Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CA Smog Laws -- you gotta love it...., I talked to everyone in the state today
nine14cats
post Feb 24 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #21

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Hi Mike,

Yep, Glen at the Bureau suggested just that. He said that I should try my best to yank everything needed from one donor car. Keep the donor car records, pics, anything that would help with evidence where the motor and parts came from.

Does the FI fit under the 914 hood? I keep remembering that there are fitment issues with non-carbed SBC's, or is it just the ease, cost and simplicity of the carbed motors that makes them desireable? I'd have to learn more about the electronics if I went that route.

I should call Renegade, Simpson, and Desert Hybrids...... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 24 2005, 11:19 AM
Post #22

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

I know a guy in Ohio that is doing an FI and turbo'd V8....Ed Secrest...he occasionally posts on this board....if you can't find an of his posts....PM me and I will put you in touch.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 25 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #23

Update....the 930 got registered...BUT....he's only exempt until 2007 when he needs to smog it under the CURRENT reg.....stoopid freakin law.....even the guy at the State said the law was badly written,,,IF they amed the law....which they need..(my comment) he MAY get a pass and be permanently exempt...

Be advised...this ALL second hand.....
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 25 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #24

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

damn suby swaps sound even better, mine is running obd2, did i mention it IS running, the only exception is the egr, but i did not need to remove it, i just did

i would bet that almost any modern engine could would pass smog, using the stock fi. its just a matter of time and a little money. not including engine i spent less than a new mps costs
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 25 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 07:53 PM)
damn suby swaps sound even better, mine is running obd2, did i mention it IS running, the only exception is the egr, but i did not need to remove it, i just did

i would bet that almost any modern engine could would pass smog, using the stock fi. its just a matter of time and a little money. not including engine i spent less than a new mps costs

depending on the year of the donor vehicle, the hardest part might be the gas tank, the stock tank will have to be fitted with the correct sensor to ensure that the evap system works correctly...I think it is looking for positive pressure...on one of our newer cars, the check engine light would go off, turned out that we didn't close/twist the gas cap all the way a few times.....

hmmmm.....how much smog stuff did the Turbocharged Buick Grand Nationals have? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 25 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #26

BTW...the engine/vin # HAS to be a stick oriented donor motor....if it's an automatic...yer fucked...they won't pass it...different engine controls....
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 25 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #27

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 25 2005, 07:07 PM)

... the hardest part might be the gas tank, the stock tank will have to be fitted with the correct sensor to ensure that the evap system works correctly...

not really i just used resistors to make the brain think the gas gauge and gas temp where hooked up. and as far as the purge system working it works just like a 914 system but it draws its air through the intake at both ends not through the fan housing at the supply end. and the tank being pressurized is easy too you just take the stock purge line to the purge fitting on the over flow and cap off the drain

the refs dont have enough info on the newer systems due to the fact that the other stuff that you dont hook up like the fuel seperator is not part of the emission stuff its a fuel system part, and in effect the overflow tank acts like the seperator, its job is not to allow splashes to get sucked through the purge line
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Mar 5 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #28

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

This thread is very interesting.

This 76 roller that I just got hasn't been registered since 1987 and so I could get it registered now before the end of the month and maybe get away with it. But from Mike's 930 friend's experience it doesn't seem like it really works. hrm. I might try it anyway and see what my results are.

Anyone else have experience trying this out?

-Tony
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Mar 5 2005, 02:08 AM
Post #29

neo life

Member No.: 159

Bill,
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
You could look into an interim V6 conversion with all the stock smog equipment. After a successfull inspection, you can replace it with a V8 and you will already have the tranny and cooling system installed... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/mueba.gif)
The only downside is you may have to swap it every 2 years...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 5 2005, 09:04 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Mar 4 2005, 11:26 PM)
This thread is very interesting.

This 76 roller that I just got hasn't been registered since 1987 and so I could get it registered now before the end of the month and maybe get away with it. But from Mike's 930 friend's experience it doesn't seem like it really works. hrm. I might try it anyway and see what my results are.

Anyone else have experience trying this out?

-Tony

To reiterate....he was able to register it w/o smog. There is no clear direction from DMV as to WHAT will be the regs in 2007 for a car that was registerd as exempt then has to go back in and be smogged. My bet is that they will prolly exempt them....the retroactive issue will be a nightmare.....DMV/BAR willl prolly print up some cute little exempt stickers and slap them in the door....
+Quote Post
mrmeade
post Mar 6 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 2,537

I own a 1976 914 with registration that expires March 12th. Am I to try to get it smogged this year as it well be declared "smog exempt" and I won't have to go through the smog issues ever again? If this is the case, I will get smog done this week and let you all know how well this works.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Mar 6 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #32

neo life

Member No.: 159

Bill,
I just remembered one of the V8 911 guys and one of the 944 V8 guys in our V8 Porsche "group" went through a ref station a year ago... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) I'll see if I can get some details...
Felix
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 6 2005, 12:44 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (mrmeade @ Mar 6 2005, 03:13 AM)
I own a 1976 914 with registration that expires March 12th. Am I to try to get it smogged this year as it well be declared "smog exempt" and I won't have to go through the smog issues ever again? If this is the case, I will get smog done this week and let you all know how well this works.

The point is to get it registered BEFORE the new law goes into effect....hoping that the ones that do so in the early part of 2005 will be exempt again in 2007. Smogging it now would prolly negate that.

Call the official listed earlier in the thread and get the information on how to do it...
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 6 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #34

I'd try getting the car registered without the smog cert first and see what they say. As Mike Z says, you can call the Bureau to see if you can get clarrification.

Felix,

Let me know what your V8 friends say about the ref. I'm debating on going for it with a smog legal V8. Some plusses to it in one sense since the car would be injected and have a CARB sticker from the referee. Still doesn't mean much as they can always change laws later, but at least I would be legal in CA eyes.

Ask your friends what is a good swap candidate (i.e. 1989 Camaro 350?). I haven't started looking at donor cars yet.

Problem is I have a line on a freshly built SBC 283 with manifolds, dizzy, intake, carb...whole enchilada, that has pretty decent price. I could do a little work on the motor to make it a revver and keep the 901 tranny. Most of the specs on any of the injected 350's say they are torquers. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't want the expense of building up my 930 gearbox right now. I've got too many bills to spend on for the completion of the race car build.

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 6 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #35

IF you do the smog legal V8 route....get a copy of their rules....any question...ask, then get it in writing...don't trust them any farther than you throw them....

Do a motor PRE OBD, get one that was a stick shift as the GM numbers on the engine will tell the ref what it was....SOME post 76 V8s did come from the factory with carbs....most came with TBI.....Edelbrock makes real nice upgrades that are CARB approved.

One queston "I" have....do you have to use a passenger car V8 or can a truck motor do? Trucks have less restrictive smog rules and controls and prolly CAN'T be used.....
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Mar 8 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #36

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

Okay, I just spoke with Glen and he says that 76 cars after April 1st, no matter when they are registered will be subject to the same smog regulations as other post 76 cars. The only loophole which isn't really a loophole at all, is that until April 1, 76 cars are exempt from smog checks at change of ownership, etc.

So unless the law is repealed or changed between now ant 2007, a 76 car will require smog checks.

-Tony
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Mar 8 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #37

QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Mar 8 2005, 10:00 AM)
So unless the law is repealed or changed between now ant 2007, a 76 car will require a smog check.

IN 2007....
+Quote Post
SprinklerHead
post Mar 14 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 3,762

Hi, I've been lurking for awhile on this forum. Really nice site you have here.

I'm looking at a 76 914 here in Cali and I've been keeping an eye on this thread. I just went and checked out the car in person tonight and noticed that it was made in 09/75. Registration is over due on the car since november. Think there's any chance I could get around smog for a couple years on it? The owner is also interested in possibly keeping it if he can get around smog. I'll let him keep it if he can get around smog.

Who has the better chance of getting around smog, him or I?
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Mar 14 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #39

My interpretation after talking with the Bureau and reading the replies on the thread is that since the car is classed as a 1976, either of you would need smog certs going forward.

The tub itself is called a '76, so there's no getting around it. Bummer.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
sanglee007
post Mar 15 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #40

Unregistered

Looks like the Commando has Terminated the 76. (I'm the one selling to SprinklerHead.)

Sang
Maybe I should move to Mars...no smog there! and plenty of blue skies.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 07:39 PM