but for now, I'm reading up. Lots of reading popcorn[1].gif

I plan to keep it a streetable ride with much better performance. No cage or nothing, but it will get a new suspension and brakes amongst a host of other items. The interior will be kept oem looking with some modern comfort.

I know a lot of people hold the notion of restoring it to stock. There's definitely a value in that, but it's not for this car.

The truth with this car is that it's not original paint, lots of parts have been swapped, and the cost to go full oem original would be astronomical. I will not be selling the car ever and my wife knows and she agrees with that decision. The car will be built for our liking and for the joy of my family when I bring it to family events. Everyone in the family agrees that the 914 was always lacking a little something. I plan to give it that. The car will remain relatively tame and stock looking, no chopped windshield, cage, etc. However it's going to get upgrades in the power, suspension, brakes departments.

The interior will be cleaned up and returned to close to stock. Radio removed, stock seats etc.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing you on the forums to pick your brains, and out on the road! first.gif

Great story and congratulations. It is always better when the car has a great history like yours. Enjoy your ride! beerchug.gif
Briby37
Awesome story & car! I'm still pretty new here myself, but welcome!
dlkawashima
If your car is reliable enough to make the 6 hour drive up to San Simeon, you might consider bringing the car to the 2015 West Coast Ramble, April 30th - May 3rd. Great way to meet a bunch of fellow 914 lunatics ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...244971&st=0
Blue6
welcome.png just never, never put it on jack stands. Our cars seem to get very comfortable on them.
Mr.Nobody
The car is unfortunately not quite road ready. Like I said, it needs to be gone through for safety purposes. It's literally been in the garage for 15 years. Garaged it's entire life, but rarely driven the last 15. Before that it was a workhorse for my family and their business back in the 70s and 80's. My Dad can remember ripping around L.A. back in the day running family errands. It was a driver for sure. It says 22k on the clock, but I can guarantee that 122k is more realistic.

On the agenda for now is installing the new battery, rebuilding the calipers, replacing brake lines (not looking forward to the rear) flushing the fluid. Replacing all vacuum hoses, oil change, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, and associated components. Also belts, timing and injector seals, valve covers. Once that stuff is taken care of, it should be ready to start some test cruises. Smaller distances first, then farther.

I'd love to go to San Simeon, unfortunately I'll be in Texas visiting family. Soon enough though. The current goal is to be able to bring the car to the family Christmas gathering.
Maltese Falcon
welcome.png
Nice 914, your grandfather made a wise decision in his purchase driving.gif
Look forward to seeing your car/ meeting up in So Cal!
Marty
Mr.Nobody
These just arrived in the mail. Should help me develop a plan.

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Dealing with the "bumper tits" can be easy, or difficult. The easy way is to unbolt them (remove the bumper to do that; four bolts hold it in) and put some carriage bolts of the right size in. Cut off the excess threads so the bumper still fits. There might even be chrome plugs that are small enough to fit the holes instead.

Another easy way would be to replace the bumper with a good 70-72 version, but that is more expensive.

The most difficult way (that I know of) is to have the holes welded up and the bumper re-finished and re-chromed.

The center console you have is the 70-72 "center deposit" style, so that is appropriate for a 72.

Awesome story, BTW. Keep us updated on your progress! And I strongly recommend keeping the car driveable as much as possible. When these cars go up on jack stands, it can be very difficult to get them down again...

--DD
72 IXXIV
Great to see it stay in the family. That must make your Grandfather proud.

Nicely done, Mr. Nobody!
colingreene
If you need any heavy duty help, I am not that far away, i could always come down for the day.
JRust
welcome.png You are definitely in the right place. Great group of people & very helpful. Looks like you have a good plan to start. Congrats
SirAndy
welcome.png
rick 918-S
Great story. Get it going and drive it like you stole it! aktion035.gif welcome.png
Mr.Nobody
Dave, thanks for the info on the bumpers. I'll probably just go the removal and plug route until I can find and afford a nice set of bumpers.

I'll take your advice on keeping it off stands.

Colin, thanks for the offer. Much appreciated.
green914
Great story / nice car. agree.gif welcome.png
Tom_T
welcome.png

Great story & a big responsibility, so keep it in the family for the next generation!

I see Coronado there in your info - so how about planning to bring Grandpa out to the Speedfest this September with "his 914" & park it in the PCA club corral, which is right on the track (no low life regulars parking out in the boonies!), the pits are open to all to see cars up close & visit with drivers/crews, plus the airshow. Of course, being a Coronado resident, you probably already know all that.

And the SD PCA puts on a great spread of food & refreshments at their tent every year - that alone is well worth the $46 annual PCA dues - not to mention 2 magazines a month (Panorama & SDR's local mag.) & member discounts at dealers for parts & accessories, many free events + for fee ones, etc.

You can make it a 2 day event, & take Grandpa one day & the wife the other - just to keep everyone happy! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Nice car!
krazykonrad
welcome.png
Mr.Nobody
Tom, not a bad idea. Shockingly enough I've never been to the Speed Festival. The base is a mad house when it's happening. I love the car show up town though. I like the idea of it though. Maybe I can have the car semi ready by then and use it as a pre trip before Christmas.
Larmo63
Now that Mr. Nobody has a 914, we might have to refer to him as "Mr. Somebody."
r_towle
Great story and cherish the car forever.

Many of us will be happy to help however we can to make sure you do just that.

rich
francar
great car welcome.png
Michael N
welcome.png Be careful these cars multiply quickly. You'll soon find yourself on Craigslist looking for the next one.
bcheney
welcome.png

Love the story your grandad has great taste and passing the torch to you is so cool...all he best!
rpg5553
Congrats, Nothing like passing the torch on to the next generation.
Im 70 now and will be giving my Healey to my daughter soon so that she and the grand kids will continue to enjoy it.

She still talks about the times id turn the lights off on the spooky windy road in Ohio at nite and we would go flying down it. Met another idiot one nite coming the other way probably doing the same thing with his daughter!

Enjoy the ride
Ronnie G
tumamilhem
QUOTE(Mr.Nobody @ Apr 23 2015, 03:48 AM) *

Another thing I noticed when I was tinkering. My family remembers the car as always having a Porsche crest. They has no idea it wasn't a “factory” item.

Looks legit from the dealer to me. Any one else have any input?

Sorry for the gigantic pics. Unsure how to resize in photobucket.

Hey Andy! I shared your fb post of this story the other day. Great story and welcome to the club! BTW that's an orange bar badge. Worth $$$$. smile.gif
olsib914
wonderful story and by the smile on your face grandpa made the wise choice. I own almost the same. early 72, bahia red with riviera rims. Bought mine from original lady school teacher. It too had spent some time hiding in a garage. Towed to a friends shop and replaced ALL fuel lines, brake lines, flushed all fluids tuned it and started to enjoy the ride. still needs cosmetics. has about 130,000 miles and yea the 1.7 is not a speed demon, but a hoot to drive. So my point being that since I am closer to gramps age than yours, get it running, make it safe, and DRIVE it driving.gif
Palmer
Mr.Nobody
Thanks for all the kind words. My wife just gave me the go ahead to order the first round of parts so time to place some orders!!

I thought the badge was one of the older ones. It seemed to meet all the criteria from what I could tell. I definitely will not be selling it though, my grandfather wanted it on the car, it'll be staying on the car. driving.gif
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

You're Grampa must be a good guy.

Get the car safe first, mainly fuel, brakes, rust, and tires.
Do a thorough inspection so you have a full list of to dos.
Have a realistic budget plus a contingent amount.
Be patient.
Enjoy the process.
Lastly, it's your car, don't build it for the purists or for someone else's idea of what it should be. Take your time, drive a few with mods and then move forward. A full race ready 914 is too harsh on the street for some.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.