Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Solid State Relay Board
peteyd
post Apr 3 2020, 02:38 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 16 2017, 12:00 PM) *

We've been spending some time putting together a redesigned board with solid state relays. I have to finish the 19mm master cylinders before I jump full bore into this, but these would look OEM until you pop the cover.

@Mikey914 have you made any progress on this project?

I am interested for a build here.

Pete
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Apr 3 2020, 03:45 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

I'd volunteer to create an STL file (i.e. a file for a 3D printer) for the board itself if someone can help with component selection and placement on said board.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 3 2020, 05:20 PM
Post #63

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

What needs to be done on this? Looks like it would be a PCB, some components, a frame of sorts, and some epoxy. I could help with the PCB if needed.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 3 2020, 07:19 PM
Post #64

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 3 2020, 01:38 PM) *

We've been spending some time putting together a redesigned board with solid state relays. I have to finish the 19mm master cylinders before I jump full bore into this, but these would look OEM until you pop the cover.

Pete

Actually we are working on the board. We decided that with the reliability of the relays we are making now going through 500,000 cycles the solid state thing built into the board, is really an added expense for no real extra value. The new boards are underway now.
Mark
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Apr 3 2020, 08:24 PM
Post #65

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 3 2020, 09:19 PM) *

Actually we are working on the board. We decided that with the reliability of the relays we are making now going through 500,000 cycles the solid state thing built into the board, is really an added expense for no real extra value. The new boards are underway now.
Mark

Solid State relays are quite sexy but not really needed here. High speed and extra cost are not advantages in the 914. Good call to stay with mechanical relays.

A little side story about SS relays. I'm a consultant for a major rail manufacturer and I was brought in a couple of years ago to analyze failures of a certain board with a high number of returns. It was a very complicated board with several power supplies, CPUs, FPGAs, and a lot of analog circuits on the board. I narrowed down a majority of failures to a particular SS relay on the board. There were six of these SS relays. They would not turn on. They had an LED input and LED receptors on the output side. Over time the current transfer ratio (CTR) would decay to the point where the relays would not turn on and the board would fail.

On one board someone thought a large FPGA had failed and it was replaced. The board worked fine for about 4 months then failed again. The FPGA was the driver for the SS relays. In my investigation I found that the SS relay could be annealed with heat and its CTR improved which is what happened on this board. The heat of removing and replacing the FPGA annealed one of the relays but it failed a short time later.

Here's the kicker: The relay was originally designed and manufactured by Bell Labs in the 1980's. I was in that group which designed the SS relays and I knew the part number. I did not design that SS relay. I did receive my one and only US patent with a SS relay. If you're interested, it's patent # US5360979A.

Spoke's SS Relay Patent
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 3 2020, 08:54 PM
Post #66

The rubber man

Size is really the issue. They are relitively inexpensive now, but we chose to improve the product we all need and make new boards that we may all need too.

BTW here's the latest.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Apr 3 2020, 09:03 PM
Post #67

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

I suggest that one of the biggest failures on these boards is the physical contact between relay pins and the sockets.

If someone makes a board with new sockets and non-relaxed pins, it would likely be a good replacement and last for another half-century.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Apr 3 2020, 09:15 PM
Post #68

The rubber man

That's where we are going with this.
+Quote Post
peteyd
post Apr 6 2020, 06:04 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 8,858
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 3 2020, 05:19 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 3 2020, 01:38 PM) *

Pete

Mark

Good news! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I look forward to seeing the end product

Pete
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 08:36 AM