Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parts frustration....., what else is new?
Cairo94507
post May 29 2015, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So I have been ordering parts to keep the build going. Today I checked with Scotty and several parts, which were ordered months ago, never arrived. Remember I am in CA and my car is in VA and that is where parts are of course being shipped.

I spent about 2.5 hours on the phone with 4 different suppliers, well know suppliers, tracking stuff down and getting things sorted. As of now, all but one supplier have been able to address the problem and solve it. I am still awaiting an answer re my new 18mm torsion bars....

Oh well, what else could I possibly be doing with my time??????
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 29 2015, 06:21 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Quality people are hard to find. I went to the local flaps with a 1/2" E clip and ask for another one. The individual behind the counter ask me what it was? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) He went to 2 more "parts people" with each of them shaking their head. I went to Tractor Supply and got a bag of them for less than $1.

Perhaps this is the reason for your delays. The people working these jobs have been promoted beyond their level of competence. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 29 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #3

Michael

That is what we called the Peter principle - promoted people to their highest level of incompetence.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 29 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I imagine anyone who works on these cars has some of the same challenges. Think how frustrating this.would be if this was your job and not your hobby.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 29 2015, 10:31 PM
Post #5

Michael

Totally! I sort of roll up into a ball thinking about trying to do this if we did not have the Internet. I mean sourcing parts is actually easy - really.

I resolved all of my issues except the torsion bars and I expect that will resolve Monday. Then I can move on to other challenges. The good news is the parts list gets smaller and smaller.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post May 29 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,594

I ordered 20 new chrome lug nuts.....they arrived today...but somehow turned into black lug nuts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Wonder how long this will take to fix
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 30 2015, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Michael

Bummer, but at least they arrived. What did they cost if you don't mind? I need to order a set for my car and want factory black.
+Quote Post
somd914
post May 30 2015, 06:46 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,741

I realize this is frustrating, but look at the positive side. In the days before the internet, we relied on printed catalogs that were often not complete or accurate, then calling vendors to check stock, verify compatibly, and place orders - frequently time consuming and full of order fulfillment issues given lack of computerization. Then we relied on shipping that had no tracking and often slow and expensive.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post May 30 2015, 07:44 AM
Post #9

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Personally, I would never expect a FLAPS parts kid to recognize off-hand a part for a not very well known sports car that has been out of production almost 2x as long as he has been alive. In fact I pretty much don't look to a FLAPS to have anything of interest unless its a universal part (like a battery) or for a current production car.

+Quote Post
JStroud
post May 30 2015, 10:07 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 30 2015, 05:30 AM) *

Bummer, but at least they arrived. What did they cost if you don't mind? I need to order a set for my car and want factory black.

Found them on amazon on sale for $49.00.. Free shipping
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post May 30 2015, 10:11 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 7,712

This thread touches on a disturbing realization in the world. What happened to all the people who can fix stuff? In the automotive industry alone 60% of a workforce has retired or left the industry over the past 10 years alone. The sad part is they are not being replaced. Very little new talent is coming into the industry. This is a trend elsewhere in other fields as well.

Many manufacturers have now gone to computer based diagnostic flow charts. The tech goes down a list of symptoms to see what matches the ailment. As vehicles have become more complex this isn't a bad thing but techs no longer need to think which is a bad thing. The automotive repair industry has become a remove and replace process. New cars don't even need tune ups any longer. Spark plugs now last longer than the average lease.

Collision repair has become a point and click process where estimators rely on a an estimating platform to "write" an estimate but very few can repair a vehicle based on acquired knowledge. The amount of work force that has left the collision industry is staggering. Ask an estimator to now turn his or her estimate into a blueprint or repair plan and most cannot.

I'm not bashing but simply describing the state we are in. Real skills are diminishing. Part of it is manufacturing quality and tolerances have improved greatly and many things last longer. Things will still break and fail but in the world today its accepted to throw the old one out and go buy a new one. I see things everyday that can be fixed or repaired but aren't. It baffles me since it generates nothing but waste.

"Atlas Shrugged" is slowly becoming a true story.

Places like this forum are the last surviving vestiges of free knowledge that teach people based on experience. There is a lot of talent here and it also provides an opportunity for those starting out to take a leap into areas they would have never ventured into otherwise.

Shop class and Industrial Education have mostly disappeared from junior and senior high schools. This is part of the problem. Men and boys love to tinker. That tinkering has so many times led to a career path but its not as frequent as it once was.

The parts counter guy. I remember so many guys at dealer parts departments that didn't need a microfiche, catalogue or computer. They knew the product they sold. The appliance parts guy was the same.

The service industry is a mess. Customer service is not a barista who tends an overpriced coffee bar.

One thing for certain and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 30 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #12

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

As as parts provider, I see many box box parts houses as well as new entries into the market every day. Many can't even get the correct picture.
It's hard to deliver content, ast, and correct 100% of the time.
The right people help, but the infrastructure is just as important. It's not cheap, so you build what works for you now and upgrade when you can.
I known we bat about 95%, we have room to improve, but it's also about how the vendor handles the situation.

Last week I had an inquiry about where are my parts?
Turned out the customer provided an incorrect zip code in LA, so the address exists in the provided zip. It did finally get returned, but this type of thing happens more than you'd think.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post May 30 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Alas, sourcing parts has become a major element of our hobby/addiction. I've done business with just about every vendor at some point. For classic OE stuff, I don't think Stoddard has ever really let me down in 25 years. But a lot of what I needed in recent years were specialty race or upgrade parts and dealing with the "mom and pop" vendors and ebay/CL-sellers is hit-or-miss. Most are fantastic, but some are as flaky as a French croissant.

What specific parts are holding you up? Maybe we can help.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post May 30 2015, 10:39 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 30 2015, 09:24 AM) *

As as parts provider, I see many box box parts houses as well as new entries into the market every day. Many can't even get the correct picture.
It's hard to deliver content, ast, and correct 100% of the time.
The right people help, but the infrastructure is just as important. It's not cheap, so you build what works for you now and upgrade when you can.
I known we bat about 95%, we have room to improve, but it's also about how the vendor handles the situation.

Last week I had an inquiry about where are my parts?
Turned out the customer provided an incorrect zip code in LA, so the address exists in the provided zip. It did finally get returned, but this type of thing happens more than you'd think.

As a supplier you get it. You have challenges but the effort is there to succeed and deliver. I think you under rate your batting average. Considering you do your own prototyping, R&D, product improvement and quality control it speaks for itself in the products you provide. You communicate with your customers whether its a PM or public forum and that speaks volumes. You say what you do and do what you say.. in my book that is a home run.
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post May 30 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #15

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Thank you Jeff Hail and Thank you Mikey914,

You go along way in the customer service business if you simply
"DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO!"

Old school basics work, just returned from a High School graduation, one of the female graduates gave a great speech. She said that none of her class has anything coming to them (no entitlement), you have to go out there and work your plan and make things happen.....got my attention and I applauded her speech as most feel they are owed?

Anywho,

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 30 2015, 11:12 AM
Post #16

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I can tell you that growth has hurt me. I'm here on a Saturday trying to get caught up with customers that have real time crunch needs.

Being the only person fielding the questions from 30-40 calls per day, attempting to remember every add-on to every order "and" build 935 and 917 calipers and restore 3-4 914's and 2 911's. Open orders for over 24 S-Calipers which all need to be done by hand and then add to that, customers suddenly making panic calls about parts for long term projects that won't be ready until next year sometime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I had to let a long term employee go last month, train a couple new ones and now, take a stab at who has the knowledge of these cars that you'd expect when you dial the phone? I'm very thankful that Gene Rice has joined our team but, I need more and, as a small business owner, those are scary propositions. My bi-weekly payroll and taxes are more than I was doing in monthly sales just three years ago. Oh... and I had the distinct honor of being the one in the family that went back to Michigan and had to tell my 85 year old father (suffering from dementia) that he could no longer live in his home anymore. Pack him up and fly him out to Salt Lake City. Add to that... a month and a half search for assisted living facilities that can handle memory care. Did I mention cleaning up piss at 3:00AM and putting on and taking off Depends all day? Damn that was one hell of a good time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I don't mention any of this for a "pitty fuch". This is my extended family. You guys helped me grow my business and grow personally and I thank you for it. I mention this stuff because "sometimes" there's another side to what may be going on with some of these "parts vendors". I don't think any of them would purposely screw up an order (well... I can actually think of one). Sometimes an order for sway bar plates gets bumped from production at a specialty metal fabricators shop because a puny 100 piece vintage Porsche order (negotiated at a price a 914 guy will swallow) doesn't take precedence over a 6,000 piece "price is no object" Boeing order.

I can certainly understand the frustration though. Imagine what it's like coordinating parts for 3-4 restoration projects and juggling mechanics, painters and good metal fabricators. Customers flying in from the UK that will "demand" a running car on a certain date, uber rare unobtaium part be damned! Now imagine attempting to sleep under those conditions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yup... it's a really screwed up world out there. Or is it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I personally think we're rather blessed to have rare vintage Porsche's to play with. I think we're rather blessed to have the people we have here that are attempting to keep them alive, one screwed up order at a time. It took Porsche Classic 2 years to build the LWB 911 project. i wonder how many panic calls they get? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Breath...
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post May 30 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2015, 10:12 AM) *

I can tell you that growth has hurt me. I'm here on a Saturday trying to get caught up with customers that have real time crunch needs.

Being the only person fielding the questions from 30-40 calls per day, attempting to remember every add-on to every order "and" build 935 and 917 calipers and restore 3-4 914's and 2 911's. Open orders for over 24 S-Calipers which all need to be done by hand and then add to that, customers suddenly making panic calls about parts for long term projects that won't be ready until next year sometime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I had to let a long term employee go last month, train a couple new ones and now, take a stab at who has the knowledge of these cars that you'd expect when you dial the phone? I'm very thankful that Gene Rice has joined our team but, I need more and, as a small business owner, those are scary propositions. My bi-weekly payroll and taxes are more than I was doing in monthly sales just three years ago. Oh... and I had the distinct honor of being the one in the family that went back to Michigan and had to tell my 85 year old father (suffering from dementia) that he could no longer live in his home anymore. Pack him up and fly him out to Salt Lake City. Add to that... a month and a half search for assisted living facilities that can handle memory care. Did I mention cleaning up piss at 3:00AM and putting on and taking off Depends all day? Damn that was one hell of a good time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I don't mention any of this for a "pitty fuch". This is my extended family. You guys helped me grow my business and grow personally and I thank you for it. I mention this stuff because "sometimes" there's another side to what may be going on with some of these "parts vendors". I don't think any of them would purposely screw up an order (well... I can actually think of one). Sometimes an order for sway bar plates gets bumped from production at a specialty metal fabricators shop because a puny 100 piece vintage Porsche order (negotiated at a price a 914 guy will swallow) doesn't take precedence over a 6,000 piece "price is no object" Boeing order.

I can certainly understand the frustration though. Imagine what it's like coordinating parts for 3-4 restoration projects and juggling mechanics, painters and good metal fabricators. Customers flying in from the UK that will "demand" a running car on a certain date, uber rare unobtaium part be damned! Now imagine attempting to sleep under those conditions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yup... it's a really screwed up world out there. Or is it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I personally think we're rather blessed to have rare vintage Porsche's to play with. I think we're rather blessed to have the people we have here that are attempting to keep them alive, one screwed up order at a time. It took Porsche Classic 2 years to build the LWB 911 project. i wonder how many panic calls they get? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Breath...

Family first and then everything else. Everyone has stuff going on others don't know about. Never give up and never surrender Eric.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post May 30 2015, 01:51 PM
Post #18

I've never considered making a mistake a reason to banish a vendor from my list of who I use for future purchases. It's more how they handle the mistake that makes an impression on me....we're only human.

Continued errors and poor handling of them is the characteristic of a poor vendor.

Got an email today, the vendor I purchased my "chrome" lug nuts from responded to my return request, in a very timely manner, stated they were sorry for the error, my chrome lug nuts have been shipped, and because the error was theirs, to keep the black lug nuts compliments of them......wow, now that's resolving an error above and beyond. Would I order from them again ... Hell yes! And I'll recommend them to others, Euro Motorspeed in Florida, obviously a vendor who cares.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post May 30 2015, 02:13 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

I've bought and sold a lot of so called 'nato' straps for watches. A few years back, I bought the complete inventory of an eBay seller who had enough of dealing with customers all over the world.

So I stepped in. The mailman delivered a large box full of straps - and I was in business. I can tell you that checking the inventory, labeling, price tags, advertising, selling, shipping an book keeping was an annoying experience. I sold all straps. I sold them to all corners of the world. And made a nice profit (well, a small when you compare it with Porsche parts prices...)

I will never, ever do it again.

So, for those who run a car part business as a side line next to their daily job, I would say: I take my hat off for you! It is a complex operation and not an easy task to satisfy all customers.

Menno
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 30 2015, 02:56 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

There is a lot to be said about the old school method of on the job training with the " old guy". I OJT'ed at GTE for the first 6 months to just get a "feel" for the job. I then spent the next 5 years learning how to do it correctly. No fancy digital test equipment, just a analog VOM. I could find a short in a cable just by looking at the resistance and figure out how many feet or miles I need to go. Now it is what the computer says !
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 08:13 AM