Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Chump Car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
We all did Great! Out of a Hundred cars Shane's 914 (with George) finished 4th in class and 33 Overall. Our BMW (with my 914 buddy from England) overcame electrical problems that kept me in the Pits for a lot of the 1st 90 minutes of the race to finish 21st Overall!

It's quite an accomplishment to still be running at the end of a 14 Hour race, but Shane's 914 and both of our cars were still flyin!

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
ThePaintedMan
I had an absolute blast - possibly the best time I've had at a race so far. I was honored to race with Shane, Keith and the boys and just as happy to finally get a chance to hang out with TC during the race. All in all, I think all of us drove a great race in our own respect. It meant a lot to me after losing my dad last month, and I am humble and grateful to have gotten the chance to race this year at all. Thanks Shane, and thanks for keeping me positive TC.

Shane and TC got to dice it up together early on in the race, but TC's car was acting up. I have a strange suspicion that they would have been a great match for one another if it ran like it did for the rest of the day.

On a side note - I am SORE. I don't recall ever being this sore after driving, but I also don't feel like I've ever driven that hard before. Perhaps some of you more experienced guys can tell me - is it more common to feel like that if you've really been driving hard? My upper back, shoulders and arms feel like they did when I was playing football. Can't wait till Shane gets the GoPro stuff sorted through - should be some good video there.
carr914
George, you can easily be very sore after a race. A lot of it is the seat. When I race a Formula car, my arms and shoulders ache for days. The seat in our BMW must have been good for me as I feel good.
ThePaintedMan
Thanks TC. Yeah, Shane's seat was great. I think I just was using more muscle than I have in the past. I believe all of the other cars I have driven had power steering as well.

Also wanted to mention and thank Miguel (Seabird). He and I had a nice chat in pit lane and he went way out of his way to help us pack up. What a great group of guys we have here.
Jetsetsurfshop
driving.gif
Seabird
Yeah it happend! Here are some pics.

Cheers to the whole crew. beerchug.gif Its not an easy race to finish. Awesome work Shane!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Those are two I resized down for the web but there are a bunch more here in this dropbox folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y2qcr4i9oggmexr/...rEh6M-LxMa?dl=0

Enjoy!
Jetsetsurfshop
poke.gif
carr914
What the Hell are you doing in the grass?

Maybe avoiding me when I was having electrical issues!

Here is what happened right in front of me when I was limping it in! wacko.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nkGJ109oxw
carr914
Oh by the way, I broke a Tooth in that 1st Stint when the car was bucking from the electric going on & off.

Tooth Extraction & Bone Graft tomorrow! headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
carr914
The 914 Crew was well represented in the Sebring Newspaper!

Both George & I were quoted for the article! driving.gif

http://www.highlandstoday.com/hi/sports/ch...bring-20150923/
Jetsetsurfshop
Heres a picture on so items that we had go bad at chump.
I have a feeling that the sway bar bushing was removed by a black BMW in turn 1.
carr914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5KyGA546Fw
ThePaintedMan
Shane posted the video of my T1 spin. While I always believe there is blame to be shared on both ends of every incident, I honestly had no idea that guy was there. I wish he had not stayed so far to the inside on the front straight - he was in my blind spot the whole time. I think the whole pass was a bit optimistic, but I'm just glad everyone was okay - and Shane's car barely had a scratch on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBWL3_BdRQ
Jetsetsurfshop
Couple things.

I think this is when the rear sway bar bushing went by-by.

My car had almost no body damage, it looks like hit he the rear wheel when George already had the car at its limits of traction. Thats why the damage was so small.

The BMW front bumper got caught up in my 100mm rear studs. evilgrin.gif It was like a scene from Grease. Ripped it right off!!

As scary as the spin was, being stalled in turn 1, is worst. For those who haven't driven there, its a blind corner. I bet it helped a ton to have that bumper laying out on the track.

Besides this I put down what I thought was the best time of the day. Danny took a second off it and then George took a second off of that!!! Nothing like being whooped by others in my car.

I drive like a girl driving-girl.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Oct 2 2015, 09:20 AM) *

I drive like a girl driving-girl.gif

Acceptance is the first step to recovery. biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 2 2015, 08:40 AM) *

While I always believe there is blame to be shared on both ends of every incident, I honestly had no idea that guy was there.

I'd call that the other driver's fault.
The corner was yours and he stuck his nose where it didn't belong.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 1 2015, 07:20 PM) *

What a rag tag bunch of cars!
biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
Thanks Chris. Your validation is always important to me. Still, I could have done a better job with the mirrors.

It is indeed a rag tag bunch, but you would LOVE it Chris. Usually there is actually very little contact considering the huge variation in experience levels of the drivers. Some of the cars are scary fast too. A lot of good engineering around the paddock. One reason why the SCCA is looking hard into adopting a regional class to include some of them. I've even heard talks about wanting to buy out Chumpcar. On a safety level, the cars are scrutinized and prepped at an SCCA level, or even higher. I still say that we need to get you down here for a race sometime.

Shane, you're a great driver. Stop beating yourself up! Snapping off hot laps doesn't make me a better driver. I just wanted to see what the car could do. The time I lost with that spin makes any time I gained on my stint irrelevant anyway. When I get the telemetry digested though, we'll be able to compare sectors and individual corners to see what an ideal lap could look like if we combine everyone's best portions.

Chris - on a side note, your shifting improvements have absolutely transformed Shane's car. The firewall bushing and the linkage modifications really made it shift like butter. I am totally impressed.
carr914
George, that guy had a lot of speed on you (watched the mirrors from your Video), but that dive-bomb was never going anywhere but bad. Definately not your fault!
Jetsetsurfshop
[quote name='carr914' date='Sep 28 2015, 03:10 PM' post='2244537']
What the Hell are you doing in the grass?

Trying to make some room!!

Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01jM6bjGC8
Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fDqX4C87k
Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQkrmickbHU

Jetsetsurfshop
WTF.gif
Having youtube problems!
Jetsetsurfshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aard7YmAdsE

Jetsetsurfshop
I never mentioned really anything about how the car did over the 14 hours. Heres some of what happened to the car. smile.gif
First off, she survived all 14 hours. I did bring her in to the cold pits because we had a lower then normal oil pressure reading. My car normally reads 40 psi on the straits with 210 degrees temp. The pressure was at around 30 psi with the same temp. During pit stops the dipstick was reading full all morning, but with the accusump it's tough to get a accurate reading. (sometimes it was dumped, other times it wasn't) Our new rule is add oil ever other stop.
We did a lot of pit stops. To many to be competitive. We had five drivers and with rain in the forecast by midday I thought it would be best to get everyone some seat time before it poured. This was great for our first timers, but not a good race strategy. Four drivers and two hours stints is the way to go. Next time.
George got hit in turn one (video is posted on this thread) and did this really cool double 180 thing. Car stalled in maybe the worst part of the track. The fuel in the carbs gets all tossed around and floods it. The trick is to hold the petal 1/4 to 1/3 down and crank it. (glad I just installed one of those fancy starters) Those 10 seconds he sat there must have been something else. With all the rookies on the track... Well I know I would have needed a new suit.
Around mid-day the car started to misbehave. We had great power above 3500rpm. She sputtered badly below that. We blew the main jets out, no change. We made the decision to keep going. There was no knocking and since it still made power, why not. Len things we may have just lost our valve job. I just removed the engine and will be doing its tear down soon.
Overall, the car did 216 laps and over 800 miles in 14 hours. 33rd overall 4th in class. Needless to say, I was damn proud of my car and our team.
first.gif
Don't want to forget all the help from the 914 World Paddock Crew. There is no frickin way we would of finished with out you all! Thanks. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.