Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ok- so spacers on calipers or machining?, safe to do?
xsboost90
post Feb 20 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,432

i cant seem to get my calipers to bolt on straight even though they are the calipers that were original to the spindles that i have. THey just seem slightly crooked, or at least to one side. Is it safe to put washers/spacers between the caliper and the spindle to correct the angle, prob no more than 1/8"-1/16", enough to straighten the rotor out. I could also grind the spindle or caliper mount at an angle to correct the pitch, but i really think i shouldnt have to do any of this......I dont think that both spindles could be bent. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Feb 20 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It's a pretty normal practice to put a thick washer between the caliper and the mounting ears to center the caliper on vented rotors when doing 5-lug conversions. So in your case I wouldn't worry about using a spacer.

However, if these calipers came with these spindles that does raise a question. This is just off the top of my head...not knowing what calipers or spindles you have...but are you mounting the calipers on the correct side? Not sure if any of the calipers have a slight taper or not (don't know if I've ever seen it talked about). But, there are L and R mounted calipers. Just a stupid thought late at night.
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Feb 20 2005, 10:53 PM
Post #3

ok, well thats good news. Its just weird that i can take a caliper, etc off of a car, put it onto my car and now it doesnt fit together.....and i dont even think its a spaciing issue as much as a mounting angle issue. Im going to double check w/ the guy i got the parts from that these are all off of his car, but i know he said they are...i wonder if he gave me rear calipers or something...
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 20 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

you need to figure out why the angular difference...the mounting tabs of the calipers should be parallel with the pistons.

the only difference between the front and rear calipers are the piston sizes.

+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Feb 21 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #5

damn i feel stupid asking this cuz i know better but the bleeder screw does go UP right...their not upside down? Do these calipers defy logic?
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Feb 21 2005, 06:59 AM
Post #6

maybe tonite ill try just regular washers, and see if the caliper is angled on the inside, giving the illusion it is crooked...ahhg. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 21 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #7

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Early vs. late caliper. Doesn't seem to be the same caliper. They may look like it though.
+Quote Post
davep
post Feb 21 2005, 10:38 AM
Post #8

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The bleeders go up if there is only one per caliper. If you have two bleeders, then they are late ( 1973 MY), and you have to look at the anti rotation devices (IIRC the straight edge goes up.) Are you sure the rotors are not warped. That is common enough..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Feb 21 2005, 01:58 PM
Post #9

yeah rotors are straight and brand new. Bleeders are up, only one per caliper, dual piston. Im thinking its spacing, ill try it out tonite w/some washers. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Feb 21 2005, 09:06 PM
Post #10

SUCCESS!!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) I found some nice sized washers to stick in there and bolted everything up and it was very close but it straightened everything right up. It looks like the caliper was binding on something kicking it crooked. I had to make some custom very thin washers to get the spacing dead on, but now it is puuurrrrfect. I took the calipers back off and sprayed them w/ caliper paint so tomorrow i can get them back on and start prepping the tank area for some por15. Thanks everyone! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_flagge24.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:43 AM