Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First time it hasn't rained in weeks!, ... and my clutch pedal dropped to the floor
theleschyouknow
post May 28 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,967
Region Association: None

I was looking forward to finally commuting to work in my car on one of the very few dry days we've had this May but just outside my neighborhood when I pressed the clutch to shift to third I heard/felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
I was still in second so I limped into the walmart parking lot and parked it. I was on my way to work so I just locked up and took the shoe leather express back to my house to get my truck and drive it to work. again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
haven't investigated at all will get it home this afternoon & try figure it out
I'm searching the site a bit today but what are some of the things I should be looking for?
thanks in advance
cjl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sb914
post May 28 2015, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

Cable
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post May 28 2015, 09:31 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ May 28 2015, 08:28 AM) *

I was looking forward to finally commuting to work in my car on one of the very few dry days we've had this May but just outside my neighborhood when I pressed the clutch to shift to third I heard/felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
I was still in second so I limped into the walmart parking lot and parked it. I was on my way to work so I just locked up and took the shoe leather express back to my house to get my truck and drive it to work. again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
haven't investigated at all will get it home this afternoon & try figure it out
I'm searching the site a bit today but what are some of the things I should be looking for?
thanks in advance
cjl

It's most likely a broken clutch cable. Check the pulley area for a broken frayed cable.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post May 28 2015, 10:01 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Yup, cable.

Much smaller possibility: The roll pin that holds the clutch arm to the cross-shaft through the pedal cluster. This becomes very much more probable if you have just re-done the pedal bushings; the roll pins in many of the commonly-available kits are not up to the job.

--DD
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post May 28 2015, 10:03 AM
Post #5

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Mine was the roll pin...if cable has tension issue is in the cluster.
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post May 28 2015, 10:36 AM
Post #6

thanks for the suggestions
figured it is probably cable but will check pedal cluster as well and report back when I know
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post May 28 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #7

tow truck just picked it up I could see the clutch cable hanging loose under the car so I assume that's it
will see
+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post May 28 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #8

dang it totally forgot to get a pic to contribute to the flat bed thread -rats!
just picture a red 73 on a flatbed with a white cab and little guy named Hugo driving
I'm sure I'll have another opportunity some time
cjl
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 28 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #9

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Could be the clutch tube in the tunnel broke loose. Hope it's as simple as the cable. Here are a couple of threads to help get u started. Also Mike914rubber sells a new pulley if u need one his is worth installing.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ble++adjustment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...221402&st=0

+Quote Post
theleschyouknow
post May 28 2015, 10:42 PM
Post #10

thanks for the links Bill
here's a crappy pic from underneath
Attached Image
can these just pop off or does that indicate something else is broken? what's the procedure for reattachment?
oh, guess what? it's raining again. yeehaw. car's in the garage but there's so much other crap in there there's no room to get it up on jack stands and check it out maybe this weekend
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post May 29 2015, 09:00 AM
Post #11

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

It's hard to see in the picture the condition of the tabs that snap into the shifting fork of the tranny. If the end tab didn't break off ( so it could jump off the tranny fork) then the cable probably snapped into. Feel blessed if that's the only problem. Also, Take the pulley off and clean and lube the pivot bolt and cable guide no matter what happened to the cable.

1. pull up carpet on the tunnel and the center storage box. open the 2 inspection doors
2. take off the wood pedal board.
3. adopt a skilled monkey. although not required for small skinny guys, i pull the steering wheel to let me climb into pedal area.
4. unclip the cable at the end of the pedal
5. since it's broken, carefully start working the cable out from both ends. if you see the broken end, go to Harbor Freight and get a pair of cable cutters..not wire cutters..and cut the frayed end off. it's no fun getting the cable stuck inside the tube. spin the cable while pulling it out seems to help. spray oil up into the tube also.
6. study the pictues here and the haynes book to see how it goes back together.
like the book says, reverse the take apart is how it goes together.

If you need a cable, the usual sources online. you might call Zims in Bedford, too.
7. if the clutch adjustment was working ok before, just snug up the cable, test the shifting, and keep working on the tension until it works like befiore.
8. Find a Dr Evil thread. in his signature used to be a 40 page pdf on clutch adjustment covering it all.

if you get stuck post pictures. I know more experienced mechanics will pop in with more help if needed.
Happy teenering (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS. It's easy to cross the clutch cable over the accelerator cable inside the tunne. Use a mirrow and light or a phone picture to look inside and be sure they are not crossed. If so, you push on the clutch pedal and the car accelerates.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:34 AM