Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slapshot914
Oh CRAP!, Last week we came home from a spin parked the car in the garage, covered her up, and turned out the lights. Yesterday the sun was shining and I thought I would drive the teener to work. No ignition key. I have looked everywhere, checked all my pants pockets, shirt pockets, jacket pockets, turned the house inside out and upside down.

OK, I give up. I've got a working ignition switch in the parts car. Here's the question, can I just pull out the tumbler (and if so, how) or do I have to tear the whole column apart to remove the ignition switch? Help, please.
Hammy
I believe you do have to remove the whole steering wheel and all that to get to the screws for the switch..
skline
Yes but he will need the key to release the steering lock. Good luck. There are ways around it, like maybe another key will release the lock. I had one yesterday when I was replacing mine that any key would turn the ignition. Needless to say, I didnt use that one.
TravisNeff
I just had this problem, YESTERDAY.. Well I lost my keys some time back, but I need to move the car. Forget pulling the SW, you won't get it out (or not easily). I pulled the passenger door panel out, 2 nuts on the door handle and out it came. Took that door handle to a locksmith that does car locks, $20 bucks later and 1 hour - I have a new key.

smilie_pokal.gif

This is by far the easiest approach.
slapshot914
Thanks for the rplies. I had to log off for a bit. Can a locksmith build a new key with the switch still in the car?
Joe Bob
Yup....IF the door locks are the same as the ignition key....pull the door handle and get a key made from that....

If you have AAA, they will pay for the keys being made if ya tell them ya locked the keys inside...
URY914
There was a post like this a few days ago. Do a search.

You can take the bottom of the steering column off and get to the switch. Look under the column and find the allen bolt and remove it. It holds the plastic cover on. When the cover is removed you can see the lock and the switch and you can figure out how to take it all apart. You can remove the lock and be able to start the car with a screw driver. It's easy.

914's are really very easy to steal. Sorry.

Paul
rhodyguy
a mobile locksmith can do it in about 30 minutes. i had it done when mine was stolen. they take a soft blank and turn it back and forth to leave impressions. this is repeated a few times. the guy that did mine then got out a key chart book, read the impressions and cut a new one. hopefully the ignition key matches the doors.

k
scotty914
and why do you all go through this, it is even easier than you think.... remove the 2 screws that hold the fuse board up, run 1 jumper from the head light fuse to the switched hot ( dont remember which ) then use a screw driver to jump the starter or run a hot from the battery to the relay board starter contact to crank it. then when you turn the light off the car shuts off headbang.gif
type47fan
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 07:04 PM)
and why do you all go through this, it is even easier than you think.... remove the 2 screws that hold the fuse board up, run 1 jumper from the head light fuse to the switched hot ( dont remember which ) then use a screw driver to jump the starter or run a hot from the battery to the relay board starter contact to crank it. then when you turn the light off the car shuts off headbang.gif

Am I missing something here? That's great if he only wants to start the car but won't the steering lock prevent him from being able to perform the necessary turning movements?

I like the "remove the door handle" idea, if the locks are the same.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (type47fan @ Feb 26 2005, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 25 2005, 07:04 PM)
and why do you all go through this, it is even easier than you think.... remove the 2 screws that hold the fuse board up, run 1 jumper from the head light fuse to the switched hot ( dont remember which ) then use a screw driver to jump the starter or run a hot from the battery to the relay board starter contact to crank it. then when you turn the light off the car shuts off  :headbang:

Am I missing something here? That's great if he only wants to start the car but won't the steering lock prevent him from being able to perform the necessary turning movements?

I like the "remove the door handle" idea, if the locks are the same.

I have to agree. Thats like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound. Might work in an emergency situation if your wheel lock is broken. I pulled my trunk lock and had a key made from that. Worked great.
scotty914
my steering lock is broken or removed never had it wheni got my car. but i would think the steering lock on a few cars is broken too, and its not a big deal, or i would not think its a big deal to yank the wheel in a situation where its needed to break it . at least you could move it around in 3 to 5 mins, with out pushing
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 25 2005, 05:49 PM)
There was a post like this a few days ago. Do a search.

You can take the bottom of the steering column off and get to the switch. Look under the column and find the allen bolt and remove it. It holds the plastic cover on. When the cover is removed you can see the lock and the switch and you can figure out how to take it all apart. You can remove the lock and be able to start the car with a screw driver. It's easy.

914's are really very easy to steal. Sorry.

Paul

Basically, there's nothing in this post that reflects reality! Sorry, but it's true. In order to get to the switch, the wheel's gotta come off, the wires pulled, the turn signal and wiper switches pulled up out of the way, and the little cover over the switch removed. THEN you need the key to turn the switch far enough to release the steering lock. Removing the allen head bolt will allow you to remove the assembly, but not untill you release the lock. Any way you look at it, ya need a key. A slide hammer comes to mind......................... A clear cut case for having a good quality spare tucked away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.