Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Screwy electrical thing, Even the clock gets involved
Porschef
post Jul 11 2015, 07:54 AM
Post #1

How you doin'

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Haven't spent any real time trying to figure this one out but there is something a little strange going on. I try to drive the car at least once during the week to work, it's a little over 80 miles. After a little while, I'll notice the oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge (both VDO in the console) jump a little higher, then drop back down, then repeat a couple times, then I'm not paying attention, then it does it again, and so on.

Now the strange part, I'll shut it down, and the clock, which has been keeping perfect time all week while parked, has stopped, and I'll need to reset it.

I went out this morning, and it's keeping perfect time again.

Other than that, there are no affects on the way the engine runs, i.e.. No hesitation, bucking, etc. No starting problems after sitting a few days.

Any ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien_2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
cantley914
post Jul 11 2015, 08:19 AM
Post #2

Pipeline surgeon

Member No.: 2,210

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 11 2015, 05:54 AM) *

Haven't spent any real time trying to figure this one out but there is something a little strange going on. I try to drive the car at least once during the week to work, it's a little over 80 miles. After a little while, I'll notice the oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge (both VDO in the console) jump a little higher, then drop back down, then repeat a couple times, then I'm not paying attention, then it does it again, and so on.

Now the strange part, I'll shut it down, and the clock, which has been keeping perfect time all week while parked, has stopped, and I'll need to reset it.

Other than that, there are no affects on the way the engine runs, i.e.. No hesitation, bucking, etc. No starting problems after sitting a few days.

Any ideas? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alien_2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Sounds like a bad ground connection to me.
+Quote Post
Valy
post Jul 11 2015, 08:57 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,573
Region Association: Northern California

You have voltage drops on the clock and other gauges. You either have a bad ground or a heavy consumers on the same supply that is active only when the car runs. The radio would be a good one to check.
Do you have any add-ons or funny electrical wires running through your fuse box?
Check the battery terminals as well.
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Jul 11 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 11 2015, 03:54 PM) *

Check to voltage regulator! I had the same problem with one of my British classics. A new regulator cured the problem.

Menno
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 11 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #5

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(cantley914 @ Jul 11 2015, 10:19 AM) *

Sounds like a bad ground connection to me.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That all 3 gauges have issues points to a common ground or power fault.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 11 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #6

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check the grounds, thats the easiest.

Radio and amps are on dedicated lines.

Then I'll try Menno's suggestion and swap the regulator.

Joe
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:32 PM