Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 Chump Car, Sebring 2015
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 12 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,907
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Mark Henry
post Jul 18 2015, 07:05 AM
Post #21

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Member andrew15 is also building a chump car, if you have the time you should try to connect with all the 914 guys you see and direct them here.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 18 2015, 02:06 PM
Post #22

Tires are here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 18 2015, 02:07 PM
Post #23

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 18 2015, 05:05 AM) *

Member andrew15 is also building a chump car, if you have the time you should try to connect with all the 914 guys you see and direct them here.

Thanks Mark, I'll message him. I would like to see if there's anymore chump cars out there.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jul 18 2015, 02:23 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

Andrew's car is really cool - V6 Nissan engine and I bet it hauls. That being said, I've driven Shane's car and am looking forward to driving it again... it's freaking FAST, at least compared to mine.

The plan is to swap mine to the Suby SVX 3.3 motor for next year, retaining the 901. It's right on the verge of being able to handle the motor, but with the Chumpcar rules, you get penalized for changing anything from stock. I think it'll be a good fit though and power/weight should make it a blast to drive.

Then again, having the baby has put the brakes on just about everything at the moment. I was able to get the SVX donor car running very well, but I'm at a stand-still for the moment. Still, Shane's car is going to do well and we'll have fun as always.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 18 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 18 2015, 12:23 PM) *

Andrew's car is really cool - V6 Nissan engine and I bet it hauls. That being said, I've driven Shane's car and am looking forward to driving it again... it's freaking FAST, at least compared to mine.

The plan is to swap mine to the Suby SVX 3.3 motor for next year, retaining the 901. It's right on the verge of being able to handle the motor, but with the Chumpcar rules, you get penalized for changing anything from stock. I think it'll be a good fit though and power/weight should make it a blast to drive.

Then again, having the baby has put the brakes on just about everything at the moment. I was able to get the SVX donor car running very well, but I'm at a stand-still for the moment. Still, Shane's car is going to do well and we'll have fun as always.

I'll never understand how chump car will let you add the 3.3 sub, Andrew has a modern V6 and I can't put my 2.7 in there. It changes the car's basic value from $250 to $15000. So stupid. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Don't every think I didn't have fun in your car last year. Next year, maybe we can run two teeners.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 23 2015, 07:10 PM
Post #26

Lightened up the car today. Found all this trapped in rocker panels. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 26 2015, 05:21 AM
Post #27

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 18 2015, 06:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jul 17 2015, 09:12 PM) *

T.C., your help would be much appreciated. I assume your not driving again? I wanted to mix it up with you again.

Not this year - I'm having an Eye Operation in August. I've been racing Go-Karts Blind in one eye for 6 Months & Winning! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Update, I went to my Eye Dr and I no longer need Surgery - I've been cleared to Drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Bill's Racing 914
post Jul 26 2015, 02:41 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 17,064
Region Association: None

How did you run the lines to the oil cooler? Did you run them outside along the tunnel behind the rocker panel or did you run them inside the cockpit?

If you ran them inside the cockpit, are they steel braided?

Also, check your windshield adhesive...my windshield popped out since the glue strips dry rotted. Cracked the windshield.
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 26 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jul 26 2015, 12:41 PM) *

How did you run the lines to the oil cooler? Did you run them outside along the tunnel behind the rocker panel or did you run them inside the cockpit?

If you ran them inside the cockpit, are they steel braided?

Also, check your windshield adhesive...my windshield popped out since the glue strips dry rotted. Cracked the windshield.

Check post 4. I used braided line (-10 i think, can't remember). Ran both lines in the passengers side heater channel. This picture is the passenger footwell.

As far as the windshield go, you have me scared. I've run a lot of laps at the bumpiest track in the world and it didn't crack yet. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Jul 26 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2015, 03:21 AM) *

T.C., your help would be much appreciated. I assume your not driving again? I wanted to mix it up with you again.

Not this year - I'm having an Eye Operation in August. I've been racing Go-Karts Blind in one eye for 6 Months & Winning! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Update, I went to my Eye Dr and I no longer need Surgery - I've been cleared to Drive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Congrats!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Plan on renting a seat then? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Bill's Racing 914
post Jul 26 2015, 11:32 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 17,064

Read my thread "Broken windshield after roll cage install" several topics below yours to see what everyone else has to say. Lots of broken glass due to old glue. You won't know it is a problem till it happens to you. In fat, I was able to pop my windshield out just by slapping it a few times from the inside along the upper edge. Trim came off and everything.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=259122

I suggest you have yours reinstalled and then ad racing tabs...2 along the top and 2 along the bottom....to it just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the photo on the oil lines running through the passenger heater duct.....cool stuff.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jul 27 2015, 04:57 AM
Post #32

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jul 26 2015, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2015, 03:21 AM) *

Congrats!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Plan on renting a seat then? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Working on it!
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 3 2015, 04:37 AM
Post #33

Racer from Birth

[quote name='carr914' date='Jul 27 2015, 06:57 AM' post='2215285']
[quote name='Jetsetsurfshop' post='2215058' date='Jul 26 2015, 05:57 PM']
[quote name='carr914' post='2214835' date='Jul 26 2015, 03:21 AM']
[quote name='carr914' post='2211851' date='Jul 18 2015, 06:32 AM']
[quote name='Jetsetsurfshop' post='2211699' date='Jul 17 2015, 09:12 PM']

[/quote]

Working on it!
[/quote]

I will driving the "Kids Racing for Life" BMW. I will be driving with a another 914 Racer named Geoff Hanson from England. He bought the White HSR race car from me last year. I think he now has 3 914s, a 944 and a 300Zx - all race cars

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 3 2015, 06:17 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

That's very cool TC! Sorry I haven't had a chance to call you or Shane back this weekend. Will do that today.

Glad to have you on track again! Hopefully I'll be able to do a little wheel-to-wheel with you this time.

Is that beemer an E30 or an E36? I drove an E30, which was a blast. The E36s look like a TON of fun. Funny - the owner said he "set it up" to oversteer... when I drove it, it pushed like I pig in the corners. Then again, being a 914 guy, everything understeers to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 3 2015, 06:18 AM
Post #35

Racer from Birth

E30
+Quote Post
Jetsetsurfshop
post Aug 3 2015, 02:25 PM
Post #36

TC
How many on your team and whats your promised drive time?
Stoked your going to be out there again! We need to make sure you and George are in the same time slot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 3 2015, 05:08 PM
Post #37

Racer from Birth

4 Drivers, so 3+ Hours to the Checkered Flag
+Quote Post
andrew15
post Aug 17 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 11,594

We just rolled in after the 12 hour race at Brainerd on the classic 3.1 mile Donnybrooke course

We almost made it a full 12 hours - our voltage regulator died and killed the battery with 6 minutes to go, but overall the car ran quite nicely. Once we sort a few minor issues, it should be quite competitive.

In the end, we came in 17th
Not great, but we didn't have a crew with us and all duties were shared by the 3 drivers - fueling, fire ex, driver swap, etc. Our pit changes were not the quickest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We also had a bit of a fuel starvation issue - almost like the 044 pump wasn't getting fuel in spite of a surge tank.

We came back with a clean car - no accident damage or broken stuff even though each of us had a couple spins.

Things we learned:
- Lexan windshields suck at dusk
- Lexan rear windows may suck even more as you can't see anything through the rear view at dusk
- A 914 can spin like a top once you lose it
- An improperly routed surge tank can starve you car in long sweeping right handers
- An 18 gallon cell is of no use if you can only use 12 before starvation (see surge tank)
- We should probably try to get a practice day in or talk to locals before the race about brake, turn in points, etc
- While spinning can be fun, this wasn't the right time or place - we should probably try to fix that.

A big thanks to ChumpCar for arranging this event on the Donnybrooke circuit - to run a 12hr race on the same course as the 70's Can-Am cars is something we will never get to do again and we will treasure the experience.

AM
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 17 2015, 05:09 PM
Post #39

Racer from Birth

QUOTE(andrew15 @ Aug 17 2015, 05:46 PM) *

We just rolled in after the 12 hour race at Brainerd on the classic 3.1 mile Donnybrooke course

We almost made it a full 12 hours - our voltage regulator died and killed the battery with 6 minutes to go, but overall the car ran quite nicely. Once we sort a few minor issues, it should be quite competitive.

In the end, we came in 17th
Not great, but we didn't have a crew with us and all duties were shared by the 3 drivers - fueling, fire ex, driver swap, etc. Our pit changes were not the quickest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

We also had a bit of a fuel starvation issue - almost like the 044 pump wasn't getting fuel in spite of a surge tank.

We came back with a clean car - no accident damage or broken stuff even though each of us had a couple spins.

Things we learned:
- Lexan windshields suck at dusk
- Lexan rear windows may suck even more as you can't see anything through the rear view at dusk
- A 914 can spin like a top once you lose it
- An improperly routed surge tank can starve you car in long sweeping right handers
- An 18 gallon cell is of no use if you can only use 12 before starvation (see surge tank)
- We should probably try to get a practice day in or talk to locals before the race about brake, turn in points, etc
- While spinning can be fun, this wasn't the right time or place - we should probably try to fix that.

A big thanks to ChumpCar for arranging this event on the Donnybrooke circuit - to run a 12hr race on the same course as the 70's Can-Am cars is something we will never get to do again and we will treasure the experience.

AM

We need pictures or it never happened! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Aug 17 2015, 05:11 PM
Post #40

Racer from Birth

Remember Rule #1, Don't hit the car in front of you!

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:01 AM