Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts frustration.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
So I have been ordering parts to keep the build going. Today I checked with Scotty and several parts, which were ordered months ago, never arrived. Remember I am in CA and my car is in VA and that is where parts are of course being shipped.

I spent about 2.5 hours on the phone with 4 different suppliers, well know suppliers, tracking stuff down and getting things sorted. As of now, all but one supplier have been able to address the problem and solve it. I am still awaiting an answer re my new 18mm torsion bars....

Oh well, what else could I possibly be doing with my time??????
914Sixer
Quality people are hard to find. I went to the local flaps with a 1/2" E clip and ask for another one. The individual behind the counter ask me what it was? headbang.gif He went to 2 more "parts people" with each of them shaking their head. I went to Tractor Supply and got a bag of them for less than $1.

Perhaps this is the reason for your delays. The people working these jobs have been promoted beyond their level of competence. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
That is what we called the Peter principle - promoted people to their highest level of incompetence.
mepstein
I imagine anyone who works on these cars has some of the same challenges. Think how frustrating this.would be if this was your job and not your hobby.
Cairo94507
Totally! I sort of roll up into a ball thinking about trying to do this if we did not have the Internet. I mean sourcing parts is actually easy - really.

I resolved all of my issues except the torsion bars and I expect that will resolve Monday. Then I can move on to other challenges. The good news is the parts list gets smaller and smaller.
JStroud
I ordered 20 new chrome lug nuts.....they arrived today...but somehow turned into black lug nuts headbang.gif Wonder how long this will take to fix
Cairo94507
Bummer, but at least they arrived. What did they cost if you don't mind? I need to order a set for my car and want factory black.
somd914
I realize this is frustrating, but look at the positive side. In the days before the internet, we relied on printed catalogs that were often not complete or accurate, then calling vendors to check stock, verify compatibly, and place orders - frequently time consuming and full of order fulfillment issues given lack of computerization. Then we relied on shipping that had no tracking and often slow and expensive.

VaccaRabite
Personally, I would never expect a FLAPS parts kid to recognize off-hand a part for a not very well known sports car that has been out of production almost 2x as long as he has been alive. In fact I pretty much don't look to a FLAPS to have anything of interest unless its a universal part (like a battery) or for a current production car.

JStroud
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 30 2015, 05:30 AM) *

Bummer, but at least they arrived. What did they cost if you don't mind? I need to order a set for my car and want factory black.

Found them on amazon on sale for $49.00.. Free shipping
Jeff Hail
This thread touches on a disturbing realization in the world. What happened to all the people who can fix stuff? In the automotive industry alone 60% of a workforce has retired or left the industry over the past 10 years alone. The sad part is they are not being replaced. Very little new talent is coming into the industry. This is a trend elsewhere in other fields as well.

Many manufacturers have now gone to computer based diagnostic flow charts. The tech goes down a list of symptoms to see what matches the ailment. As vehicles have become more complex this isn't a bad thing but techs no longer need to think which is a bad thing. The automotive repair industry has become a remove and replace process. New cars don't even need tune ups any longer. Spark plugs now last longer than the average lease.

Collision repair has become a point and click process where estimators rely on a an estimating platform to "write" an estimate but very few can repair a vehicle based on acquired knowledge. The amount of work force that has left the collision industry is staggering. Ask an estimator to now turn his or her estimate into a blueprint or repair plan and most cannot.

I'm not bashing but simply describing the state we are in. Real skills are diminishing. Part of it is manufacturing quality and tolerances have improved greatly and many things last longer. Things will still break and fail but in the world today its accepted to throw the old one out and go buy a new one. I see things everyday that can be fixed or repaired but aren't. It baffles me since it generates nothing but waste.

"Atlas Shrugged" is slowly becoming a true story.

Places like this forum are the last surviving vestiges of free knowledge that teach people based on experience. There is a lot of talent here and it also provides an opportunity for those starting out to take a leap into areas they would have never ventured into otherwise.

Shop class and Industrial Education have mostly disappeared from junior and senior high schools. This is part of the problem. Men and boys love to tinker. That tinkering has so many times led to a career path but its not as frequent as it once was.

The parts counter guy. I remember so many guys at dealer parts departments that didn't need a microfiche, catalogue or computer. They knew the product they sold. The appliance parts guy was the same.

The service industry is a mess. Customer service is not a barista who tends an overpriced coffee bar.

One thing for certain and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Mikey914
As as parts provider, I see many box box parts houses as well as new entries into the market every day. Many can't even get the correct picture.
It's hard to deliver content, ast, and correct 100% of the time.
The right people help, but the infrastructure is just as important. It's not cheap, so you build what works for you now and upgrade when you can.
I known we bat about 95%, we have room to improve, but it's also about how the vendor handles the situation.

Last week I had an inquiry about where are my parts?
Turned out the customer provided an incorrect zip code in LA, so the address exists in the provided zip. It did finally get returned, but this type of thing happens more than you'd think.
campbellcj
Alas, sourcing parts has become a major element of our hobby/addiction. I've done business with just about every vendor at some point. For classic OE stuff, I don't think Stoddard has ever really let me down in 25 years. But a lot of what I needed in recent years were specialty race or upgrade parts and dealing with the "mom and pop" vendors and ebay/CL-sellers is hit-or-miss. Most are fantastic, but some are as flaky as a French croissant.

What specific parts are holding you up? Maybe we can help.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 30 2015, 09:24 AM) *

As as parts provider, I see many box box parts houses as well as new entries into the market every day. Many can't even get the correct picture.
It's hard to deliver content, ast, and correct 100% of the time.
The right people help, but the infrastructure is just as important. It's not cheap, so you build what works for you now and upgrade when you can.
I known we bat about 95%, we have room to improve, but it's also about how the vendor handles the situation.

Last week I had an inquiry about where are my parts?
Turned out the customer provided an incorrect zip code in LA, so the address exists in the provided zip. It did finally get returned, but this type of thing happens more than you'd think.

As a supplier you get it. You have challenges but the effort is there to succeed and deliver. I think you under rate your batting average. Considering you do your own prototyping, R&D, product improvement and quality control it speaks for itself in the products you provide. You communicate with your customers whether its a PM or public forum and that speaks volumes. You say what you do and do what you say.. in my book that is a home run.
Vysoc
Thank you Jeff Hail and Thank you Mikey914,

You go along way in the customer service business if you simply
"DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO!"

Old school basics work, just returned from a High School graduation, one of the female graduates gave a great speech. She said that none of her class has anything coming to them (no entitlement), you have to go out there and work your plan and make things happen.....got my attention and I applauded her speech as most feel they are owed?

Anywho,

Vysoc popcorn[1].gif
Eric_Shea
I can tell you that growth has hurt me. I'm here on a Saturday trying to get caught up with customers that have real time crunch needs.

Being the only person fielding the questions from 30-40 calls per day, attempting to remember every add-on to every order "and" build 935 and 917 calipers and restore 3-4 914's and 2 911's. Open orders for over 24 S-Calipers which all need to be done by hand and then add to that, customers suddenly making panic calls about parts for long term projects that won't be ready until next year sometime. blink.gif

I had to let a long term employee go last month, train a couple new ones and now, take a stab at who has the knowledge of these cars that you'd expect when you dial the phone? I'm very thankful that Gene Rice has joined our team but, I need more and, as a small business owner, those are scary propositions. My bi-weekly payroll and taxes are more than I was doing in monthly sales just three years ago. Oh... and I had the distinct honor of being the one in the family that went back to Michigan and had to tell my 85 year old father (suffering from dementia) that he could no longer live in his home anymore. Pack him up and fly him out to Salt Lake City. Add to that... a month and a half search for assisted living facilities that can handle memory care. Did I mention cleaning up piss at 3:00AM and putting on and taking off Depends all day? Damn that was one hell of a good time. thumb3d.gif

I don't mention any of this for a "pitty fuch". This is my extended family. You guys helped me grow my business and grow personally and I thank you for it. I mention this stuff because "sometimes" there's another side to what may be going on with some of these "parts vendors". I don't think any of them would purposely screw up an order (well... I can actually think of one). Sometimes an order for sway bar plates gets bumped from production at a specialty metal fabricators shop because a puny 100 piece vintage Porsche order (negotiated at a price a 914 guy will swallow) doesn't take precedence over a 6,000 piece "price is no object" Boeing order.

I can certainly understand the frustration though. Imagine what it's like coordinating parts for 3-4 restoration projects and juggling mechanics, painters and good metal fabricators. Customers flying in from the UK that will "demand" a running car on a certain date, uber rare unobtaium part be damned! Now imagine attempting to sleep under those conditions. blink.gif

Yup... it's a really screwed up world out there. Or is it? idea.gif

I personally think we're rather blessed to have rare vintage Porsche's to play with. I think we're rather blessed to have the people we have here that are attempting to keep them alive, one screwed up order at a time. It took Porsche Classic 2 years to build the LWB 911 project. i wonder how many panic calls they get? biggrin.gif

Breath...
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2015, 10:12 AM) *

I can tell you that growth has hurt me. I'm here on a Saturday trying to get caught up with customers that have real time crunch needs.

Being the only person fielding the questions from 30-40 calls per day, attempting to remember every add-on to every order "and" build 935 and 917 calipers and restore 3-4 914's and 2 911's. Open orders for over 24 S-Calipers which all need to be done by hand and then add to that, customers suddenly making panic calls about parts for long term projects that won't be ready until next year sometime. blink.gif

I had to let a long term employee go last month, train a couple new ones and now, take a stab at who has the knowledge of these cars that you'd expect when you dial the phone? I'm very thankful that Gene Rice has joined our team but, I need more and, as a small business owner, those are scary propositions. My bi-weekly payroll and taxes are more than I was doing in monthly sales just three years ago. Oh... and I had the distinct honor of being the one in the family that went back to Michigan and had to tell my 85 year old father (suffering from dementia) that he could no longer live in his home anymore. Pack him up and fly him out to Salt Lake City. Add to that... a month and a half search for assisted living facilities that can handle memory care. Did I mention cleaning up piss at 3:00AM and putting on and taking off Depends all day? Damn that was one hell of a good time. thumb3d.gif

I don't mention any of this for a "pitty fuch". This is my extended family. You guys helped me grow my business and grow personally and I thank you for it. I mention this stuff because "sometimes" there's another side to what may be going on with some of these "parts vendors". I don't think any of them would purposely screw up an order (well... I can actually think of one). Sometimes an order for sway bar plates gets bumped from production at a specialty metal fabricators shop because a puny 100 piece vintage Porsche order (negotiated at a price a 914 guy will swallow) doesn't take precedence over a 6,000 piece "price is no object" Boeing order.

I can certainly understand the frustration though. Imagine what it's like coordinating parts for 3-4 restoration projects and juggling mechanics, painters and good metal fabricators. Customers flying in from the UK that will "demand" a running car on a certain date, uber rare unobtaium part be damned! Now imagine attempting to sleep under those conditions. blink.gif

I personally think we're rather blessed to have rare vintage Porsche's to play with. I think we're rather blessed to have the people we have here that are attempting to keep them alive, one screwed up order at a time. It took Porsche Classic 2 years to build the LWB 911 project. i wonder how many panic calls they get? biggrin.gif

Breath...

Family first and then everything else. Everyone has stuff going on others don't know about. Never give up and never surrender Eric.
JStroud
I've never considered making a mistake a reason to banish a vendor from my list of who I use for future purchases. It's more how they handle the mistake that makes an impression on me....we're only human.

Continued errors and poor handling of them is the characteristic of a poor vendor.

Got an email today, the vendor I purchased my "chrome" lug nuts from responded to my return request, in a very timely manner, stated they were sorry for the error, my chrome lug nuts have been shipped, and because the error was theirs, to keep the black lug nuts compliments of them......wow, now that's resolving an error above and beyond. Would I order from them again ... Hell yes! And I'll recommend them to others, Euro Motorspeed in Florida, obviously a vendor who cares.
thieuster
I've bought and sold a lot of so called 'nato' straps for watches. A few years back, I bought the complete inventory of an eBay seller who had enough of dealing with customers all over the world.

So I stepped in. The mailman delivered a large box full of straps - and I was in business. I can tell you that checking the inventory, labeling, price tags, advertising, selling, shipping an book keeping was an annoying experience. I sold all straps. I sold them to all corners of the world. And made a nice profit (well, a small when you compare it with Porsche parts prices...)

I will never, ever do it again.

So, for those who run a car part business as a side line next to their daily job, I would say: I take my hat off for you! It is a complex operation and not an easy task to satisfy all customers.

Menno
914Sixer
There is a lot to be said about the old school method of on the job training with the " old guy". I OJT'ed at GTE for the first 6 months to just get a "feel" for the job. I then spent the next 5 years learning how to do it correctly. No fancy digital test equipment, just a analog VOM. I could find a short in a cable just by looking at the resistance and figure out how many feet or miles I need to go. Now it is what the computer says !
somd914
QUOTE(JStroud @ May 30 2015, 03:51 PM) *

I've never considered making a mistake a reason to banish a vendor from my list of who I use for future purchases. It's more how they handle the mistake that makes an impression on me....we're only human.

Continued errors and poor handling of them is the characteristic of a poor vendor.

agree.gif I don't think it is so much the level of competence as some have eluded to, everyone will eventually make a mistake. In my opinion, as a whole I see fewer mistakes these days due to the increase of automation. It's more of a matter of caring about customers and wanting to do right when mistakes happen.

A few years back I made an order from a large vendor for several small items. One item was not in package. After several days of calling and sending e-mails, I finally got a phone call through. After explaining the situation, I was informed that they had spoken with the employee who packed the box a week and a half prior, and all items were shipped - damn good memory... They refused to help and basically accused me of trying to rip them off of a $14 item. I've never ordered from them again.
Jeffs9146
Idiocracy

Mikey914
Your partially tarded, but that's ok, my sister is tarded and she's a pilot.

Yes it seems like its coming true

It's scary
Cairo94507
So, first of all let me say that I truly appreciate, respect and am humbled by the extent of knowledge, skills, and dedication our regular vendors have and provide for us and out little cars.

Eric (PMB) has been and will continue to be one of my first go to guys for all things 914. Shit, I even call/email him for things that have nothing to do with his business but relate to his extensive Porsche knowledge. I also know he has had to deal with family matters re his dad. Having gone through that for the past 9 years and having lost my dad in November, I personally have experienced and know all that is entailed when we become the parents and our parents become the children. It is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do - and believe me, I have done some pretty tough things. My hat is off to Eric and his staff- especially the nice young lady who works of him that used to live in Danville. She was absolutely helpful and a joy to talk to.

Today, a Saturday, I received a call from Brian at Sway Away. I believe he is the owner. He tracked down my torsion bar problem and said they will take care of it ASAP. He asked me to call him Monday. That is dedication and customer service. Everyone knows my car isn't rolling under its own power for at least 4 months ( driving.gif ) so nothing is a rush for me and I always make that clear.

I was frustrated because I had the perfect storm where several different major suppliers for us, not FLAPS people, had issues that caused a hiccup in the order. That was compounded by my parts going directly to Scotty in VA so after I order them I don't see them to check them off my list as received. My fault for not keeping better tabs on parts orders. I usually do not realize there is a problem until Scotty and I talk and ask him about the XXX part and he says, "What?" Then I know I have some work to do.

I am all fine now and just needed a hug grouphug.gif after a very tough week at work.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 30 2015, 06:50 PM) *

One of my favorite movies. Electrolytes, Upgrayyed, Beef Supreme and Frito!!!

Bahaha
Mikey914
Ow my balls !
Looks a lot like I survived a Japanese game show and jack ass.
And upgrayedd with a double d, for a double dose of my pimping
TX914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2015, 12:12 PM) *

Breath...

Well I feel rather blessed to have a vendor dedicated to high quality work on the 914 – my calipers look and feel like new. Your efforts are appreciated! smile.gif
scotty b
It's a very small, very niche market. In addition to what Eric was saying. Try being the guy taking care of 6 restorations, keeping track of parts for all those cars, tracking down parts for all those cars, dealing with phone calls, e-mails, lining up future jobs, trying to find competent help etc, AND trying to find time to do real work in the shop. Most days are 8:00 to about 10:30, with the majority of my actual shop work being done after 5:00 when the parts suppliers are closed, my employee is gone, and most of the other people in my complex have gone home ( don't get me started on the other shop owners that want to come over and hang out all the time dry.gif ) I know neither Eric nor I could have made a living just on 914's so we both had to expand. On my end at least, I never sought out the expansion jobs, I just had 911, 356 and now BMW, M.B. and hot rod guys showing up out of nowhere. One of my customers who owns a construction business referred to it as " GROWING PAINS ", which I think describes it pretty well.

On my end, I can't just hire some guy that worked on a collision shop, or some guy that wants to learn resto work for 10.00/hr. I need to find highly skilled, people who have a long history with this type of work. ( $$$$$$) I simply don't have time to train someone that more than likely won't stay around, or just doesn't have the skills/gusto. I've been dealing with this long enough to know people really do think it's like the T.V. shows. Both customers, and help that hasn't actually worked in this field. I have had guys in their 50's and 60's who had done body work their whole lives come in thinking they were a shoe in, and once they saw in process work, and a finished higher end job, openly admit they can't do this work. It's a totally different world than collision or run of the mill Mustang and Camaro restos. I know most of the 914 parts suppliers also deal in other Porsches, and some in muscle cars and hot rods as well, which leads to the confusion. And for those guys that are simply parts suppliers they have a staff that more than likely are people that know little to nothing about the cars they are supplying parts for....bingo.....f-ups. You just won't find someone with intimate Porsche knowledge that is going to answer a phone taking orders all day for minimum wage.

I've gotten to where I am leaving my phone in the office and try to get back to people later in the day or at night because I can't get work done with the thing going off 2-3 times and hour.

It's now 11:30 and I'm about to lose another 2-3 hours of work time for a doctors appt. Yet another issue headbang.gif

And like Eric said.... there are also the outside of work issues. Keep your day jobs kid.s<_<

Eric_Shea
Yet another issue

This may help... blink.gif

What's Ail'n Poor Scooter?
mepstein
That reminds me, I think I need to call scatty and talk about semi gloss vs satin on my torsion bars. I can't go to sleep until we discus this.
Cairo94507
type.gif Stop typing and work on my Six! biggrin.gif
scotty b
and then there's this. Michaels alternator shows up. Great, I can finish up the engine. I pull it out of the box and try to unscrew the nut....super tight. I look at the end of the shaft....this no good. I try to turn the shaft......shit dry.gif Go back and look at the box it came in headbang.gif
DRPHIL914
we have all had some of those bad experiences, there are some good companies out there we need to patronize and the others that refuse to improve can die a slow painful death. we should really highlight those that for the most part do a great job most if not all of the time, but when they make a mistake , do their best to fix it.
I have a set of 5 lug 16" fuchs being refinished that i should have had a few weeks ago, but one of the wheels had to be redone so its taken a bit longer- i'm glad they didnt sent it out hoping that i wouldnt notice or care, instead its getting done right and i am willing to wait. ( i will post pictures and disclose who it is later) .
Also 99% of everyting ive ordered from 914 rubber has been correct and fast. right now i'm waiting on my seat upholstry because the one i picked was not correct, so it got sent back and Mark would not sent out the wrong stuff. Not his fault but his supplier. and HE has been working hard to get it done- offered to refund me or change my order, and at times ive come close after 9 months to doing that but again i dont blame him and really what's the hurry anyway, right? SO here is a shout out to Mark Whitesell, and our other vendors such as Pelican Parts, Stoddard and others i have never had a problem with!1 Thanks guys beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Well at least the alternator was clean..... seriously though, what moron picks up that box and thinks it will be OK to send that out?

Hopefully the rebuilder will send out the return shipping label ASAP so they can replace the damn thing. I bought this through Pelican but it was a drop-ship deal where Pelican never had their hands on this. Not ideal, but what can you do?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.