Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bagpype
Well, as it happens I have more questions. On my tail shift I tried to adjust the shifter obviously wrong. I was jumping out of first so i tried to adjust it. Now it won't even shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th. It's like there's a block so the shifter won't even go into gear. I know it's an adjustment issue but dr evil's instructions don't work and the 35 year old Haynes manual I have is as useful as a hooker without holes. When I loosen the pinch bolt, I have no way of supporting the shift rod to prevent it moving while the shifter is moved. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I would like to punch the engineer who designed this shifter in the eye though. Please help. I haven't even been able to drive this car very far. headbang.gif
Bob L.
Use a pair of visegrip pliers to grab the shift rod through the rear access hole to brace it.
euro911
... and when you DO finally get it adjusted correctly (fine-tuned), thoroughly clean and mark the rods where they mate with a good permanent method so the whole process will go easier on you the next time you need to disassemble and reassemble it shades.gif

I spent a few hours fine-tuning the linkage on my wife's car after replacing all the shift bushings (also a tail-shifter). It was my first time, didn't mark the rods prior to disassembly, and didn't have the foresight to employ a friend to help when putting it back together dry.gif

Patience ...

P.S. The engineer who designed it probably isn't alive today sad.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 11 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Well, as it happens I have more questions. On my tail shift I tried to adjust the shifter obviously wrong. I was jumping out of first so i tried to adjust it. Now it won't even shift into 1st, 3rd, or 5th. It's like there's a block so the shifter won't even go into gear. I know it's an adjustment issue but dr evil's instructions don't work and the 35 year old Haynes manual I have is as useful as a hooker without holes. When I loosen the pinch bolt, I have no way of supporting the shift rod to prevent it moving while the shifter is moved. I am at a complete loss as to what to do. I would like to punch the engineer who designed this shifter in the eye though. Please help. I haven't even been able to drive this car very far. headbang.gif

Interesting... I had the same problem (could not get first, or it popped out of first right away, but 3rd and 5th were fine), but I did the DrEvil instructions instead of the bungie-cord-to-the-passenger-door thing. I now get first gear 90% of the time, and all other gears 100%. Go figure!
Bagpype
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jul 12 2015, 04:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Bagpype @ Jul 11 2015, 10:00 PM) *

Interesting... I had the same problem (could not get first, or it popped out of first right away, but 3rd and 5th were fine), but I did the DrEvil instructions instead of the bungie-cord-to-the-passenger-door thing. I now get first gear 90% of the time, and all other gears 100%. Go figure!

The problem is I now don't know which gear its in. I don't know how to manually put it in first. I think its twist the shift tube towards the passenger side, push towards front. To add insult to injury my starter went out during this whole ordeal. At least I know how to fix that! Anyone here from Georgia and feel like showing me what I'm doing?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.