Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First time it hasn't rained in weeks!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theleschyouknow
I was looking forward to finally commuting to work in my car on one of the very few dry days we've had this May but just outside my neighborhood when I pressed the clutch to shift to third I heard/felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor mad.gif
I was still in second so I limped into the walmart parking lot and parked it. I was on my way to work so I just locked up and took the shoe leather express back to my house to get my truck and drive it to work. again. mad.gif mad.gif
haven't investigated at all will get it home this afternoon & try figure it out
I'm searching the site a bit today but what are some of the things I should be looking for?
thanks in advance
cjl
sb914
Cable
Steve
QUOTE(theleschyouknow @ May 28 2015, 08:28 AM) *

I was looking forward to finally commuting to work in my car on one of the very few dry days we've had this May but just outside my neighborhood when I pressed the clutch to shift to third I heard/felt a pop and the pedal went to the floor mad.gif
I was still in second so I limped into the walmart parking lot and parked it. I was on my way to work so I just locked up and took the shoe leather express back to my house to get my truck and drive it to work. again. mad.gif mad.gif
haven't investigated at all will get it home this afternoon & try figure it out
I'm searching the site a bit today but what are some of the things I should be looking for?
thanks in advance
cjl

It's most likely a broken clutch cable. Check the pulley area for a broken frayed cable.
Dave_Darling
Yup, cable.

Much smaller possibility: The roll pin that holds the clutch arm to the cross-shaft through the pedal cluster. This becomes very much more probable if you have just re-done the pedal bushings; the roll pins in many of the commonly-available kits are not up to the job.

--DD
7TPorsh
Mine was the roll pin...if cable has tension issue is in the cluster.
theleschyouknow
thanks for the suggestions
figured it is probably cable but will check pedal cluster as well and report back when I know
theleschyouknow
tow truck just picked it up I could see the clutch cable hanging loose under the car so I assume that's it
will see
theleschyouknow
dang it totally forgot to get a pic to contribute to the flat bed thread -rats!
just picture a red 73 on a flatbed with a white cab and little guy named Hugo driving
I'm sure I'll have another opportunity some time
cjl
bandjoey
Could be the clutch tube in the tunnel broke loose. Hope it's as simple as the cable. Here are a couple of threads to help get u started. Also Mike914rubber sells a new pulley if u need one his is worth installing.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ble++adjustment

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...221402&st=0

theleschyouknow
thanks for the links Bill
here's a crappy pic from underneath
Click to view attachment
can these just pop off or does that indicate something else is broken? what's the procedure for reattachment?
oh, guess what? it's raining again. yeehaw. car's in the garage but there's so much other crap in there there's no room to get it up on jack stands and check it out maybe this weekend
bandjoey
It's hard to see in the picture the condition of the tabs that snap into the shifting fork of the tranny. If the end tab didn't break off ( so it could jump off the tranny fork) then the cable probably snapped into. Feel blessed if that's the only problem. Also, Take the pulley off and clean and lube the pivot bolt and cable guide no matter what happened to the cable.

1. pull up carpet on the tunnel and the center storage box. open the 2 inspection doors
2. take off the wood pedal board.
3. adopt a skilled monkey. although not required for small skinny guys, i pull the steering wheel to let me climb into pedal area.
4. unclip the cable at the end of the pedal
5. since it's broken, carefully start working the cable out from both ends. if you see the broken end, go to Harbor Freight and get a pair of cable cutters..not wire cutters..and cut the frayed end off. it's no fun getting the cable stuck inside the tube. spin the cable while pulling it out seems to help. spray oil up into the tube also.
6. study the pictues here and the haynes book to see how it goes back together.
like the book says, reverse the take apart is how it goes together.

If you need a cable, the usual sources online. you might call Zims in Bedford, too.
7. if the clutch adjustment was working ok before, just snug up the cable, test the shifting, and keep working on the tension until it works like befiore.
8. Find a Dr Evil thread. in his signature used to be a 40 page pdf on clutch adjustment covering it all.

if you get stuck post pictures. I know more experienced mechanics will pop in with more help if needed.
Happy teenering biggrin.gif

PS. It's easy to cross the clutch cable over the accelerator cable inside the tunne. Use a mirrow and light or a phone picture to look inside and be sure they are not crossed. If so, you push on the clutch pedal and the car accelerates.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.