Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assessing Current Market Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
The car market is s fickle thing. 5 years ago it was at an all time low, but things are better now.
My Yellow '72 in the avatar I sold in 2011 for $10K. It was fully restored.
I currently have my daily driver and was wondering what the members on this site would put as a realistic value if I (for some reason) had to sell it in (give or take) 6 months. No real hurry.
Details:
Fully rotisserie restored. Documented with all photos.
Resto-mod but almost everything is bolt on and original parts are still available for someone wanting an original-ish car.
1973 914 - 2.0 - side shift. Original F.I.
Engine refreshed, regasketed, repainted.
Tranny refreshed, new syncros, regasketed.
Brakes, running gear, steering gear, all new.
Rims and tires - off a 2000 Boxster. Adapters to 5 bolt used.
Seats, custom fit to 914 seat rails - off '88 Corolla.
Mirrors - '95 Olds Delta 88.
Flares - Fibreglass. - Original fenders still available to be welded back on if requested.
Stainless Steel interior parts, door panels and backpad all custom but complete original '75 black interior (9.5/10 condition) is available in storage.
Complete new floorpans and frame rails.
Great daily or sunny driver.
What do you think it could fetch?
BTW the appraised value I have for insurance is $22K but I know that's not even close to market value.
Big Len
I'll venture a guess although it's a tough one and I'll give you my reasoning, as I follow Ebay sold pricing, but no expert.

If you compare your car to the same 73 2.0 FI full rotisserie restored without any mods and #2 condition, you'd probably be looking in the $22-26K sold price.

But your car is modded to your taste. Once you do that, you have to start subtracting, even though your car has great bones. Unless you find a buyer who loves everything you did (which is rare), how much money would it take to bring your car back to near original condition, with the exception of the 5 lugs and the flares? Changing those would bring the cost basis up too high, so you'd have to find a buyer who likes those which shouldn't be difficult. But bumpers, mirrors, interior pieces, bringing back chrome trim pieces etc would be counted. Let's say it cost $4000? So subtracting $4K from the $22-26K sold prices, I would expect somewhere in the $18-22K range, give or take.

Is that what you were thinking?

Mblizzard
Would really need to drive it for a couple of years to be sure I could price it correctly. Very nice car! I would take it in a second! But fiberglass flares are not as desirable and the non 914 items will turn some off. I would say a sollid $15.
Mike Bellis
Why not add "testing the waters" to your post? poke.gif

That phrase seems to go with ads that are over priced and the seller is looking for a way out of getting bashed because of the price.

Hard to say what a modified 914 is going for. Original cars fetch the highest prices. These are upside down cars most of the time. Spend $50k upgrading and expect to get less than $25k in return.

Someone at WCR told me my car is worth $30k. I don't think so. Mine is heavily modified and fits into a small part of the 914 car market. If I were offered $30k, I would sell it and build another. I would not want to sell it for less. I don't think I could replicate it for less. I have never had any hell hole issues and finding cars like this is very difficult today.
tracks914
QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 14 2015, 02:29 PM) *

If you compare your car to the same 73 2.0 FI full rotisserie restored without any mods and #2 condition, you'd probably be looking in the $22-26K sold price.

But your car is modded to your taste. Once you do that, you have to start subtracting, even though your car has great bones. Unless you find a buyer who loves everything you did (which is rare), how much money would it take to bring your car back to near original condition, with the exception of the 5 lugs and the flares? Changing those would bring the cost basis up too high, so you'd have to find a buyer who likes those which shouldn't be difficult. But bumpers, mirrors, interior pieces, bringing back chrome trim pieces etc would be counted. Let's say it cost $4000? So subtracting $4K from the $22-26K sold prices, I would expect somewhere in the $18-22K range, give or take.

My car is a little gem but you are right, it is "my little gem" built with my taste.
I was really thinking it was in the $12-$15K range.

That being said, for someone wanting the original look.
Judging from the fact I did all the restoration myself, from the welding, bodywork/paint all the way to the upholstery. I think I can do the following in these hours.
Refinish and install original bumpers - 10 hours.
Remove rear fin and fill trunk holes - 1 hour.
Remove interior - 4 hours.
Remove mirrors and fill holes - 1 hour.
Install original black interior - 6 hours?
Remove wheel adapters - .5 hour.
Remove flares, weld in original fender cut-outs, bodywork and repaint 4 fenders, two doors and trunk - 40 hours+.
Install original bright trim - 2 hours.

That would be less than 2 weeks steady work on it and in the end how much more would it really be worth. But it can be done. Or I can take a loss on the car and sell all the 9.5/10 original interior, trim and other good parts for about $2K?

tracks914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 14 2015, 03:13 PM) *

That phrase seems to go with ads that are over priced and the seller is looking for a way out of getting bashed because of the price.

Actually the truth is I don't want to sell my car and am not "testing the waters. I want to buy a motorcycle and I want to show my wife how much the car might be worth and is worth holding onto for now as it probably won't go down in value as long as I keep it in great shape. Sounds weird when I put it in writing like that.

But if were offered enough $$$ for it......ha ha. evilgrin.gif
bandjoey
Love the seats. Who did them? Anther pic please of the seats. Good looking car
Mark Henry
Then there's the fact it's in "where the fuch is Timmins?" poke.gif
PanelBilly
I'm thinking 20 is a fair number. The mods may not bring $ from purist, but what you've done to the car is fairly tasteful and I think you'd find a buyer who would like it. The only think that turned me off was the rust on the HE
tracks914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 14 2015, 05:35 PM) *

LOLOLOL lol-2.gif
Just a bit North of Port Hope.
tracks914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 14 2015, 04:55 PM) *

Love the seats. Who did them? Anther pic please of the seats. Good looking car

I did them. Seats are out of an '88 Corolla. Original grey interior. I used the back seats (of the Corolla) to replace some worn panels in the front seats and the rest of the back seat material to cover the back pad and door panel tops. I took the interior light off the ceiling and put it into the 914 as well.
I removed the seat rails from the Corolla seats and mounted the seat pan to the 914 seat rails. I wish I took pictures of that when I did them. They actually fit pretty good a teener.
I can slide the seats out just as you can the original 914 seats. Maybe tomorrow I will do that and take a picture of the underside.
Cairo94507
$12K. I am not a fan of fiberglass but your car is clean. I do like the way the seats fit the car.
Montreal914
Why would anyone want to buy your car to convert it back to a 73 2.0. It already lost it's fenders. It would represent a lot of work and money to bring it back to it's original state. Bodywork, complete interior, paint, trims, etc. confused24.gif

In the end, the new owner will have an original 73 2.0 with patched up fenders, a 75 interior, and a resealed engine with mismatched color scheme and wrong exhaust system. Again more money. blink.gif

You customized your car to your liking, keep it, and most importantly enjoy it! driving.gif

Or GLWTS biggrin.gif

EdwardBlume
I'd guess $12K.... but its worth nothing (my guess).
tracks914
Bump, I just had a friend offer me $7500US for the car. I think that's a bit low and if I sell it this spring I will try and sell it online for more.
GeorgeRud
Put it on Bring a Trailer and see what happens. At least you’ll get good exposure to like minded enthusiasts.
tracks914
I've never heard of that but I'll take a look.
Andyrew
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2015, 05:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Big Len @ Jun 14 2015, 02:29 PM) *

My car is a little gem but you are right, it is "my little gem" built with my taste.
I was really thinking it was in the $12-$15K range.

That being said, for someone wanting the original look.
Judging from the fact I did all the restoration myself, from the welding, bodywork/paint all the way to the upholstery. I think I can do the following in these hours.
Refinish and install original bumpers - 10 hours.
Remove rear fin and fill trunk holes - 1 hour.
Remove interior - 4 hours.
Remove mirrors and fill holes - 1 hour.
Install original black interior - 6 hours?
Remove wheel adapters - .5 hour.
Remove flares, weld in original fender cut-outs, bodywork and repaint 4 fenders, two doors and trunk - 40 hours+.
Install original bright trim - 2 hours.

That would be less than 2 weeks steady work on it and in the end how much more would it really be worth. But it can be done. Or I can take a loss on the car and sell all the 9.5/10 original interior, trim and other good parts for about $2K?

I say list the car with all the parts you have for ~25k and let people make offers. you might find someone in the upper age group that really wants those comfy seats and likes the flares, but wants to put the chrome bumpers on. He offers you 22k and you sell the rest of the stuff.

Obviously you said you are not looking to sell at the moment but I think with that knowledge a long term sale is in your best interest.
thelogo

No doubt its a nice ride . But you have to remember the
Percentage of people who actually buy 914s is extremely small
Compared to the rest of used car market .

So you are already playing against a stacked deck.
And that front bumper is not helping things
thelogo
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2015, 05:53 PM) *

Actually the truth is I don't want to sell my car and am not "testing the waters. I want to buy a motorcycle and I want to show my wife how much the car might be worth and is worth holding onto for now as it probably won't go down in value as long as I keep it in great shape. Sounds weird when I put it in writing like that.

Thats kinda dumb when you go investment value

Just buy what you want to have fun with an do it

Go ahead and waste money ,but dont waste time
mobymutt
Cool car! I read the mods list before I saw the pictures, and was thinking uh oh... but I love the end result! Not sure how'd you see it in the snow though smile.gif
Dave_Darling
It is significantly customized, and a lot of work to bring back to original. Having the "original fenders ready to be welded back on" isn't much of an incentive--if you'd noticed some of the threads here, welding fenders back on (let alone ones that were cut up!) is a lot of work to do well.

The mirrors and tail leave holes that must be filled.

Everything would have to be painted...

Note that the exhaust is the crappy 75-76 type, not the original 73-74 type. That's more money to backdate. And bolt-on four-to-five adapters are not a good thing to use on any 914.

I'd say that $7500 isn't unreasonable, frankly. I would offer less, but I'm not in the market for another 914 right now.

--DD
tracks914
[/quote]
Thats kinda dumb when you go investment value

Just buy what you want to have fun with an do it

Go ahead and waste money ,but dont waste time
[/quote]
This was an old thread resurrected. Already bought the motorcycle and enjoy driving it more than the 914.
Just thinking of selling now because I drive the bike so much. That and I'm losing my storage area soon.
tracks914
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Mar 20 2018, 04:10 PM) *

Cool car! I read the mods list before I saw the pictures, and was thinking uh oh... but I love the end result! Not sure how'd you see it in the snow though smile.gif

Yes there is still a lot of snow up here. (I spent the day skiing today.) That's why the car only gets driven about 4 months of the year. The rest it is tucked away in a garage.
914_teener

"Actually the truth is...." implies the intent was less than truthful from the beginning. An oxymoronic statement......so to speak.
tracks914
QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 21 2018, 06:00 PM) *

"Actually the truth is...." implies the intent was less than truthful from the beginning. An oxymoronic statement......so to speak.

At the time I didn't wish to sell the car, 2 years ago. But now I am thinking seriously about it. It's so hard to put a market value on it so I resurrected this thread.
914_teener
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Mar 21 2018, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 21 2018, 06:00 PM) *

At the time I didn't wish to sell the car, 2 years ago. But now I am thinking seriously about it. It's so hard to put a market value on it so I resurrected this thread.

Well.....I was thinking about the part about your wife. Gonna show her the post?

Ah.......I think it worth 40k poke.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 20 2018, 05:55 PM) *

It is significantly customized, and a lot of work to bring back to original. Having the "original fenders ready to be welded back on" isn't much of an incentive--if you'd noticed some of the threads here, welding fenders back on (let alone ones that were cut up!) is a lot of work to do well.

The mirrors and tail leave holes that must be filled.

Everything would have to be painted...

Note that the exhaust is the crappy 75-76 type, not the original 73-74 type. That's more money to backdate. And bolt-on four-to-five adapters are not a good thing to use on any 914.

I'd say that $7500 isn't unreasonable, frankly. I would offer less, but I'm not in the market for another 914 right now.

--DD

agree.gif

Take the trunk wing off (patch and paint), swap the corolla seats out with matching interior 914 seats, and swap the late model wheels with some five lug Fuchs. I’ll bet your car will reach a much wider audience with those few and relatively minor changes that seem to fit easily in your skill set.
914_teener
Got it licked.....

It even rhymes:

I will say its worth 200k

If you give me 130K

As long as you don.t make me sign an NDA.

Rob-O
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2015, 06:35 PM) *

LOLOLOL lol-2.gif

Isn’t Timmons where Shania Twain grew up?
tracks914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Mar 21 2018, 06:53 PM) *

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jun 14 2015, 06:35 PM) *

LOLOLOL lol-2.gif

Isn’t Timmons where Shania Twain grew up?

I used to go to the bars as a teen and watch her sing when she was 15-17. She was better then singing covers than she is now. I'm not much of a fan of hers. I'd rather go see Nickleback. aktion035.gif
tracks914

[/quote]

Well.....I was thinking about the part about your wife. Gonna show her the post?

Ah.......I think it worth 40k poke.gif
[/quote]
LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.