Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1974 914-4 2.0, Tackling the rust
Mike Bellis
post Jun 7 2015, 07:44 PM
Post #41

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Nemisus @ Jun 7 2015, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 7 2015, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Nemisus @ Jun 7 2015, 12:15 PM) *

I'm still not willing to admit defeat and one of the biggest motivating factors with anything that I do is when someone tells me I shouldn't or can't for some reason or another.

This is a really expensive (possibly dumb) statement. Think of it in business terms. It's a bad investment. You will spend twice (or more) the value of the car trying to save it.

Remember you can only see 10% of the rust. The rest will be found as you cut it trying to patch up bad metal.

I will take your less than constructive comments as the best criticism you can muster. I now completely understand why "YOU" wouldn't restore this car. Thanks for sharing your insight.

a statement is only as dumb as the interpretation. I mean no offense! I may be foolish to try and save this car.. and it will most likely not make any kind of financial sense... but to suggest that I am "dumb" to except the challenge completely takes away why any of us even bother with these cars. After all, how many are truly rust free? Rust repair is a challenge we all except when we first decide that the 914 is the car of choice. And that is all it is... just a choice! As long as that choice makes sense to the person choosing.. it really doesn't matter what others think!

I did not say you are dumb. I said your statement was "possibly dumb". Stating you're going to take on a challenge because people told you not to is very Second Grade. This is not a statement from a rational adult.

If you want to tackle this because you like a challenge or like wasting your money or like wasting your time. Please do. I wish you the best of luck.

BTW, you are looking at Thousands of dollars of repairs. There is reward in completing a project yourself. I am not knocking that. Your car is not a good starting point for a project.

To each his own...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 7 2015, 11:17 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 13,631
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 7 2015, 06:44 PM) *

I did not say you are dumb. I said your statement was "possibly dumb". Stating you're going to take on a challenge because people told you not to is very Second Grade. This is not a statement from a rational adult.

If you want to tackle this because you like a challenge or like wasting your money or like wasting your time. Please do. I wish you the best of luck.

BTW, you are looking at Thousands of dollars of repairs. There is reward in completing a project yourself. I am not knocking that. Your car is not a good starting point for a project.

To each his own...

Mike,

I did not join this form to bicker with a grown man. You are entitled to your opinion and I except it as just that. I value any opinions.. even the ones that are negative.

For you to assume this is a waste of money and time, is to assume that everyone on this forum that has done exactly what I am engaging in is also a waste of their money and time.

I have seen some amazing things done with these cars on this forum. There is some real inspiring projects here. Why should I use that? Is that the point of a forum like this?

Why you think this project is a lost cause I may never know... I have seen far worse 914's returned to working condition.

You sir do no know me well enough to assume my state of mind. For you to assume I am not rational and making reference to my comments as seconds grade speaks volumes of your character!

All this crap aside, I really do appreciate your feedback on the cost vs starting point. I have taken this into consideration and have actively been searching for alternatives. In fact if I could find a way to TX there is an amazing deal on a perfect tub here on the forums. Some things are not meant to be I guess...

Thank you for the luck! Apparently I'll need it.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 8 2015, 02:51 PM
Post #43

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Please forgive my lack of filter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 8 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #44

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Knowing Mike, he has nothing but good intentions and is just trying to make sure your eyes are wide open as you consider your path. We all love to see these cars returned to driving condition and more.

We are all aware of projects that being with all of the best intentions and then rust rears its ugly head and reality sets in. For some, it is best to consider another approach. Others steel themselves and tackle even the most hopeless appearing project and turn them into beauties. It all depends upon your skills and commitment - both with your time and wallet.

Regardless, post tons of pictures. It's what we live for as we live vicariously through other build threads. Best wishes.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 8 2015, 08:39 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 8 2015, 01:51 PM) *

Please forgive my lack of filter. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Mike,

Nothing to forgive as you have nothing to be sorry for. I understand that things can be miss perceived in forum conversations.

If I came off too harshly in response to your great advice, than for that I apologize to you. Given the scale of my project I need allies not enemies! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Cheers brother! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 8 2015, 02:26 PM) *

Knowing Mike, he has nothing but good intentions and is just trying to make sure your eyes are wide open as you consider your path. We all love to see these cars returned to driving condition and more.

We are all aware of projects that being with all of the best intentions and then rust rears its ugly head and reality sets in. For some, it is best to consider another approach. Others steel themselves and tackle even the most hopeless appearing project and turn them into beauties. It all depends upon your skills and commitment - both with your time and wallet.

Regardless, post tons of pictures. It's what we live for as we live vicariously through other build threads. Best wishes.

I should hope if the time comes that I must admit defeat that Mike is the first to step up and say "I told you so".

In the last 48 hours I have had some time to think. While I have not given up on the 74 I have put some serious thought into the tub for sale on this forum. Only problem is its in TX and I am in CA. That there tub would be perfect for me given the condition of my current 914.

Ehh, if its meant to be it will work out! I am certain there will be another tub that comes along.

Cheers and thanks for the wishes!

Nemi
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 8 2015, 11:07 PM
Post #46

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

You live in the right state
That TX tub is very sweet!
And there are nice ones from time to time in CA
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 9 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 8 2015, 10:07 PM) *

You live in the right state
That TX tub is very sweet!
And there are nice ones from time to time in CA

I sent the seller a PM asking about it... might be sold pending payment! Didn't think a deal like that would last long.

I'm still on the fence on which direction I'll be going. I need to spend a bit more time looking at the current tub.
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 14 2015, 03:16 PM
Post #48

Updated June 14th,

So I had some time to spend with the Porsche today. Took a pressure washer to it and knocked of some paint. Not overly enthused about what I found. Apparently I overlooked this when I first took a look at the car. Must have been my excitement.... which usually gets the best of me!

Anyhow... the pictures speak for themselves:

At some point this Originally Black 74 had some Green 70 pieces put on it... I'm no body worker, but it looks like the work was done well for its time... took me some time to locate the seams. Whatever the reason to replace the outer fender didn't interfere with the inner fender as the VIN is still in place. However the entire inner fender, headlight bucket and part of the front was replaced.

Enjoy the pics:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i98.photobucket.com-13631-1434316614.1.jpg)

Looks like they stopped here! Everything to the right of it is black and not green

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i98.photobucket.com-13631-1434316614.2.jpg)

Inner fender VIN location. Matches whats on the Door as well as what is on my Title.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i98.photobucket.com-13631-1434316614.3.jpg)

Hard to see whats stamped, but you can just see the first 3 of the VIN... clearly shows a 1970

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i98.photobucket.com-13631-1434316615.4.jpg)

fender well:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i98.photobucket.com-13631-1434316763.1.jpg)
The journey gets more and more interesting!
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 27 2015, 05:58 PM
Post #49

Update:

Doesn't look like I'm getting much interest but I'll keep updated nonetheless.

Got a chance to remove the fuel tank today. Looks pretty underneath... I was expecting bad.

I'll have a few pictures uploaded of today's work.

For those that follow... thanks for viewing.

Cheers

Nemi
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Jun 27 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #50

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

You live in California, the home of nearly rust free cars. I live in New Jersey, the home of rust buckets. I was in your shoes, 40 years ago, when I bought my first Triumph TR4. I was all gung ho and bought the first one I looked at. After the excitement wore off and looking it over as you are doing, I came to the conclusion I had a parts car. I later found a near perfect TR4 and sold the first car for parts. Lesson learned. I purchased a 75 914 three years ago from an owner in York, PA. The reason I purchased it was that it had a California title. The floor pans, trunks and longs were solid. There was some rust along the rear firewall due to the rear window leaking and the hell hole had some issues. The car sat on jack stands for a year as I pulled the motor, fixed the rust issues, rebuilt the suspension, brakes, fuel injection, and a whole lot more. Again, it was a California car, and still needed a lot of work.

My point is keep this car for parts and look for a solid tub in CA. They come up quite often, just be patient. This will give you a solid and SAFE car to start your project. Better yet, sell this car and take the money you would have spent and get a nice solid driver that you can enjoy while restoring it. Nothing is more disappointing than spending lots of time and money, becoming frustrated, and loose interest with your project. Look in the classifieds, there are many unfinished projects for sale that had good intentions. Trust an old mans judgment, been there, done that. Like Kenny Rodgers says, "you have to know when to hold'm, know when to fold'm, know when to walk away and when to run".

Looking at your car it looks like it came from New Jersey. Unless you are a very experienced welder and tin bender with a shop and all the equipment, I would run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 27 2015, 08:53 PM
Post #51

thanks Geezer!

I am actively looking for a replacement car. While I am at it though I am giving this car a thorough run through.

To be honest I am not sure where this car originated? Other than my time I haven't spent much on this car. Tune up stuff to get it running... that being said the 2.0 that came out of this car might be its only redeeming factor.

The Previous Owner had a folder of goods showing that it was rebuilt by a mechanic who works at Infineon Raceway... shoot I think its Sonoma Raceway now?

Anyhow.. maybe I'll try and sell the running 2.0 and part the rest. Not sure yet!

I am stubborn... I rarely learn when to quit. I have owned a lot of cars. 1965 Mustang Fastback, 1966 Mustang Coupe, 1975 Porsche 914 2.0.. Had a number new model mustangs as well. 2002 GT and a 2004 40th anniversary addition that I cloned into a Roush Stage 3. After that I bought a 2005 Roush Sport. A few years of having that I bought the 74 you now see here!

I really want to make this 74 whole again...
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jun 27 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #52

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

Yes, Infineon bought the name rights to Sears Point, and eventually decided not to pay for them any more, so the name changed again to Sonoma Raceway.

--DD
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 28 2015, 09:23 AM
Post #53

DD,

Since moving to the North Bay the name has changed so many times. I still call it Sears Point when it comes up in conversation.

So I just received a quote to have my 914 completely media blasted.. Inside and out the estimated cost is 1300$. I do believe the company blasting is mobile so they will come to me if desired.

The question I have is that a reasonable cost? Seems high to me given the size of the car. Also considering the condition of the car makes me think its not a value.

Thoughts on this?

Thank in advance!

JB
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 28 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #54

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pretty typical cost on the east coast. Only do it if you plan to restore the car. Don't do it just to check for rust. Use some hand power tools to search for rust. Wear proper eye and breathing protection. The guys on this board will tell you were and how to look. Theres always 10X more rust than you think.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 28 2015, 12:43 PM
Post #55

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This kind of falls under the heading of..."if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

From the pictures you've shown, the cost of media blasting would turn out to be miniscule compared to what you'll spend down the road. What if it was only $1000 instead of $1300? Would that change your perspective? Spending $1300 could save you thousands in the long run, but if that expenditure seems excessive, you're in for a long, sad story. Just my $.02.
+Quote Post
Nemisus
post Jun 28 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 28 2015, 11:43 AM) *

This kind of falls under the heading of..."if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."

From the pictures you've shown, the cost of media blasting would turn out to be miniscule compared to what you'll spend down the road. What if it was only $1000 instead of $1300? Would that change your perspective? Spending $1300 could save you thousands in the long run, but if that expenditure seems excessive, you're in for a long, sad story. Just my $.02.

I have to ask because I've never needed to blast anything from a professional level... that has ZERO bearing on whether or not I can afford it.

Sometimes I get the feeling that in order to be part of this forum you already have to know everything you joined the forum to learn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Sorry for the negativity but I've read a lot of threads that have similar projects and I see support and encouragement.... my thread... I should run away and not look back.

That being said I appreciate the feedback.

Mepstein,

I have a lot of part to still remove before getting to where blasting is the next step.

Right now I am working on a potential roller to replace the tub on this one. Still waiting on a return e-mail to see whats available?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 28 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #57

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Don't take it the wrong way. People here are passionate. Tough love but a great group of guys. If you like 914's, your already part of the club/world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jun 28 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #58

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Nemisus @ Jun 28 2015, 08:23 AM) *

The question I have is that a reasonable cost? Seems high to me given the size of the car. Also considering the condition of the car makes me think its not a value.

Thoughts on this?

This statement was why I responded the way I did. No negativity intended. It's easy to get upside down in a rustoration.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Jun 29 2015, 09:03 AM
Post #59

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 28 2015, 09:09 PM) *

Don't take it the wrong way. People here are passionate. Tough love but a great group of guys. If you like 914's, your already part of the club/world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) just take it one step (or two) at a time. When I found mine I walked because I had no welding experience although I was willing to learn. I wanted to save the car so went back and picked it up because I was fortunate to have a great resource here in town that was able to get the car structurally sound for what I consider a bargain price. Every time we dug deeper we found more rust and each time the mechanic's answer was "we can fix that" or "I've seen worse". I've still got a ways to go but am not discouraged and know that it will be worth it once I'm done - even if takes another year or so.
Don't take anything personally here. We're all here to help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
designerguy90
post Jun 29 2015, 11:32 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 17,666

Hey, If you want to tackle the work, go for it! My car had a good deal more work than I thought I would, however nowhere to the extent yours does. When I tackled my project (still ongoing, though the car is now on her feet and running and driving) I thought I was going to be able to do things in small stages and piecemeal it together, which was very much not the case. I do highly recommend to try and do that, bite off small parts to do, make a list (dont look at it too often, you will get discouraged) but finish small stuff, have a beer and feel accomplished. Brushing up on my welding skills was interesting, but through support of guys on here and family friends with 914s, I know my car probably has more rust hiding somewhere, I have to drop the engine soon and patch a part of the drivers side firewall. Sorry for rambling, but just take your time and your project will pay dividends to you, and you will feel great saving a car too.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:28 PM