Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing my 6 rear trunk floor pan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
altitude411
Question for you guys that have replaced your rear trunk floor pan. What did you do about the chassis stamp number? Looking for ideas.
Socalandy
Dont cut it out. Trim the replacment part to fit. My car was missing that whole section so i never had the option.
altitude411
I definitely don't want to cut it out... Just don't want it to look like it's been hacked and I have some rust issues close to the stamp. I know this thread is worthless without pics... dry.gif I guess some ideas (reassurance) as to where to cut the original pan?
altitude411
Click to view attachment
altitude411
Another question about the stamp #132522 ... I know that the 1 represents (production body) and 3 represents (Karmann 914/6) but the 2 seems odd as it is a '70. Isn't there suppose to be a 0 there to indicate the '70 model year?
Cairo94507
Someone commented on another thread that their Six transaxle number matches the last four of the trunk numbers. Coincidence? If you have your COA, and it lists your transaxle number, is it consistent with your trunk number? Or if you believe you have the original transaxle still in the car does that match the trunk?

Personally, I would cut that original number out and have it welded into the new replacement panel. I would have pictures of before, during and after to cover the questions.

altitude411
Michael, thanks for your response, I was starting to wonder if everyone forgot to tell (Socal) Andy to put me on the "ignore'' list... confused24.gif biggrin.gif
I have applied for my COA but haven't received it as yet. I'm not expecting too much from what I've read in the transmission COA thread. My transaxle number ( if I'm reading the right number) is 914/11HA0026115 which isn't close to the chassis stamp # in the trunk. The number under my dash is (1302542) but still researching that code to see if it is suppose to be the same as chassis number?Click to view attachment

I'm thinking along the same line as you about the documenting of the chassis # swap to a new trunk floor pan unless someone has a better suggestion.

I bet you are getting anxious to get your '71 back. I appreciate the thread on your car and the pictures Scotty is posting. Looking forward to many more of it when it returns to your driveway! Thanks again, beerchug.gif

Anyone else who has suggestions or enlightenment before I sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
trojanhorsepower
Where is that number stamped on the pan. I want to try and find it on my car (unless it was only stamped on 6's)
altitude411
#'s in front of the rear trunk latch before the cross brace.
Cairo94507
My understanding is that the number written on the bottom of the dash should be the same as the number stamped in the rear trunk floor pan.

Recall my car had the rear trunk pan replaced (poorly) so Scotty put a new trunk pan in. He has my dash in storage now and once he pulls it down I am hoping it too has the number written on it. That is the number that should go in my trunk. I have my COA so I can't wait to compare that to the transaxle number listed for my car.

I just can't wait to see some primer on the tub at this point. That will be a milestone and then Scotty is planning (long-term) to shoot color the first part of September. I am hoping the car will be back to my by November..... 2015 rolleyes.gif
altitude411
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 29 2015, 08:13 PM) *

He has my dash in storage now and once he pulls it down I am hoping it too has the number written on it. That is the number that should go in my trunk.

I know Scotty is a metal magician but how is he going to pull that rabbit out of the hat? confused24.gif

* maybe I could borrow the dies when he's finished stamping yours? lol-2.gif
Cairo94507
as comical as that may seem, that might be exactly what we end up doing. There is no fraud as the car is mine, is a real 71 Six and the trunk panel was replaced due to damage. We know (I believe) the correct number from under the dash, and that s what belongs in the trunk. That is our plan at least....
altitude411
I was seriously hoping you were going to say that.... calvin.gif idea.gif The dies will most likely run a bit more than $14.99
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 29 2015, 07:13 PM) *
My understanding is that the number written on the bottom of the dash should be the same as the number stamped in the rear trunk floor pan.

agree.gif

Also, for a full trunk floor replacement, i'd cut out the original number and patch it into the replacement panel.
shades.gif
altitude411
Andy, thanks for dropping in. What's your take on the number stamped in the trunk pan? Can you elaborate on the decoding of the last four digits as to what they represent?
Stapler
Personally, I wouldn't cut out the stamp unless the rust damage makes it absolutely necessary.

You simply can't win if you do.

If one is honest they must tell any future buyer the stamp was:

1. Cut out and welded back in, or

2. Trunk replaced and re-stamped

Even if you've a COA and full video documentation of the entire repair including re-stamping or welding the stamp back in, it will raise suspicions.

Because, when the money goes up the honesty goes down.

My two cents.
altitude411
Stapler, I hear what your saying. I've looked at this for so long I'm going cross eyed. The area outlined in yellow is my concern. I can't cut out this portion of rust as it leaves too narrow of margin next to the stamp. It's not rot but fairly heavily rusted as to not wanting to leave it and as you know rusted metal can't be welded. I don't want to leave a rusted piece into the replacement pan. I just can't see a way to cut the metal around the stamp to weld in the new pan. That's why I'm posting to maybe get a fresh set of eyes and a solution I haven't thought of. So if you see a way as to how to leave the stamp and still get a replacement pan in I would like to hear it.

I know it may seem like a trivial matter to some, and some might say it's just a number but numbers are what make the difference. Just trying to do the best thing I can for this car.
Targa70
Alt411,
I was in the same boat. I needed to replace my trunk but fretted over how to keep/recreate the stamp. I researched stamps and measured the letters, trying to make sure I got the font right.
My body man said "Ill just cut it out and weld it in the new floor pan, easy" Well he did, and it looks great. You can not detect a difference. I am pick up my newly painted shell on Saturday and will post a pic of the floor stamp.
altitude411
Thanks Targa70, I look forward to seeing it. A fresh, newly painted tub.... congratulations! dance.gif
altitude411
Well I'm still trying to verify my rear trunk stamp #.... I just got a reply from
db9146 (Thanks again D) whose sixes serial # is somewhat close to mine and he shows 7 digits on the rear trunk stamp #. I only have six digits in my stamp #. It seems to be missing the model year (0) which should be the third number in the series.

My question to those with a '70 six.... Can you post here your trunk stamp # so I can verify this damn thing please. Does anyone else have a six digit number instead of seven digits? My trunk floor pan looks to be original as all spot welds look authentic as does the rust... lol-2.gif

beer3.gif Maybe the beer was flowing on a Friday afternoon and the dude who stamped my trunk screwed up? confused24.gif
Under dash #
Click to view attachment

Rear trunk stamp #
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
No problem on this car, the trunk floor needed to come out for the new drivetrain. I plan to graft the carefully removed # section back on to a flat metal surface in the same general area.
MartyClick to view attachment
altitude411
Marty, did your # have six or seven digits and is your car an original six?

* nice work thumb3d.gif
rgalla9146
1970 914043(1095 ) chassis # 131 279 pictured, can not read crayon under dash
1970 914043(2567 ) chassis # 132 330 no pictures, never looked at bottom of
dash
db9146
How tall are the stampings? I measured mine and the numbers are 1cm tall.

Click to view attachment
altitude411
rgalla9146 Thanks! Interesting... Your serial number is close to db9146's yet you have a six digit stamp and he has a seven digit stamp confused24.gif
I thought the third digit was suppose to show model year and your third digits show neither. I guess I need more data or go back and research some more. headbang.gif I am starting to believe I don't know what to believe. lol-2.gif

Db9146: mine are also 1cm stampings. Thanks for that. You guys' stampings look more professional than mine do... My guy was drunk.gif

Thank you both for posting.
SirAndy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 4 2015, 06:09 PM) *
Well I'm still trying to verify my rear trunk stamp #....

The chassis number in your trunk seems to be the correct one, it falls in line with other cars in your VIN range.

So either someone replaced the dash subframe at some point or your car is welded together out of two 914s.
popcorn[1].gif
PlaysWithCars
Good news, my 70 914-6 only has 5 digits as well. Also missing the '0'. Maybe there was a period of time when they didn't use 6 digits. My production date was In May.
altitude411
QUOTE(plays with cars @ May 4 2015, 10:01 PM) *

Good news, my 70 914-6 only has 5 digits as well. Also missing the '0'. Maybe there was a period of time when they didn't use 6 digits. My production date was In May.

Huh? You have a five digit stamp? Mine has six and others have seven... can you confirm?

Andy, are you saying the under dash number is suppose to match rear trunk stamp?
SirAndy
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 4 2015, 09:06 PM) *
Andy, are you saying the under dash number is suppose to match rear trunk stamp?

Yes, both should be the same.
The dash subframe was installed later in the production line and they just grabbed one from a big pile, which is why they normally never match the body color.
The line worker would then mark the dash with the chassis number of the car before installing it.
idea.gif
davep
I have been researching this for many years. Only on the 1970 914/6 did the chassis/production number not include the year digit; at least as far as I have found. The only exception that I know of is a very late 1970 with Sportomatic, and thus the hump in the rear trunk, which actually got a 1971 production number. With production # 2652 both body and dash match, but that may be a coincidence; the only other pair I have after that also matched, but my data is very thin. Otherwise the majority of 1970 production do not have matching dash & body.

Also, I have the trunk production # stamped in the center as shown in the photos above for the 1970 model year. Then for 1971 it moves to the right rear corner. I do not know of any exceptions to this general rule, but would like to get documenting photos of any or all cars possible.

Please send me production #'s and dash #'s along with VIN's and paint codes please. Confidential is fine if you wish.
sbsix
Dave, my 914-6 has a six digit Karmann trunk code, 132391 and VIN 9140432347.

If you haven't found it yet, check the member's VIN # database on this site. Should help you quite a bit. There are also several threads in the forums addressing this subject.

My dash number corresponds to my trunk code and it's blood orange, while my car is light ivory. That fact confused me for a long time before I discovered 914World. I just couldn't figure out why the color was different because my dash appeared never to have been removed. German efficiency I guess.
altitude411
QUOTE(davep @ May 5 2015, 06:56 AM) *

I have been researching this for many years. Only on the 1970 914/6 did the chassis/production number not include the year digit; at least as far as I have found. The only exception that I know of is a very late 1970 with Sportomatic, and thus the hump in the rear trunk, which actually got a 1971 production number. With production # 2652 both body and dash match, but that may be a coincidence; the only other pair I have after that also matched, but my data is very thin. Otherwise the majority of 1970 production do not have matching dash & body.

Also, I have the trunk production # stamped in the center as shown in the photos above for the 1970 model year. Then for 1971 it moves to the right rear corner. I do not know of any exceptions to this general rule, but would like to get documenting photos of any or all cars possible.

Please send me production #'s and dash #'s along with VIN's and paint codes please. Confidential is fine if you wish.

Dave, did you see db914-6 '70 914-6 has a seven digit trunk stamp showing the model year? confused24.gif I wonder how many other sixes have a seven digit stamp? Have you seen this discrepancy often? I'm glad you have this data. I'll send you a PM with my info and a few other questions if you don't mind. Thanks for posting your findings. I was getting a little headbang.gif
rudedude
Without going to look at mine I believe it only has 5 digits and car#729. I think it is 13094 and maybe has a sixth digit in the paint I can't distinguish.
GeorgeRud
My 70 914-6 has a six digit trunk stamp and was built in February of '70.
fixer34

Just looked at mine. March '70 /6, Trunk # 13091. VIN ...0836.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 4 2015, 06:53 PM) *

Marty, did your # have six or seven digits and is your car an original six?

* nice work thumb3d.gif

Seven digits here, it's a 1974 4 -cyl car. All of my '74s have their #s stamped in the R -side trunk floor, near the tail lamp area.
Since the floor is now absent, I'm welding it on to this new structural area of the trunk aft section.
Marty
Click to view attachment
altitude411
QUOTE(fixer34 @ May 5 2015, 06:29 PM) *

Just looked at mine. March '70 /6, Trunk # 13091. VIN ...0836.

Thanks fixer. So there is 5, 6, and seven digit stamp #'s on the sixes. I wonder what the reason for that is/meaning ?

George & fixer34, Do you know your under dash numbers?
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(altitude411 @ May 4 2015, 09:06 PM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ May 4 2015, 10:01 PM) *

Huh? You have a five digit stamp? Mine has six and others have seven... can you confirm?

Sorry. Yes, mine has 6 not 5 digits. Same as yours, the '0' is missing.
GeorgeRud
Sorry, I don't have the under dash number as the dash has never been apart on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.