Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SCCA Club Racing Announces, New Entry Level Track Program
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 18 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #1

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

Just recvd this email from SCCA nat'l. And I quote

SCCA Club Racing Announces New Entry Level Track Program

TOPEKA, Kan. (Feb. 17, 2005) - The SCCA Club Racing Department has announced a new way for SCCA members and sports car enthusiasts to compete and experience the thrill of road racing with the formation of the Performance Driving Experience (PDE), part of its new Time Trials program.

The PDE, the first of four levels of Time Trials activities (which range from instructional to all-out, top-speed events at venues from closed tracks to paved, non-track roads), offers a chance to improve driving skills while giving curious rookie enthusiasts a taste of competitive motorsports action.

SCCA Club Racing officials believe the new program will help introduce SCCA Club Racing, and motorsports in general, to people who might not have been on the Club’s radar before.

“This is the first time Club Racing has expanded its programs to non-traditional areas,” SCCA Director of Club Racing Terry Ozment said. “We are very excited about this opportunity for lots of reasons, but especially because it will bring SCCA to a brand new audience.”

The new format provides competitive flexibility for motorsports enthusiasts by allowing both street cars and race-prepared vehicles to participate, depending on the program level.

For rules information, visit the “Cars and Rules” section on the Club Racing homepage at www.scca.com. For a listing of events, go to the “Events” section at www.scca.com. Click the “Club” tab and select Time Trials.

All other inquires should be directed to Bryan Cohn, SCCA Club Racing Manager, at 1-800-770-2055 or bcohn@scca.com.

A breakdown of each level:

“Performance Driving Experience” (PDE) - The PDE is the first level of the program and provides an instructional environment for drivers who want to improve driving skills and increase their enjoyment of driving their street vehicle. PDE is SCCA’s unique version of “track” or “lapping” days.

“Club Trials” – Club Trials is the second level of the Time Trials program. This level combines elements of PDE instruction with the excitement of running against the clock to determine individual class winners. Cars range from street cars to fully prepared race cars.

“Track Trials” – Track Trials, the third level of the program, offers closed-course track time, and winners are determined by fastest time around the course. Cars prepared for both Solo and Road Racing competition are eligible for Track Trials.

“Hill Climbs” – The fourth and top level of the Time Trials program. Hill Climb events offer short-distance, timed events for race-prepared vehicles on paved mountain roads, with winners determined by fastest times.

-30-

Photo Credit: Mark Weber © 2005

Photo Caption: SCCA Solo and Club Racing cars, like this one from the Showroom Stock B class, will compete in the new Time Trials program.

Curt K.

Curtis Kitchen
Public Relations Manager
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Inc.
ckitchen@scca.com
800-770-2055
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Feb 18 2005, 09:40 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,223

So what does this mean Garold?, we could race at places like Gingerman or Putnum Park and not have too much risk involved of cracking up your car?

SteveSr
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 18 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #3

You bought another 914?

That's the way I read it, but I'm not a road racing guy (yet (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) ) I have a SCCA meeting on the 24th and I will find out more then.
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Feb 18 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #4

ELVIRA

Member No.: 481

This is not really anything new. Our region has been doing PDE's for several years. It is a great way for anyone with a non prepared car to get some seat time. PCA has been doing Time Trials for as long as I can remember. You can run against the clock (and get some instruction) in your car. The other two classes mentioned require a prepared car.

It all seems like an advertising campaign with a different package for an old product. Just because SCCA allows it, does not mean you can go to your local track and do it. Your region needs to put it a lot of time and effort to make it happen.

Go to the next SCCA meeting in your area. Find out what programs and activities they sponsor. Don't be afraid to join a committee (or even start one). National will give you all the help you need if there is any local interest. Good luck.

+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 18 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #5

2270 club

Member No.: 218

PCA regions have been doing this for years. It's usually referred to as DE (driver's education) and TT (time trial).

I would check out your local PCA region first. I'd rather run with other Porsches than have 500hp V8s breathing down my neck.
+Quote Post
TimT
post Feb 18 2005, 11:28 AM
Post #6

retired

Member No.: 313

500hp V8s breathing down my neck.

I quite enjoy breathing down the neck of those 500hp V8s (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Feb 18 2005, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE (SteveSr @ Feb 18 2005, 10:40 AM)
So what does this mean Garold?, we could race at places like Gingerman or Putnum Park and not have too much risk involved of cracking up your car?

SteveSr

Central Indiana Region PCA is running a DE event at Putnam Park in april. Check out the CIR events page for registration details! I'm the only 914 signed up right now, so get it together and help me represent! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

CIRPCA Driver's Ed weekend
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 18 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Garold & Steve,

you two should come out to Putnam for the Spring Brake weekend like Geoff said.
You will learn a lot in a VERY safe environment. Putnam is a great track for newbies for a couple reasons:
1. It's car friendly...only 1 turn where you're really on the brakes
2. It's fairly short, so you can pick it up quickly
3. Lots of runoff.
4. Great track staff and PCA volunteers to work with.
5. Awesome Instructors...everyone gets their own on-track instructor and group class sessions.

and I'll be there with my new Hi Def video camera (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 18 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #9

You bought another 914?

I would love to signand run with you, but that is our National race at Gingerman that weekend. With any luck I will be working either turn 3, 4, or 5 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Feb 18 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #10

Guys,I would love (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wub.gif) to be there but my car will not be ready by then, and anyway,I thought non-Porsche powered cars couldn't run in PCA events?
I have a cousin who lives in Attica and is a race fan,maybe I'll grab him and we'll come down and spectate.

SteveSr
+Quote Post
seanery
post Feb 18 2005, 04:33 PM
Post #11

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

The non-porsche power thing is only for club racing, not for DE events.

Come on down and watch.
We also have a new program called "Intro to DE" for those drivers who want
the classroom lessons without driving their own car. They will go out with
instructors in their (instructors) cars.

There are 2 sessions, 1 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday...I believe the info is
on the web page.
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Feb 21 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #12

Sean,
I am looking forward to coming down to spectate,should be a good time. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

SteveSr
+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Feb 21 2005, 12:01 PM
Post #13

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE (seanery @ Feb 18 2005, 05:33 PM)
The non-porsche power thing is only for club racing, not for DE events.

Yes...any car that passes safety inspection is ok to run on the track. I've convinced one of my co-workers to bring his new Honda S2k out for the weekend.

But get to work on the 914 so you can at least drive it to Putnam for the spectating (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Hope to meet you there!
+Quote Post
groot
post Feb 21 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #14

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

Garold,

I hope to be at GMan for the first National, too. Look me up, if you're there.

This, hopefully, will be my last race with the non-Jake motor.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 21 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #15

You bought another 914?

QUOTE (groot @ Feb 21 2005, 10:44 AM)
Garold,

I hope to be at GMan for the first National, too. Look me up, if you're there.

This, hopefully, will be my last race with the non-Jake motor.

Oh, I will be there. This will be my 2nd year working the corners, I love it!!!! You should receive in the next week or two info about the race. Also, check our website at www.inr-scca.org We will have info on there soon also. Our website is lame, but I am working on getting that fixed (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) I will look you up. Oh, and good luck (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:14 AM