Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miscelaneous Transmission and Engine Drop Questions, Transmission and Engine Swap
Highland
post Jun 28 2015, 01:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

I just dropped my engine and plan to swap transmission onto a new engine and install. A few questions:

1) I had a tin hang up on the trailing arm bolt while dropping to motor. Is this typical? Will I have the same problem when reinstalling? Should the tins be loosened for wiggle room? What is the trade technique.

2) The stock injector rails seems like they would also catch. I removed them for the engine drop. Should I do the same for the install?

3) Transmission is leaking through the console. I got the shift console apart but can't get the seal out. What's the recommended method?

4) My old engine has electronic ignition on the distributer. Can I just swap distributers (I test ran the new engine with points)? The new motor is a stock 2.0 with Raby 9590 valve train setup, the old is a 1.7. I know Brad Anders site shows different part numbers, but does anyone know what the difference is? Is it the mechanical advance set-up. Both mine a vacuum advance/retard.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mikedsilva
post Jun 28 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,462
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I'm only new at this, but I also just lowered my motor out yesterday, and similarly, an engine tin caught on the left hand side... I just carefully used a large flat screwdriver to "massage" back the tin around the bolt so it could come down carefully.

Nothing else caught (fuel rails were clear).

Can't assist with your other questions yet as I am yet to tackle them too!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:29 PM