Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valentine One in ashtray, i dont know how, but i'm gonna try
CptTripps
post Feb 23 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #21

:: Punch and Pie ::

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Out on the open highway I usually know a CHP is around close to a mile before I see him.

I used to love CHiPs. Great show...Ponch and Jon would have the BEST times together...and always 'get their man'.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Feb 23 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #22

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

why not get one of these?
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Feb 23 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #23

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

wait nvm
Valentine One Radar/Laser detector is not built into or included with this mirror
a tad expensive at $800 for the mirror + V1... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) booo....
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 24 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #24

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I think you're talking about instant on laser like the motorcycle cops use. Nothing will protect you from that since the gun is not activated till they've spotted you and aimed directly at you. I got caught by instant on also. Out on the open highway I usually know a CHP is around close to a mile before I see him.

Yup. Out here in Kansas/Missouri, we have cops with what look like laser rifles. The one that caught me about a month ago was "hiding" just after the crest of a hill in a stretch of highway that happens to be 55mph (most are 65 around here). As I crested the hill, the laser detecter went off and I was busted 76 in a 55.

The sneaky bas*&^%$ like to have the cruiser running by the side of the road and "aim" the laser rifle at traffic, then jump in the car and have a "Hot Persuit". I think they spent too much time watching Dukes of Hazzard....

You are right, NOTHING can protect against that kind of speed trap.

I heard that you guys out in kalifornia don't need to worry about speeding tickets as you spend most of your time PARKED on the highways... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) (just kidding)
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 24 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #25

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

here in maryland they have something called vascar. it basicly times you over a known distance and then figures your speed, the crazy thing is if they can see you they can get ya. there is one state trooper who sits on 83 north of baltimore city, he uses binos and gets you from 2 miles away from one hill to another.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 24 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #26

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

damn.....i got tagged by some cop that was on the other side of the road, came down the hill doign 74 (which is the year of my car, oddly enough) in a 55....he ripped his e-brake and threw on his lights and went over a median....i was like OMG (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
larryp
post Feb 24 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 675

Britt-

You fix your car in any orderthat makes sense to you. Don't listen to any of these guys, what do they know anyway. They are old.

You know, as long as the car is laid-up in the bodyshop anyway, it is a pretty good time to pop some flares on. It's going to happen sooner or later, and this will save you at least one trip to the shop.
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Mar 8 2005, 04:22 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

Hey now,
My 914 will be able to use a good laser/radar detector/jammer. I just don't normally need one becauase I am boring and follow the traffic laws.
Steve, - can't wait to get out on the track.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 8 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #29

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

yeah....i thought it would be real coool. I just need to buy a valentine one.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Mar 8 2005, 09:09 AM
Post #30

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I use a V1 mounted low on the dash in conjunction with a CB and a Scanner. The CB and the scanner are stacked in the ashtray of the 911.

The CB uses an antenna from Radio Shack that looks like an old cell phone antenna and the scanner loops into the regular antenna.

The scanner alerts you with an audible and visual cue when a police officer engages his transmit button within a mile. It also has a DOT band and a Weather band. Very handy. The CB is probably the best as all the truckers give the location of the troops. The V1 is a backup on those lonely roads where there's not a truck or a car for miles.

That being said, "any" radar detector will suck at Laser and/or instant on, which is what most of them use. Laser is pin point accurate. They could literally target your car and not set off the detector. Laser is still fairly uncommon. Instant on is the most common and can be just a deadly. That's why I back it up with those other toys.

I have to admit, on the highway I rarely need any of them. If you travel along at 80mph in a 75 zone you'll never be stopped and frankly 80 is good for me. If I want to go faster there's always Las Vegas Motor Speedway or the new Miller Motorsport park. Being the proud papa of a couple beautiful girls I also understand the principle of not going more than 5mph over in a public zone. I've graduated from a Bondurant and a Barber course... my concern is the other drivers who haven't. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Not preaching... I've just come to that. Tickets can cost a lot of money. Money I can spend on "real" go fast goodies.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 8 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

There is a really cool article on installing a V1 in a 993 tachometer.
http://p-car.com/diy/v1/remote/
If your running a four I wonder if you could switch the internals...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 10:56 AM