driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
driving.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
driving.gif
Seabird
Fantastic! I know you have been working towards this goal for some time Shane, congratulations on making it happen!

I am a little unplugged from the Chump Series this year what's going to be your first race, Sebring?

Miguel
brant
Way too nice for chump car. !!!!!
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Seabird @ Jul 12 2015, 03:55 PM) *

Fantastic! I know you have been working towards this goal for some time Shane, congratulations on making it happen!

I am a little unplugged from the Chump Series this year what's going to be your first race, Sebring?

Miguel

Been doing Time Trails with NASA, but this will be the first race. It's going to be tough letting someone else take the wheel. I'm sure George felt the same way. I just hope we don't make to poor of a showing.
Are you driving with the Condor guys?
Oh, and did you build you engine yet?
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2015, 04:22 PM) *

Thanks!

It had a front end hit before I owned it. I never felt bad about modifying anything on it to make it race worthy.
But thanks for the complement. smile.gif
brant
You should take it vintage racing too
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2015, 04:41 PM) *

You should take it vintage racing too

I dont know if it qualifies. I did so much modifications (good and bad) that I may have gone to far for their rules. confused24.gif
carr914
driving.gif
Seabird
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jul 12 2015, 04:29 PM) *

Been doing Time Trails with NASA, but this will be the first race. It's going to be tough letting someone else take the wheel. I'm sure George felt the same way. I just hope we don't make to poor of a showing.
Are you driving with the Condor guys?
Oh, and did you build you engine yet?

Condor is not pursuing Chump this year. They are going to run the VIR race just to get practice for NASA Nationals but thats it. I doubt I'll even go to that race either.

My focus is to race Daytona or Savannah with HSR at the moment. And Sebring in December with them. I would prefer to run the 914 at those events but I am not sure that's in the cards.

Which one? dry.gif The WSR motor is on it way back from the builder now. Should have the car reassembled by the end of the weekend. The 914 motor has taken to scowling at me every time I walk into the shop sad.gif I am a little daunted by the prospect of assembling it. I was actually thing of calling you and Keith up and see if we could get together on it. Give me a ring when you are free some time.

Miguel
jeff
I agree, much nicer than the 914 I've been working on....
Seabird
ChumpCar is changing folks. The days of the smash derby are coming to a close and its going to be a very viable mainstream racing series to get involved in.

This year they released new class rules and contact rules. Long and short of it they are getting to the point that any contact will get you ejected.

If you ever had dreams of racing in Le Mans this is a damn close series that is actually attainable. (not close as in 917 and all that mind you dry.gif ) I raced a 25hr race back in 2011 at Nelson Ledges, what an experience. The camaraderie, the strategy, the physical challenge, the pit work, car prep, all of it, it was fantastic. The show stopper for me was the safety issues. I walked away think someone is going to get killed.

Last year I worked with a e30 team and was quite surprised by how far the organization has come. And with the new changes its just getting better.

These guys are turning the club racing world on its head. There has long been a place for sprint racing at the club level and now there is a place for club endurance racing.

Get after it Shane! Ill try to keep the weekend free and work the pits for you all.

Miguel
CGDerian
Shane,

Looks great. Your base car is really nice and your build does it justice.

Do you know what your TCV is for ChumpCar?

I've got a 914 with a Gen1 SBC I'm running out here in the West. Just had to put another motor in it, but hoping to get it to the LVMS race next month.

Your post is inspiring me to stop lurking around here and finally post some build pics.

All the best, let us know how it goes.

-cd
carr914
Shane, I applaud you for the effort and will be there to support you (Crew), but I don't think a 914 is a good car for Chump!. After driving last year and doing well in a Water Cooled Toyota that never had to stop except for Gas, I learned a lot.
ThePaintedMan
...water cooled? Hmm.... idea.gif happy11.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
Been working (at my business sad.gif ) and haven't kept up with my post.
So....
Miguel, I'll call you tomorrow.

welcome.png CGDerian, My TCV should be just over by my calculations. Unless they want to know about my engine mods smile.gif . But correct me if I'm wrong here, with the new class racing, our displacement shouldn't mean shit. I'll be in the B group. It's not like I want to cheat, but my car will be a mid packer. I imagine that you'll have a real track monster on your hands out there. Start another thread with your car driving.gif and quit lurking around. We'd love to see it.
MAYBE WE CAN DO A CHUMPCAR COTM CONTEST? beerchug.gif

George, are you going to update your build thread or are you keeping it a secret? Water-cooled! Your build will be a contender!!

T.C., your help would be much appreciated. I assume your not driving again? I wanted to mix it up with you again.

Thanks guys for the nice words on the car. It's not the best, but I've seen a lot worse. I'll start posting some pictures of odds and ends I've done over the years.

carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jul 17 2015, 09:12 PM) *

T.C., your help would be much appreciated. I assume your not driving again? I wanted to mix it up with you again.

Not this year - I'm having an Eye Operation in August. I've been racing Go-Karts Blind in one eye for 6 Months & Winning! But don't want to do that at Sebring. blink.gif
Mark Henry
Member andrew15 is also building a chump car, if you have the time you should try to connect with all the 914 guys you see and direct them here.
Jetsetsurfshop
Tires are here beer.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 18 2015, 05:05 AM) *

Member andrew15 is also building a chump car, if you have the time you should try to connect with all the 914 guys you see and direct them here.

Thanks Mark, I'll message him. I would like to see if there's anymore chump cars out there.
ThePaintedMan
Andrew's car is really cool - V6 Nissan engine and I bet it hauls. That being said, I've driven Shane's car and am looking forward to driving it again... it's freaking FAST, at least compared to mine.

The plan is to swap mine to the Suby SVX 3.3 motor for next year, retaining the 901. It's right on the verge of being able to handle the motor, but with the Chumpcar rules, you get penalized for changing anything from stock. I think it'll be a good fit though and power/weight should make it a blast to drive.

Then again, having the baby has put the brakes on just about everything at the moment. I was able to get the SVX donor car running very well, but I'm at a stand-still for the moment. Still, Shane's car is going to do well and we'll have fun as always.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jul 18 2015, 12:23 PM) *

Andrew's car is really cool - V6 Nissan engine and I bet it hauls. That being said, I've driven Shane's car and am looking forward to driving it again... it's freaking FAST, at least compared to mine.

The plan is to swap mine to the Suby SVX 3.3 motor for next year, retaining the 901. It's right on the verge of being able to handle the motor, but with the Chumpcar rules, you get penalized for changing anything from stock. I think it'll be a good fit though and power/weight should make it a blast to drive.

Then again, having the baby has put the brakes on just about everything at the moment. I was able to get the SVX donor car running very well, but I'm at a stand-still for the moment. Still, Shane's car is going to do well and we'll have fun as always.

I'll never understand how chump car will let you add the 3.3 sub, Andrew has a modern V6 and I can't put my 2.7 in there. It changes the car's basic value from $250 to $15000. So stupid. confused24.gif

Don't every think I didn't have fun in your car last year. Next year, maybe we can run two teeners.
Jetsetsurfshop
Lightened up the car today. Found all this trapped in rocker panels. blink.gif
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 18 2015, 06:32 AM) *

Not this year - I'm having an Eye Operation in August. I've been racing Go-Karts Blind in one eye for 6 Months & Winning! blink.gif

Update, I went to my Eye Dr and I no longer need Surgery - I've been cleared to Drive! driving.gif
Bill's Racing 914
How did you run the lines to the oil cooler? Did you run them outside along the tunnel behind the rocker panel or did you run them inside the cockpit?

If you ran them inside the cockpit, are they steel braided?

Also, check your windshield adhesive...my windshield popped out since the glue strips dry rotted. Cracked the windshield.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(Bill's Racing 914 @ Jul 26 2015, 12:41 PM) *

How did you run the lines to the oil cooler? Did you run them outside along the tunnel behind the rocker panel or did you run them inside the cockpit?

If you ran them inside the cockpit, are they steel braided?

Also, check your windshield adhesive...my windshield popped out since the glue strips dry rotted. Cracked the windshield.

Check post 4. I used braided line (-10 i think, can't remember). Ran both lines in the passengers side heater channel. This picture is the passenger footwell.

As far as the windshield go, you have me scared. I've run a lot of laps at the bumpiest track in the world and it didn't crack yet. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2015, 03:21 AM) *

Not this year - I'm having an Eye Operation in August. I've been racing Go-Karts Blind in one eye for 6 Months & Winning! blink.gif

Update, I went to my Eye Dr and I no longer need Surgery - I've been cleared to Drive! driving.gif

Congrats!! beer.gif Plan on renting a seat then? driving.gif
Bill's Racing 914
Read my thread "Broken windshield after roll cage install" several topics below yours to see what everyone else has to say. Lots of broken glass due to old glue. You won't know it is a problem till it happens to you. In fat, I was able to pop my windshield out just by slapping it a few times from the inside along the upper edge. Trim came off and everything.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=259122

I suggest you have yours reinstalled and then ad racing tabs...2 along the top and 2 along the bottom....to it just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the photo on the oil lines running through the passenger heater duct.....cool stuff.
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Jul 26 2015, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2015, 03:21 AM) *

Working on it!
carr914
[quote name='carr914' date='Jul 27 2015, 06:57 AM' post='2215285']
[quote name='Jetsetsurfshop' post='2215058' date='Jul 26 2015, 05:57 PM']
[quote name='carr914' post='2214835' date='Jul 26 2015, 03:21 AM']
[quote name='carr914' post='2211851' date='Jul 18 2015, 06:32 AM']
[quote name='Jetsetsurfshop' post='2211699' date='Jul 17 2015, 09:12 PM']

[/quote]

Working on it!
[/quote]

I will driving the "Kids Racing for Life" BMW. I will be driving with a another 914 Racer named Geoff Hanson from England. He bought the White HSR race car from me last year. I think he now has 3 914s, a 944 and a 300Zx - all race cars

Click to view attachment

ThePaintedMan
That's very cool TC! Sorry I haven't had a chance to call you or Shane back this weekend. Will do that today.

Glad to have you on track again! Hopefully I'll be able to do a little wheel-to-wheel with you this time.

Is that beemer an E30 or an E36? I drove an E30, which was a blast. The E36s look like a TON of fun. Funny - the owner said he "set it up" to oversteer... when I drove it, it pushed like I pig in the corners. Then again, being a 914 guy, everything understeers to me. happy11.gif
carr914
E30
Jetsetsurfshop
TC
How many on your team and whats your promised drive time?
Stoked your going to be out there again! We need to make sure you and George are in the same time slot. driving.gif
carr914
4 Drivers, so 3+ Hours to the Checkered Flag
andrew15
We just rolled in after the 12 hour race at Brainerd on the classic 3.1 mile Donnybrooke course

We almost made it a full 12 hours - our voltage regulator died and killed the battery with 6 minutes to go, but overall the car ran quite nicely. Once we sort a few minor issues, it should be quite competitive.

In the end, we came in 17th
Not great, but we didn't have a crew with us and all duties were shared by the 3 drivers - fueling, fire ex, driver swap, etc. Our pit changes were not the quickest smile.gif

We also had a bit of a fuel starvation issue - almost like the 044 pump wasn't getting fuel in spite of a surge tank.

We came back with a clean car - no accident damage or broken stuff even though each of us had a couple spins.

Things we learned:
- Lexan windshields suck at dusk
- Lexan rear windows may suck even more as you can't see anything through the rear view at dusk
- A 914 can spin like a top once you lose it
- An improperly routed surge tank can starve you car in long sweeping right handers
- An 18 gallon cell is of no use if you can only use 12 before starvation (see surge tank)
- We should probably try to get a practice day in or talk to locals before the race about brake, turn in points, etc
- While spinning can be fun, this wasn't the right time or place - we should probably try to fix that.

A big thanks to ChumpCar for arranging this event on the Donnybrooke circuit - to run a 12hr race on the same course as the 70's Can-Am cars is something we will never get to do again and we will treasure the experience.

AM
carr914
QUOTE(andrew15 @ Aug 17 2015, 05:46 PM) *

We just rolled in after the 12 hour race at Brainerd on the classic 3.1 mile Donnybrooke course

We almost made it a full 12 hours - our voltage regulator died and killed the battery with 6 minutes to go, but overall the car ran quite nicely. Once we sort a few minor issues, it should be quite competitive.

In the end, we came in 17th
Not great, but we didn't have a crew with us and all duties were shared by the 3 drivers - fueling, fire ex, driver swap, etc. Our pit changes were not the quickest smile.gif

We also had a bit of a fuel starvation issue - almost like the 044 pump wasn't getting fuel in spite of a surge tank.

We came back with a clean car - no accident damage or broken stuff even though each of us had a couple spins.

Things we learned:
- Lexan windshields suck at dusk
- Lexan rear windows may suck even more as you can't see anything through the rear view at dusk
- A 914 can spin like a top once you lose it
- An improperly routed surge tank can starve you car in long sweeping right handers
- An 18 gallon cell is of no use if you can only use 12 before starvation (see surge tank)
- We should probably try to get a practice day in or talk to locals before the race about brake, turn in points, etc
- While spinning can be fun, this wasn't the right time or place - we should probably try to fix that.

A big thanks to ChumpCar for arranging this event on the Donnybrooke circuit - to run a 12hr race on the same course as the 70's Can-Am cars is something we will never get to do again and we will treasure the experience.

AM

We need pictures or it never happened! biggrin.gif
carr914
Remember Rule #1, Don't hit the car in front of you!

Click to view attachment
andrew15
Getting to grid

andrew15
Interior with an aim dash from Matt R
The radio and dash cables are usually secured in front of the wheel, but we had just installed it to roll off the trailer
andrew15
Should probably work out a transaxle venting catch can smile.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 17 2015, 03:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Is that rule #2 also?
carr914
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Aug 17 2015, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Aug 17 2015, 03:11 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Is that rule #2 also?

Actually that is Rule Number 2. Rule Number #1 is Whatever is behind you, is of no importance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjGXn249Fc0
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(andrew15 @ Aug 17 2015, 03:45 PM) *

Interior with an aim dash from Matt R
The radio and dash cables are usually secured in front of the wheel, but we had just installed it to roll off the trailer

Very impressed!!! Sorted out nicely.
I've also had a few spins in my car. It swaps ends really quick! huh.gif
I'm always impressed when a great driver can "catch" the car and keep it from doing one.
Sorry to hear about your fuel issue. Its so tough to work on traffic and your line when your car is not cooperating. headbang.gif
At least everyone followed the big rule! DONT HIT SHIT
driving.gif
carr914
our BMW Art Car painted by "Kids Racing For Life" on display at Chateau Elan, Sebring International Raceway

Racing in 12 Days driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Jetsetsurfshop
Looks great. biggrin.gif
I hope they put a catch pan under her.
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2015, 08:52 PM) *

our BMW Art Car painted by "Kids Racing For Life" on display at Chateau Elan, Sebring International Raceway

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

24 Hours till the Green Flag!

See Ya in my Mirrors!
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 25 2015, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 14 2015, 08:52 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

24 Hours till the Green Flag!

See Ya in my Mirrors!

George and I will be closing on you fast!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.