Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Antenna Placement Template
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Back in 2008 I sent out a bunch of antenna placement templates that came in the factory radio installation kit. I have had a member contact me IF I had any left but I do not. Anybody got one?
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
fixer34
My car had/has the antenna hole on the passenger side. Was that way when I bought it 38 yrs ago.

In the 'what did you do to your 914' dept, I just bought/installed a new atenna about 2 months ago.
Chris914n6
I've had one of each side. One factory installed one dealer installed?
driftingcloud
Thanks, 914Sixer and sixnotfour! I'm in your debt.

I've got a full bare metal restoration of a '76 going on.

Intro to my 914s

The antenna came on the passenger's side. Since a lot of body work was being done, I decided to move it back to the correct (driver's side). What's another couple of hours after weeks of metal work? Since I'm trying to be a purist about it, it's great to know the precise location.

Thanks!

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 7 2015, 01:07 PM) *

beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
There are two features on our cars that prove that the antenna belongs on the drivers side. Even if a dealer put it on the passenger side.
First, there is a rubber grommet in the drivers inner fender that can be removed to pass the antenna wire through. No drilling. The antenna wire comes with a grommet to fit the hole.
Second, there is a hole in the drivers fender pinch weld to attach a bracket to stabilize the antenna.
And of course, the radio installation instructions tell you exactly where to put the hole for the antenna.
driftingcloud
You should have seen how badly done the original antenna wire hole was done on the inside of the fender when it was on the passenger's side. It looked almost like a bullet hole (fired to the inside) with sharp metal all around it. Rubber grommet? What's that? Ha ha...

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 7 2015, 08:59 PM) *

There are two features on our cars that prove that the antenna belongs on the drivers side. Even if a dealer put it on the passenger side.
First, there is a rubber grommet in the drivers inner fender that can be removed to pass the antenna wire through. No drilling. The antenna wire comes with a grommet to fit the hole.
Second, there is a hole in the drivers fender pinch weld to attach a bracket to stabilize the antenna.
And of course, the radio installation instructions tell you exactly where to put the hole for the antenna.
914dave
Thanks for posting this.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 7 2015, 05:59 PM) *

But was that for Germany/Europe markets or the US? I look at modern USDM cars and it's either pass front or driver rear.

I went with a marine soft wire antenna under the cowl. Filling the hole for a clean look.
JeffBowlsby
Its the same for all 914s.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 8 2015, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 7 2015, 05:59 PM) *

But was that for Germany/Europe markets or the US? I look at modern USDM cars and it's either pass front or driver rear.

I went with a marine soft wire antenna under the cowl. Filling the hole for a clean look.

????? If someone here has a Euro market 914 (it is a European car right ?) and there is a grommet on the right inner fender and the bracket hole is on the right inner fender that will be a revelation.
But...... anyone can put an antenna anywhere they want.
I welded the fender hole, left the grommet, took out the speakers and put in a radio block off .
I couldn't hear the friggin' thing anyway.
EdwardBlume
It just shows you the mentality of Porsche and the 914 at the time. Eh, just have the dealers pull out a drill and cut a hole! The same mentality exists today in drilling out front bumpers for the license plate mount.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 9 2015, 09:39 AM) *

It just shows you the mentality of Porsche and the 914 at the time. Eh, just have the dealers pull out a drill and cut a hole! The same mentality exists today in drilling out front bumpers for the license plate mount.

Actually...... Porsche did their job, they put the right features in the cars.
The dealers didn't bother to know enough to do the job right.
ejm
I think the length of the antenna cable is why many cars had the antenna mounted on the right. The cars came here without radio and antenna which were supplied by the US distributor (Volkswagen of America) and installed by the dealer. I've looked at many cars over the years and more often than not a left mounted antenna has some sort of an extension on the antenna cable. The installer at the dealer was making the supplied antenna fit without a cable extension. No doubt the factory intended the antenna on the left and providing a template shows they considered every detail except the use of parts sourced elsewhere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.