Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok- so spacers on calipers or machining?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xsboost90
i cant seem to get my calipers to bolt on straight even though they are the calipers that were original to the spindles that i have. THey just seem slightly crooked, or at least to one side. Is it safe to put washers/spacers between the caliper and the spindle to correct the angle, prob no more than 1/8"-1/16", enough to straighten the rotor out. I could also grind the spindle or caliper mount at an angle to correct the pitch, but i really think i shouldnt have to do any of this......I dont think that both spindles could be bent. confused24.gif
jim912928
It's a pretty normal practice to put a thick washer between the caliper and the mounting ears to center the caliper on vented rotors when doing 5-lug conversions. So in your case I wouldn't worry about using a spacer.

However, if these calipers came with these spindles that does raise a question. This is just off the top of my head...not knowing what calipers or spindles you have...but are you mounting the calipers on the correct side? Not sure if any of the calipers have a slight taper or not (don't know if I've ever seen it talked about). But, there are L and R mounted calipers. Just a stupid thought late at night.
xsboost90
ok, well thats good news. Its just weird that i can take a caliper, etc off of a car, put it onto my car and now it doesnt fit together.....and i dont even think its a spaciing issue as much as a mounting angle issue. Im going to double check w/ the guy i got the parts from that these are all off of his car, but i know he said they are...i wonder if he gave me rear calipers or something...
Mueller
you need to figure out why the angular difference...the mounting tabs of the calipers should be parallel with the pistons.

the only difference between the front and rear calipers are the piston sizes.

xsboost90
damn i feel stupid asking this cuz i know better but the bleeder screw does go UP right...their not upside down? Do these calipers defy logic?
xsboost90
maybe tonite ill try just regular washers, and see if the caliper is angled on the inside, giving the illusion it is crooked...ahhg. dry.gif
Joe Ricard
Early vs. late caliper. Doesn't seem to be the same caliper. They may look like it though.
davep
The bleeders go up if there is only one per caliper. If you have two bleeders, then they are late ( 1973 MY), and you have to look at the anti rotation devices (IIRC the straight edge goes up.) Are you sure the rotors are not warped. That is common enough..
xsboost90
yeah rotors are straight and brand new. Bleeders are up, only one per caliper, dual piston. Im thinking its spacing, ill try it out tonite w/some washers. cool.gif
xsboost90
SUCCESS!!!! smilie_pokal.gif I found some nice sized washers to stick in there and bolted everything up and it was very close but it straightened everything right up. It looks like the caliper was binding on something kicking it crooked. I had to make some custom very thin washers to get the spacing dead on, but now it is puuurrrrfect. I took the calipers back off and sprayed them w/ caliper paint so tomorrow i can get them back on and start prepping the tank area for some por15. Thanks everyone! smilie_flagge24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.