Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Assessing Current Market Value, Had an offer but it's a bit low.
tracks914
post Jun 14 2015, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

The car market is s fickle thing. 5 years ago it was at an all time low, but things are better now.
My Yellow '72 in the avatar I sold in 2011 for $10K. It was fully restored.
I currently have my daily driver and was wondering what the members on this site would put as a realistic value if I (for some reason) had to sell it in (give or take) 6 months. No real hurry.
Details:
Fully rotisserie restored. Documented with all photos.
Resto-mod but almost everything is bolt on and original parts are still available for someone wanting an original-ish car.
1973 914 - 2.0 - side shift. Original F.I.
Engine refreshed, regasketed, repainted.
Tranny refreshed, new syncros, regasketed.
Brakes, running gear, steering gear, all new.
Rims and tires - off a 2000 Boxster. Adapters to 5 bolt used.
Seats, custom fit to 914 seat rails - off '88 Corolla.
Mirrors - '95 Olds Delta 88.
Flares - Fibreglass. - Original fenders still available to be welded back on if requested.
Stainless Steel interior parts, door panels and backpad all custom but complete original '75 black interior (9.5/10 condition) is available in storage.
Complete new floorpans and frame rails.
Great daily or sunny driver.
What do you think it could fetch?
BTW the appraised value I have for insurance is $22K but I know that's not even close to market value.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Jun 14 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'll venture a guess although it's a tough one and I'll give you my reasoning, as I follow Ebay sold pricing, but no expert.

If you compare your car to the same 73 2.0 FI full rotisserie restored without any mods and #2 condition, you'd probably be looking in the $22-26K sold price.

But your car is modded to your taste. Once you do that, you have to start subtracting, even though your car has great bones. Unless you find a buyer who loves everything you did (which is rare), how much money would it take to bring your car back to near original condition, with the exception of the 5 lugs and the flares? Changing those would bring the cost basis up too high, so you'd have to find a buyer who likes those which shouldn't be difficult. But bumpers, mirrors, interior pieces, bringing back chrome trim pieces etc would be counted. Let's say it cost $4000? So subtracting $4K from the $22-26K sold prices, I would expect somewhere in the $18-22K range, give or take.

Is that what you were thinking?

+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 14 2015, 04:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Would really need to drive it for a couple of years to be sure I could price it correctly. Very nice car! I would take it in a second! But fiberglass flares are not as desirable and the non 914 items will turn some off. I would say a sollid $15.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jun 14 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Why not add "testing the waters" to your post? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

That phrase seems to go with ads that are over priced and the seller is looking for a way out of getting bashed because of the price.

Hard to say what a modified 914 is going for. Original cars fetch the highest prices. These are upside down cars most of the time. Spend $50k upgrading and expect to get less than $25k in return.

Someone at WCR told me my car is worth $30k. I don't think so. Mine is heavily modified and fits into a small part of the 914 car market. If I were offered $30k, I would sell it and build another. I would not want to sell it for less. I don't think I could replicate it for less. I have never had any hell hole issues and finding cars like this is very difficult today.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jun 14 2015, 06:48 PM
Post #5

Canadian Member

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 14 2015, 02:29 PM) *

If you compare your car to the same 73 2.0 FI full rotisserie restored without any mods and #2 condition, you'd probably be looking in the $22-26K sold price.

But your car is modded to your taste. Once you do that, you have to start subtracting, even though your car has great bones. Unless you find a buyer who loves everything you did (which is rare), how much money would it take to bring your car back to near original condition, with the exception of the 5 lugs and the flares? Changing those would bring the cost basis up too high, so you'd have to find a buyer who likes those which shouldn't be difficult. But bumpers, mirrors, interior pieces, bringing back chrome trim pieces etc would be counted. Let's say it cost $4000? So subtracting $4K from the $22-26K sold prices, I would expect somewhere in the $18-22K range, give or take.

My car is a little gem but you are right, it is "my little gem" built with my taste.
I was really thinking it was in the $12-$15K range.

That being said, for someone wanting the original look.
Judging from the fact I did all the restoration myself, from the welding, bodywork/paint all the way to the upholstery. I think I can do the following in these hours.
Refinish and install original bumpers - 10 hours.
Remove rear fin and fill trunk holes - 1 hour.
Remove interior - 4 hours.
Remove mirrors and fill holes - 1 hour.
Install original black interior - 6 hours?
Remove wheel adapters - .5 hour.
Remove flares, weld in original fender cut-outs, bodywork and repaint 4 fenders, two doors and trunk - 40 hours+.
Install original bright trim - 2 hours.

That would be less than 2 weeks steady work on it and in the end how much more would it really be worth. But it can be done. Or I can take a loss on the car and sell all the 9.5/10 original interior, trim and other good parts for about $2K?

+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jun 14 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #6

Canadian Member

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 14 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Why not add "testing the waters" to your post? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
That phrase seems to go with ads that are over priced and the seller is looking for a way out of getting bashed because of the price.

Actually the truth is I don't want to sell my car and am not "testing the waters. I want to buy a motorcycle and I want to show my wife how much the car might be worth and is worth holding onto for now as it probably won't go down in value as long as I keep it in great shape. Sounds weird when I put it in writing like that.

But if were offered enough $$$ for it......ha ha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jun 14 2015, 06:55 PM
Post #7

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Love the seats. Who did them? Anther pic please of the seats. Good looking car
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 14 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #8

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Then there's the fact it's in "where the fuch is Timmins?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Jun 14 2015, 08:03 PM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'm thinking 20 is a fair number. The mods may not bring $ from purist, but what you've done to the car is fairly tasteful and I think you'd find a buyer who would like it. The only think that turned me off was the rust on the HE
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jun 14 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #10

Canadian Member

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 14 2015, 05:35 PM) *

Then there's the fact it's in "where the fuch is Timmins?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

LOLOLOL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Just a bit North of Port Hope.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jun 14 2015, 08:42 PM
Post #11

Canadian Member

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 14 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Love the seats. Who did them? Anther pic please of the seats. Good looking car

I did them. Seats are out of an '88 Corolla. Original grey interior. I used the back seats (of the Corolla) to replace some worn panels in the front seats and the rest of the back seat material to cover the back pad and door panel tops. I took the interior light off the ceiling and put it into the 914 as well.
I removed the seat rails from the Corolla seats and mounted the seat pan to the 914 seat rails. I wish I took pictures of that when I did them. They actually fit pretty good a teener.
I can slide the seats out just as you can the original 914 seats. Maybe tomorrow I will do that and take a picture of the underside.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jun 14 2015, 09:04 PM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

$12K. I am not a fan of fiberglass but your car is clean. I do like the way the seats fit the car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Jun 14 2015, 09:34 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

Why would anyone want to buy your car to convert it back to a 73 2.0. It already lost it's fenders. It would represent a lot of work and money to bring it back to it's original state. Bodywork, complete interior, paint, trims, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

In the end, the new owner will have an original 73 2.0 with patched up fenders, a 75 interior, and a resealed engine with mismatched color scheme and wrong exhaust system. Again more money. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

You customized your car to your liking, keep it, and most importantly enjoy it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Or GLWTS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 14 2015, 10:55 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

I'd guess $12K.... but its worth nothing (my guess).
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Mar 19 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Canadian Member

Bump, I just had a friend offer me $7500US for the car. I think that's a bit low and if I sell it this spring I will try and sell it online for more.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 19 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Put it on Bring a Trailer and see what happens. At least you’ll get good exposure to like minded enthusiasts.
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Mar 19 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Canadian Member

I've never heard of that but I'll take a look.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 20 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #18

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2015, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 14 2015, 02:29 PM) *

My car is a little gem but you are right, it is "my little gem" built with my taste.
I was really thinking it was in the $12-$15K range.

That being said, for someone wanting the original look.
Judging from the fact I did all the restoration myself, from the welding, bodywork/paint all the way to the upholstery. I think I can do the following in these hours.
Refinish and install original bumpers - 10 hours.
Remove rear fin and fill trunk holes - 1 hour.
Remove interior - 4 hours.
Remove mirrors and fill holes - 1 hour.
Install original black interior - 6 hours?
Remove wheel adapters - .5 hour.
Remove flares, weld in original fender cut-outs, bodywork and repaint 4 fenders, two doors and trunk - 40 hours+.
Install original bright trim - 2 hours.

That would be less than 2 weeks steady work on it and in the end how much more would it really be worth. But it can be done. Or I can take a loss on the car and sell all the 9.5/10 original interior, trim and other good parts for about $2K?

I say list the car with all the parts you have for ~25k and let people make offers. you might find someone in the upper age group that really wants those comfy seats and likes the flares, but wants to put the chrome bumpers on. He offers you 22k and you sell the rest of the stuff.

Obviously you said you are not looking to sell at the moment but I think with that knowledge a long term sale is in your best interest.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 20 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #19

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

No doubt its a nice ride . But you have to remember the
Percentage of people who actually buy 914s is extremely small
Compared to the rest of used car market .

So you are already playing against a stacked deck.
And that front bumper is not helping things
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Mar 20 2018, 05:28 PM
Post #20

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2015, 05:53 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 14 2015, 03:13 PM) *

Actually the truth is I don't want to sell my car and am not "testing the waters. I want to buy a motorcycle and I want to show my wife how much the car might be worth and is worth holding onto for now as it probably won't go down in value as long as I keep it in great shape. Sounds weird when I put it in writing like that.

But if were offered enough $$$ for it......ha ha. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Thats kinda dumb when you go investment value

Just buy what you want to have fun with an do it

Go ahead and waste money ,but dont waste time
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:54 PM