Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Factory Antenna Placement Template, Instaltion Kit
914Sixer
post Jun 7 2015, 10:09 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Back in 2008 I sent out a bunch of antenna placement templates that came in the factory radio installation kit. I have had a member contact me IF I had any left but I do not. Anybody got one?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 7 2015, 11:07 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Jun 7 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

My car had/has the antenna hole on the passenger side. Was that way when I bought it 38 yrs ago.

In the 'what did you do to your 914' dept, I just bought/installed a new atenna about 2 months ago.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 7 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

I've had one of each side. One factory installed one dealer installed?
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 7 2015, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Die welt ist flach...

Member No.: 18,310
Region Association: South East States

Thanks, 914Sixer and sixnotfour! I'm in your debt.

I've got a full bare metal restoration of a '76 going on.

Intro to my 914s

The antenna came on the passenger's side. Since a lot of body work was being done, I decided to move it back to the correct (driver's side). What's another couple of hours after weeks of metal work? Since I'm trying to be a purist about it, it's great to know the precise location.

Thanks!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 7 2015, 01:07 PM) *
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 7 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176
Region Association: None

There are two features on our cars that prove that the antenna belongs on the drivers side. Even if a dealer put it on the passenger side.
First, there is a rubber grommet in the drivers inner fender that can be removed to pass the antenna wire through. No drilling. The antenna wire comes with a grommet to fit the hole.
Second, there is a hole in the drivers fender pinch weld to attach a bracket to stabilize the antenna.
And of course, the radio installation instructions tell you exactly where to put the hole for the antenna.
+Quote Post
driftingcloud
post Jun 7 2015, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Die welt ist flach...

Member No.: 18,310
Region Association: South East States

You should have seen how badly done the original antenna wire hole was done on the inside of the fender when it was on the passenger's side. It looked almost like a bullet hole (fired to the inside) with sharp metal all around it. Rubber grommet? What's that? Ha ha...

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 7 2015, 08:59 PM) *

There are two features on our cars that prove that the antenna belongs on the drivers side. Even if a dealer put it on the passenger side.
First, there is a rubber grommet in the drivers inner fender that can be removed to pass the antenna wire through. No drilling. The antenna wire comes with a grommet to fit the hole.
Second, there is a hole in the drivers fender pinch weld to attach a bracket to stabilize the antenna.
And of course, the radio installation instructions tell you exactly where to put the hole for the antenna.
+Quote Post
914dave
post Jun 8 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #8

914 Addict

Member No.: 1,262
Region Association: North East States

Thanks for posting this.
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 8 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 7 2015, 05:59 PM) *

But was that for Germany/Europe markets or the US? I look at modern USDM cars and it's either pass front or driver rear.

I went with a marine soft wire antenna under the cowl. Filling the hole for a clean look.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 8 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

Its the same for all 914s.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 8 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 8 2015, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 7 2015, 05:59 PM) *

But was that for Germany/Europe markets or the US? I look at modern USDM cars and it's either pass front or driver rear.

I went with a marine soft wire antenna under the cowl. Filling the hole for a clean look.

????? If someone here has a Euro market 914 (it is a European car right ?) and there is a grommet on the right inner fender and the bracket hole is on the right inner fender that will be a revelation.
But...... anyone can put an antenna anywhere they want.
I welded the fender hole, left the grommet, took out the speakers and put in a radio block off .
I couldn't hear the friggin' thing anyway.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 9 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

It just shows you the mentality of Porsche and the 914 at the time. Eh, just have the dealers pull out a drill and cut a hole! The same mentality exists today in drilling out front bumpers for the license plate mount.
+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Jun 9 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 9 2015, 09:39 AM) *

It just shows you the mentality of Porsche and the 914 at the time. Eh, just have the dealers pull out a drill and cut a hole! The same mentality exists today in drilling out front bumpers for the license plate mount.

Actually...... Porsche did their job, they put the right features in the cars.
The dealers didn't bother to know enough to do the job right.
+Quote Post
ejm
post Jun 9 2015, 07:36 PM
Post #14

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Member No.: 224

I think the length of the antenna cable is why many cars had the antenna mounted on the right. The cars came here without radio and antenna which were supplied by the US distributor (Volkswagen of America) and installed by the dealer. I've looked at many cars over the years and more often than not a left mounted antenna has some sort of an extension on the antenna cable. The installer at the dealer was making the supplied antenna fit without a cable extension. No doubt the factory intended the antenna on the left and providing a template shows they considered every detail except the use of parts sourced elsewhere.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:13 PM