Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift help
Bagpype
post Jul 11 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,936
Region Association: None

Well, as it happens I have more questions. On my tail shift I tried to adjust the shifter obviously wrong. I was jumping out of first so i tried to adjust it. Now it won't even shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th. It's like there's a block so the shifter won't even go into gear. I know it's an adjustment issue but dr evil's instructions don't work and the 35 year old Haynes manual I have is as useful as a hooker without holes. When I loosen the pinch bolt, I have no way of supporting the shift rod to prevent it moving while the shifter is moved. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I would like to punch the engineer who designed this shifter in the eye though. Please help. I haven't even been able to drive this car very far. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Jul 11 2015, 11:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

Use a pair of visegrip pliers to grab the shift rod through the rear access hole to brace it.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 12 2015, 12:14 AM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

... and when you DO finally get it adjusted correctly (fine-tuned), thoroughly clean and mark the rods where they mate with a good permanent method so the whole process will go easier on you the next time you need to disassemble and reassemble it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

I spent a few hours fine-tuning the linkage on my wife's car after replacing all the shift bushings (also a tail-shifter). It was my first time, didn't mark the rods prior to disassembly, and didn't have the foresight to employ a friend to help when putting it back together (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Patience ...

P.S. The engineer who designed it probably isn't alive today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Jul 12 2015, 02:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,215

QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 11 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Well, as it happens I have more questions. On my tail shift I tried to adjust the shifter obviously wrong. I was jumping out of first so i tried to adjust it. Now it won't even shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th. It's like there's a block so the shifter won't even go into gear. I know it's an adjustment issue but dr evil's instructions don't work and the 35 year old Haynes manual I have is as useful as a hooker without holes. When I loosen the pinch bolt, I have no way of supporting the shift rod to prevent it moving while the shifter is moved. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I would like to punch the engineer who designed this shifter in the eye though. Please help. I haven't even been able to drive this car very far. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Interesting... I had the same problem (could not get first, or it popped out of first right away, but 3rd and 5th were fine), but I did the DrEvil instructions instead of the bungie-cord-to-the-passenger-door thing. I now get first gear 90% of the time, and all other gears 100%. Go figure!
+Quote Post
Bagpype
post Jul 12 2015, 07:46 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,936

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jul 12 2015, 04:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 11 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Interesting... I had the same problem (could not get first, or it popped out of first right away, but 3rd and 5th were fine), but I did the DrEvil instructions instead of the bungie-cord-to-the-passenger-door thing. I now get first gear 90% of the time, and all other gears 100%. Go figure!

The problem is I now don't know which gear its in. I don't know how to manually put it in first. I think its twist the shift tube towards the passenger side, push towards front. To add insult to injury my starter went out during this whole ordeal. At least I know how to fix that! Anyone here from Georgia and feel like showing me what I'm doing?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:41 PM