Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Body flex causing top fitment and window issues, On lift I get 25 1/8" and on the ground it changes to 25"?
Steve
post Jul 1 2015, 09:10 AM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

What is the consensus on flex regarding the roll bar to windshield flange measurement?
Item "F" on the body dimensions page.
http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

My car was fine until I had a shop weld in the Engman long kit. The car is much stiffer, but the windows and top no longer fits right when the car is on the ground.
On the lift I get 25 1/8".
Off the lift I get exactly 25"

How much should the car flex when on my scissor lift versus on the ground?
The scissor lift is using the four jack pods to raise the car.

Should the car be like 25 1/4" on the lift and 25 1/8" on the ground?
Is 1/8" flex normal? What is everyone else seeing?

I will post some pictures tonight.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rick 918-S
post Jul 2 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Without seeing the car it is hard to tell what is going on with it. But The last car I fixed was solid on or off the jacks. If you drive the car hard you may have some fatigue? You'll have to look further. are you able to change the measurement this way?

Place the car on jack stands level as you can. (not the biggest deal just so it doesn't rock on the stands. hold the tape in place have someone lift the rear bumper then try it on the front. Then try it corner to corner front and rear with a cross measurement. I want to know if it is the front or rear changing the measurement and if one corner is weaker than another. I'll be out today but Lets see that that develops.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 2 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 2 2015, 06:59 AM) *

Without seeing the car it is hard to tell what is going on with it. But The last car I fixed was solid on or off the jacks. If you drive the car hard you may have some fatigue? You'll have to look further. are you able to change the measurement this way?

Place the car on jack stands level as you can. (not the biggest deal just so it doesn't rock on the stands. hold the tape in place have someone lift the rear bumper then try it on the front. Then try it corner to corner front and rear with a cross measurement. I want to know if it is the front or rear changing the measurement and if one corner is weaker than another. I'll be out today but Lets see that that develops.

Thanks Rick!! Great advice!! I will know more after taking more measurements. I will put the car back on the scissor lift and raise the rear with a floor jack and see if it changes and then try the front.
I will try all four corners. Sad part is I have all the carpet and interior back in. This might be something I just tolerate until the winter break.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 05:06 PM