Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ignition switch
slapshot914
post Feb 25 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #1

ole swede

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,649

Oh CRAP!, Last week we came home from a spin parked the car in the garage, covered her up, and turned out the lights. Yesterday the sun was shining and I thought I would drive the teener to work. No ignition key. I have looked everywhere, checked all my pants pockets, shirt pockets, jacket pockets, turned the house inside out and upside down.

OK, I give up. I've got a working ignition switch in the parts car. Here's the question, can I just pull out the tumbler (and if so, how) or do I have to tear the whole column apart to remove the ignition switch? Help, please.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Hammy
post Feb 25 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #2

mr. Wonderful

Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

I believe you do have to remove the whole steering wheel and all that to get to the screws for the switch..
+Quote Post
skline
post Feb 25 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Yes but he will need the key to release the steering lock. Good luck. There are ways around it, like maybe another key will release the lock. I had one yesterday when I was replacing mine that any key would turn the ignition. Needless to say, I didnt use that one.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Feb 25 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

I just had this problem, YESTERDAY.. Well I lost my keys some time back, but I need to move the car. Forget pulling the SW, you won't get it out (or not easily). I pulled the passenger door panel out, 2 nuts on the door handle and out it came. Took that door handle to a locksmith that does car locks, $20 bucks later and 1 hour - I have a new key.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

This is by far the easiest approach.
+Quote Post
slapshot914
post Feb 25 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #5

ole swede

Member No.: 1,649

Thanks for the rplies. I had to log off for a bit. Can a locksmith build a new key with the switch still in the car?
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 25 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Yup....IF the door locks are the same as the ignition key....pull the door handle and get a key made from that....

If you have AAA, they will pay for the keys being made if ya tell them ya locked the keys inside...
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 25 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #7

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

There was a post like this a few days ago. Do a search.

You can take the bottom of the steering column off and get to the switch. Look under the column and find the allen bolt and remove it. It holds the plastic cover on. When the cover is removed you can see the lock and the switch and you can figure out how to take it all apart. You can remove the lock and be able to start the car with a screw driver. It's easy.

914's are really very easy to steal. Sorry.

Paul
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 25 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a mobile locksmith can do it in about 30 minutes. i had it done when mine was stolen. they take a soft blank and turn it back and forth to leave impressions. this is repeated a few times. the guy that did mine then got out a key chart book, read the impressions and cut a new one. hopefully the ignition key matches the doors.

k
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 25 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #9

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

and why do you all go through this, it is even easier than you think.... remove the 2 screws that hold the fuse board up, run 1 jumper from the head light fuse to the switched hot ( dont remember which ) then use a screw driver to jump the starter or run a hot from the battery to the relay board starter contact to crank it. then when you turn the light off the car shuts off (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Feb 26 2005, 09:48 AM
Post #10

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 07:04 PM)
and why do you all go through this, it is even easier than you think.... remove the 2 screws that hold the fuse board up, run 1 jumper from the head light fuse to the switched hot ( dont remember which ) then use a screw driver to jump the starter or run a hot from the battery to the relay board starter contact to crank it. then when you turn the light off the car shuts off (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/headbang.gif)

Am I missing something here? That's great if he only wants to start the car but won't the steering lock prevent him from being able to perform the necessary turning movements?

I like the "remove the door handle" idea, if the locks are the same.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Feb 26 2005, 10:04 AM
Post #11

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE (type47fan @ Feb 26 2005, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 07:04 PM)
and why do you all go through this, it is even easier than you think.... remove the 2 screws that hold the fuse board up, run 1 jumper from the head light fuse to the switched hot ( dont remember which ) then use a screw driver to jump the starter or run a hot from the battery to the relay board starter contact to crank it. then when you turn the light off the car shuts off  :headbang:

Am I missing something here? That's great if he only wants to start the car but won't the steering lock prevent him from being able to perform the necessary turning movements?

I like the "remove the door handle" idea, if the locks are the same.

I have to agree. Thats like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. Might work in an emergency situation if your wheel lock is broken. I pulled my trunk lock and had a key made from that. Worked great.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 26 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #12

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

my steering lock is broken or removed never had it wheni got my car. but i would think the steering lock on a few cars is broken too, and its not a big deal, or i would not think its a big deal to yank the wheel in a situation where its needed to break it . at least you could move it around in 3 to 5 mins, with out pushing
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Feb 26 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #13

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 25 2005, 05:49 PM)
There was a post like this a few days ago. Do a search.

You can take the bottom of the steering column off and get to the switch. Look under the column and find the allen bolt and remove it. It holds the plastic cover on. When the cover is removed you can see the lock and the switch and you can figure out how to take it all apart. You can remove the lock and be able to start the car with a screw driver. It's easy.

914's are really very easy to steal. Sorry.

Paul

Basically, there's nothing in this post that reflects reality! Sorry, but it's true. In order to get to the switch, the wheel's gotta come off, the wires pulled, the turn signal and wiper switches pulled up out of the way, and the little cover over the switch removed. THEN you need the key to turn the switch far enough to release the steering lock. Removing the allen head bolt will allow you to remove the assembly, but not untill you release the lock. Any way you look at it, ya need a key. A slide hammer comes to mind......................... A clear cut case for having a good quality spare tucked away.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:41 PM