Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Screwy electrical thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Haven't spent any real time trying to figure this one out but there is something a little strange going on. I try to drive the car at least once during the week to work, it's a little over 80 miles. After a little while, I'll notice the oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge (both VDO in the console) jump a little higher, then drop back down, then repeat a couple times, then I'm not paying attention, then it does it again, and so on.

Now the strange part, I'll shut it down, and the clock, which has been keeping perfect time all week while parked, has stopped, and I'll need to reset it.

I went out this morning, and it's keeping perfect time again.

Other than that, there are no affects on the way the engine runs, i.e.. No hesitation, bucking, etc. No starting problems after sitting a few days.

Any ideas? confused24.gif blink.gif alien_2.gif smoke.gif
cantley914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 11 2015, 05:54 AM) *

Haven't spent any real time trying to figure this one out but there is something a little strange going on. I try to drive the car at least once during the week to work, it's a little over 80 miles. After a little while, I'll notice the oil pressure gauge and the temp gauge (both VDO in the console) jump a little higher, then drop back down, then repeat a couple times, then I'm not paying attention, then it does it again, and so on.

Now the strange part, I'll shut it down, and the clock, which has been keeping perfect time all week while parked, has stopped, and I'll need to reset it.

Other than that, there are no affects on the way the engine runs, i.e.. No hesitation, bucking, etc. No starting problems after sitting a few days.

Sounds like a bad ground connection to me.
Valy
You have voltage drops on the clock and other gauges. You either have a bad ground or a heavy consumers on the same supply that is active only when the car runs. The radio would be a good one to check.
Do you have any add-ons or funny electrical wires running through your fuse box?
Check the battery terminals as well.
thieuster
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 11 2015, 03:54 PM) *

Check to voltage regulator! I had the same problem with one of my British classics. A new regulator cured the problem.

Menno
Spoke
QUOTE(cantley914 @ Jul 11 2015, 10:19 AM) *

Sounds like a bad ground connection to me.

agree.gif

That all 3 gauges have issues points to a common ground or power fault.
Porschef
Thanks for the replies.

I'll check the grounds, thats the easiest.

Radio and amps are on dedicated lines.

Then I'll try Menno's suggestion and swap the regulator.

Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.