Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parts frustration....., what else is new?
somd914
post May 30 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JStroud @ May 30 2015, 03:51 PM) *

I've never considered making a mistake a reason to banish a vendor from my list of who I use for future purchases. It's more how they handle the mistake that makes an impression on me....we're only human.

Continued errors and poor handling of them is the characteristic of a poor vendor.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I don't think it is so much the level of competence as some have eluded to, everyone will eventually make a mistake. In my opinion, as a whole I see fewer mistakes these days due to the increase of automation. It's more of a matter of caring about customers and wanting to do right when mistakes happen.

A few years back I made an order from a large vendor for several small items. One item was not in package. After several days of calling and sending e-mails, I finally got a phone call through. After explaining the situation, I was informed that they had spoken with the employee who packed the box a week and a half prior, and all items were shipped - damn good memory... They refused to help and basically accused me of trying to rip them off of a $14 item. I've never ordered from them again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post May 30 2015, 07:50 PM
Post #22

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Idiocracy

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 30 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #23

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Your partially tarded, but that's ok, my sister is tarded and she's a pilot.

Yes it seems like its coming true

It's scary
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 30 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #24

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

So, first of all let me say that I truly appreciate, respect and am humbled by the extent of knowledge, skills, and dedication our regular vendors have and provide for us and out little cars.

Eric (PMB) has been and will continue to be one of my first go to guys for all things 914. Shit, I even call/email him for things that have nothing to do with his business but relate to his extensive Porsche knowledge. I also know he has had to deal with family matters re his dad. Having gone through that for the past 9 years and having lost my dad in November, I personally have experienced and know all that is entailed when we become the parents and our parents become the children. It is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do - and believe me, I have done some pretty tough things. My hat is off to Eric and his staff- especially the nice young lady who works of him that used to live in Danville. She was absolutely helpful and a joy to talk to.

Today, a Saturday, I received a call from Brian at Sway Away. I believe he is the owner. He tracked down my torsion bar problem and said they will take care of it ASAP. He asked me to call him Monday. That is dedication and customer service. Everyone knows my car isn't rolling under its own power for at least 4 months ( (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) ) so nothing is a rush for me and I always make that clear.

I was frustrated because I had the perfect storm where several different major suppliers for us, not FLAPS people, had issues that caused a hiccup in the order. That was compounded by my parts going directly to Scotty in VA so after I order them I don't see them to check them off my list as received. My fault for not keeping better tabs on parts orders. I usually do not realize there is a problem until Scotty and I talk and ask him about the XXX part and he says, "What?" Then I know I have some work to do.

I am all fine now and just needed a hug (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) after a very tough week at work.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post May 31 2015, 12:02 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 7,712

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 30 2015, 06:50 PM) *

One of my favorite movies. Electrolytes, Upgrayyed, Beef Supreme and Frito!!!

Bahaha
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 31 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #26

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Ow my balls !
Looks a lot like I survived a Japanese game show and jack ass.
And upgrayedd with a double d, for a double dose of my pimping
+Quote Post
TX914
post Jun 1 2015, 06:01 AM
Post #27

Alan-B

Member No.: 17,689

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2015, 12:12 PM) *

I can tell you that growth has hurt me. I'm here on a Saturday trying to get caught up with customers that have real time crunch needs.

Being the only person fielding the questions from 30-40 calls per day, attempting to remember every add-on to every order "and" build 935 and 917 calipers and restore 3-4 914's and 2 911's. Open orders for over 24 S-Calipers which all need to be done by hand and then add to that, customers suddenly making panic calls about parts for long term projects that won't be ready until next year sometime. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I had to let a long term employee go last month, train a couple new ones and now, take a stab at who has the knowledge of these cars that you'd expect when you dial the phone? I'm very thankful that Gene Rice has joined our team but, I need more and, as a small business owner, those are scary propositions. My bi-weekly payroll and taxes are more than I was doing in monthly sales just three years ago. Oh... and I had the distinct honor of being the one in the family that went back to Michigan and had to tell my 85 year old father (suffering from dementia) that he could no longer live in his home anymore. Pack him up and fly him out to Salt Lake City. Add to that... a month and a half search for assisted living facilities that can handle memory care. Did I mention cleaning up piss at 3:00AM and putting on and taking off Depends all day? Damn that was one hell of a good time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I don't mention any of this for a "pitty fuch". This is my extended family. You guys helped me grow my business and grow personally and I thank you for it. I mention this stuff because "sometimes" there's another side to what may be going on with some of these "parts vendors". I don't think any of them would purposely screw up an order (well... I can actually think of one). Sometimes an order for sway bar plates gets bumped from production at a specialty metal fabricators shop because a puny 100 piece vintage Porsche order (negotiated at a price a 914 guy will swallow) doesn't take precedence over a 6,000 piece "price is no object" Boeing order.

I can certainly understand the frustration though. Imagine what it's like coordinating parts for 3-4 restoration projects and juggling mechanics, painters and good metal fabricators. Customers flying in from the UK that will "demand" a running car on a certain date, uber rare unobtaium part be damned! Now imagine attempting to sleep under those conditions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Yup... it's a really screwed up world out there. Or is it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I personally think we're rather blessed to have rare vintage Porsche's to play with. I think we're rather blessed to have the people we have here that are attempting to keep them alive, one screwed up order at a time. It took Porsche Classic 2 years to build the LWB 911 project. i wonder how many panic calls they get? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Breath...

Well I feel rather blessed to have a vendor dedicated to high quality work on the 914 – my calipers look and feel like new. Your efforts are appreciated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jun 1 2015, 09:35 AM
Post #28

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

It's a very small, very niche market. In addition to what Eric was saying. Try being the guy taking care of 6 restorations, keeping track of parts for all those cars, tracking down parts for all those cars, dealing with phone calls, e-mails, lining up future jobs, trying to find competent help etc, AND trying to find time to do real work in the shop. Most days are 8:00 to about 10:30, with the majority of my actual shop work being done after 5:00 when the parts suppliers are closed, my employee is gone, and most of the other people in my complex have gone home ( don't get me started on the other shop owners that want to come over and hang out all the time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ) I know neither Eric nor I could have made a living just on 914's so we both had to expand. On my end at least, I never sought out the expansion jobs, I just had 911, 356 and now BMW, M.B. and hot rod guys showing up out of nowhere. One of my customers who owns a construction business referred to it as " GROWING PAINS ", which I think describes it pretty well.

On my end, I can't just hire some guy that worked on a collision shop, or some guy that wants to learn resto work for 10.00/hr. I need to find highly skilled, people who have a long history with this type of work. ( $$$$$$) I simply don't have time to train someone that more than likely won't stay around, or just doesn't have the skills/gusto. I've been dealing with this long enough to know people really do think it's like the T.V. shows. Both customers, and help that hasn't actually worked in this field. I have had guys in their 50's and 60's who had done body work their whole lives come in thinking they were a shoe in, and once they saw in process work, and a finished higher end job, openly admit they can't do this work. It's a totally different world than collision or run of the mill Mustang and Camaro restos. I know most of the 914 parts suppliers also deal in other Porsches, and some in muscle cars and hot rods as well, which leads to the confusion. And for those guys that are simply parts suppliers they have a staff that more than likely are people that know little to nothing about the cars they are supplying parts for....bingo.....f-ups. You just won't find someone with intimate Porsche knowledge that is going to answer a phone taking orders all day for minimum wage.

I've gotten to where I am leaving my phone in the office and try to get back to people later in the day or at night because I can't get work done with the thing going off 2-3 times and hour.

It's now 11:30 and I'm about to lose another 2-3 hours of work time for a doctors appt. Yet another issue (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

And like Eric said.... there are also the outside of work issues. Keep your day jobs kid.s<_<

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 1 2015, 05:27 PM
Post #29

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yet another issue

This may help... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

What's Ail'n Poor Scooter?
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 1 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That reminds me, I think I need to call scatty and talk about semi gloss vs satin on my torsion bars. I can't go to sleep until we discus this.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 1 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #31

Michael

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) Stop typing and work on my Six! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Jun 9 2015, 09:03 AM
Post #32

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

and then there's this. Michaels alternator shows up. Great, I can finish up the engine. I pull it out of the box and try to unscrew the nut....super tight. I look at the end of the shaft....this no good. I try to turn the shaft......shit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Go back and look at the box it came in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Jun 10 2015, 08:45 AM
Post #33

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

we have all had some of those bad experiences, there are some good companies out there we need to patronize and the others that refuse to improve can die a slow painful death. we should really highlight those that for the most part do a great job most if not all of the time, but when they make a mistake , do their best to fix it.
I have a set of 5 lug 16" fuchs being refinished that i should have had a few weeks ago, but one of the wheels had to be redone so its taken a bit longer- i'm glad they didnt sent it out hoping that i wouldnt notice or care, instead its getting done right and i am willing to wait. ( i will post pictures and disclose who it is later) .
Also 99% of everyting ive ordered from 914 rubber has been correct and fast. right now i'm waiting on my seat upholstry because the one i picked was not correct, so it got sent back and Mark would not sent out the wrong stuff. Not his fault but his supplier. and HE has been working hard to get it done- offered to refund me or change my order, and at times ive come close after 9 months to doing that but again i dont blame him and really what's the hurry anyway, right? SO here is a shout out to Mark Whitesell, and our other vendors such as Pelican Parts, Stoddard and others i have never had a problem with!1 Thanks guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 10 2015, 09:55 AM
Post #34

Michael

Well at least the alternator was clean..... seriously though, what moron picks up that box and thinks it will be OK to send that out?

Hopefully the rebuilder will send out the return shipping label ASAP so they can replace the damn thing. I bought this through Pelican but it was a drop-ship deal where Pelican never had their hands on this. Not ideal, but what can you do?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:40 PM