Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dolly Trolley ideas..., Need to transport my tub...
OllieG
post May 6 2015, 09:42 AM
Post #1

OllieG

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

Hi,

I have to move my restoration project about 250 miles on the motorway(highway!) coz I just got a new job and am upping sticks. The tub is on a rotisserie right now, attached at the suspension and gearbox mounts instead of the bumper mounts.

I'll probably just bolt a couple of timber planks to the rotisserie frame and use some large pneumatic castors to roll it around and onto a trailer. I'm keen to have the tub bolted to the trolley instead of just strapping it down - to avoid unwanted 'offloading' at high speed!

Show me how you've done it…looking for ideas.

Thanks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1430926995.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ed_914
post May 6 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,433
Region Association: Europe

I transported my tub on a flatbed trailer from Germany to Holland, the whole floor section supported the weight. 4 guys can lift it on the flatbed easy enough. No rotisserie of course

QUOTE(OllieG @ May 6 2015, 05:42 PM) *

Hi,

I have to move my restoration project about 250 miles on the motorway(highway!) coz I just got a new job and am upping sticks. The tub is on a rotisserie right now, attached at the suspension and gearbox mounts instead of the bumper mounts.

I'll probably just bolt a couple of timber planks to the rotisserie frame and use some large pneumatic castors to roll it around and onto a trailer. I'm keen to have the tub bolted to the trolley instead of just strapping it down - to avoid unwanted 'offloading' at high speed!

Show me how you've done it…looking for ideas.

Thanks.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1235.photobucket.com-13282-1430926995.1.jpg)

+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post May 6 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

The main thing to remember is you can never have too many straps and check them everytime you stop, EVERY TIME! They like to loosen when you have a strange load.
Strap both the cart and the car. And remember when taking turns the load will be very top heavy. I done this dozens of times and never had a problem, but I tend to be very careful. Let me know if you need to see more examples.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
OllieG
post May 6 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #4

OllieG

Member No.: 13,282
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ May 6 2015, 05:09 PM) *

The main thing to remember is you can never have too many straps and check them everytime you stop, EVERY TIME! They like to loosen when you have a strange load.
Strap both the cart and the car. And remember when taking turns the load will be very top heavy. I done this dozens of times and never had a problem, but I tend to be very careful. Let me know if you need to see more examples.

Nice looking project!..thanks for the tips guys.
+Quote Post
cary
post May 7 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Ollie,

Do you have a shot (picture) of your rotisserie mounting points. I need to re fabricate mine.

Most folks build something simple out of lumber. 4*4's and add wheels.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 7 2015, 09:56 AM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Tub weighs about 400 lbs. get three friend and take it off the rotisserie and lay it flat on the trailer
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post May 7 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I rented a 20' box truck from Penske and used the lift gate to help get it in (with a few guys on the other end to lift) Then with some straps I hung it from the slats on the walls of the box. It floated in the box. Worked great. You could pack your other stuff around it
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 09:07 AM