Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> replacing my 6 rear trunk floor pan, how many digits does your six stamp # have?
altitude411
post Apr 28 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #1

I drove my 6 into a tree

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Question for you guys that have replaced your rear trunk floor pan. What did you do about the chassis stamp number? Looking for ideas.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Apr 28 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #2

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Dont cut it out. Trim the replacment part to fit. My car was missing that whole section so i never had the option.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 28 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #3

I drove my 6 into a tree

I definitely don't want to cut it out... Just don't want it to look like it's been hacked and I have some rust issues close to the stamp. I know this thread is worthless without pics... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I guess some ideas (reassurance) as to where to cut the original pan?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 28 2015, 10:22 PM
Post #4

I drove my 6 into a tree

Attached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 28 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #5

I drove my 6 into a tree

Another question about the stamp #132522 ... I know that the 1 represents (production body) and 3 represents (Karmann 914/6) but the 2 seems odd as it is a '70. Isn't there suppose to be a 0 there to indicate the '70 model year?
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 29 2015, 05:44 PM
Post #6

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Someone commented on another thread that their Six transaxle number matches the last four of the trunk numbers. Coincidence? If you have your COA, and it lists your transaxle number, is it consistent with your trunk number? Or if you believe you have the original transaxle still in the car does that match the trunk?

Personally, I would cut that original number out and have it welded into the new replacement panel. I would have pictures of before, during and after to cover the questions.

+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 29 2015, 06:51 PM
Post #7

I drove my 6 into a tree

Michael, thanks for your response, I was starting to wonder if everyone forgot to tell (Socal) Andy to put me on the "ignore'' list... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I have applied for my COA but haven't received it as yet. I'm not expecting too much from what I've read in the transmission COA thread. My transaxle number ( if I'm reading the right number) is 914/11HA0026115 which isn't close to the chassis stamp # in the trunk. The number under my dash is (1302542) but still researching that code to see if it is suppose to be the same as chassis number?Attached Image

I'm thinking along the same line as you about the documenting of the chassis # swap to a new trunk floor pan unless someone has a better suggestion.

I bet you are getting anxious to get your '71 back. I appreciate the thread on your car and the pictures Scotty is posting. Looking forward to many more of it when it returns to your driveway! Thanks again, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Anyone else who has suggestions or enlightenment before I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Apr 29 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,179
Region Association: None

Where is that number stamped on the pan. I want to try and find it on my car (unless it was only stamped on 6's)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 29 2015, 07:33 PM
Post #9

I drove my 6 into a tree

#'s in front of the rear trunk latch before the cross brace.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 29 2015, 08:13 PM
Post #10

Michael

My understanding is that the number written on the bottom of the dash should be the same as the number stamped in the rear trunk floor pan.

Recall my car had the rear trunk pan replaced (poorly) so Scotty put a new trunk pan in. He has my dash in storage now and once he pulls it down I am hoping it too has the number written on it. That is the number that should go in my trunk. I have my COA so I can't wait to compare that to the transaxle number listed for my car.

I just can't wait to see some primer on the tub at this point. That will be a milestone and then Scotty is planning (long-term) to shoot color the first part of September. I am hoping the car will be back to my by November..... 2015 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 29 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #11

I drove my 6 into a tree

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 29 2015, 08:13 PM) *

He has my dash in storage now and once he pulls it down I am hoping it too has the number written on it. That is the number that should go in my trunk.

I know Scotty is a metal magician but how is he going to pull that rabbit out of the hat? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

* maybe I could borrow the dies when he's finished stamping yours? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 29 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #12

Michael

as comical as that may seem, that might be exactly what we end up doing. There is no fraud as the car is mine, is a real 71 Six and the trunk panel was replaced due to damage. We know (I believe) the correct number from under the dash, and that s what belongs in the trunk. That is our plan at least....
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 29 2015, 10:25 PM
Post #13

I drove my 6 into a tree

I was seriously hoping you were going to say that.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/calvin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) The dies will most likely run a bit more than $14.99
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 29 2015, 10:53 PM
Post #14

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 29 2015, 07:13 PM) *
My understanding is that the number written on the bottom of the dash should be the same as the number stamped in the rear trunk floor pan.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Also, for a full trunk floor replacement, i'd cut out the original number and patch it into the replacement panel.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 29 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #15

I drove my 6 into a tree

Andy, thanks for dropping in. What's your take on the number stamped in the trunk pan? Can you elaborate on the decoding of the last four digits as to what they represent?
+Quote Post
Stapler
post Apr 29 2015, 11:45 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 9,787

Personally, I wouldn't cut out the stamp unless the rust damage makes it absolutely necessary.

You simply can't win if you do.

If one is honest they must tell any future buyer the stamp was:

1. Cut out and welded back in, or

2. Trunk replaced and re-stamped

Even if you've a COA and full video documentation of the entire repair including re-stamping or welding the stamp back in, it will raise suspicions.

Because, when the money goes up the honesty goes down.

My two cents.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 30 2015, 12:15 AM
Post #17

I drove my 6 into a tree

Stapler, I hear what your saying. I've looked at this for so long I'm going cross eyed. The area outlined in yellow is my concern. I can't cut out this portion of rust as it leaves too narrow of margin next to the stamp. It's not rot but fairly heavily rusted as to not wanting to leave it and as you know rusted metal can't be welded. I don't want to leave a rusted piece into the replacement pan. I just can't see a way to cut the metal around the stamp to weld in the new pan. That's why I'm posting to maybe get a fresh set of eyes and a solution I haven't thought of. So if you see a way as to how to leave the stamp and still get a replacement pan in I would like to hear it.

I know it may seem like a trivial matter to some, and some might say it's just a number but numbers are what make the difference. Just trying to do the best thing I can for this car.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Targa70
post Apr 30 2015, 03:55 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 15,683

Alt411,
I was in the same boat. I needed to replace my trunk but fretted over how to keep/recreate the stamp. I researched stamps and measured the letters, trying to make sure I got the font right.
My body man said "Ill just cut it out and weld it in the new floor pan, easy" Well he did, and it looks great. You can not detect a difference. I am pick up my newly painted shell on Saturday and will post a pic of the floor stamp.
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Apr 30 2015, 07:56 AM
Post #19

I drove my 6 into a tree

Thanks Targa70, I look forward to seeing it. A fresh, newly painted tub.... congratulations! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dance.gif)
+Quote Post
altitude411
post May 4 2015, 07:09 PM
Post #20

I drove my 6 into a tree

Well I'm still trying to verify my rear trunk stamp #.... I just got a reply from
db9146 (Thanks again D) whose sixes serial # is somewhat close to mine and he shows 7 digits on the rear trunk stamp #. I only have six digits in my stamp #. It seems to be missing the model year (0) which should be the third number in the series.

My question to those with a '70 six.... Can you post here your trunk stamp # so I can verify this damn thing please. Does anyone else have a six digit number instead of seven digits? My trunk floor pan looks to be original as all spot welds look authentic as does the rust... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Maybe the beer was flowing on a Friday afternoon and the dude who stamped my trunk screwed up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Under dash #
Attached Image

Rear trunk stamp #
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 10:12 PM