Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Prices on Porsche 3.0?
PotterPorsche
post Jul 22 2015, 12:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,628
Region Association: None

What are 3.0 long blocks Porsche flat 6 with unknown condition going for these days? I know the prices have been climbing. With a long block how much more should I calculate to complete the 914-6 conversion? I just hope I don't kick myself 5 years down the road . On that note does anyone have a 3.0 for sale? What should a first time buyer look for? If the engine turns over what's an acceptable leak down on the cylinders?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
smokey
post Jul 22 2015, 02:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,816

In o7 I bought a plug n play 3.2 from LA dismantlers for 6500 delivered .
They drove it up to Santa Cruz and dropped it in my garage . No cost . Today , call um. 3.2 is 9500/10000. Not delivered .most of the motors they sell have over a 100 K
Or even much more . But good quality . Why go 3.0 ? You know ?
3.0 ia a Great motor , but the 3.2 !!!!!! Holly shit ! Set up with a stock fuel injected ,the power to weight is just insane ! The 3.2 can be hot rodded out with the end resolt of a monster power plant . Find a SC , take it for a drive . Find a Carrera ,take it for a drive . U will find quite a diferent feal from the two motors . 3.2 is the motor Porsche built a future from . Carrera ,hands down .east the SC.
So with that . Don't put an SC motor in , go 3.2 . Fuel injected , motronic .chip it !
Very reliable .
I bought a 3.2 twin plug race motor ( running core ) last raced two years ago . 12,ooo.oo. The heads alone on a motor like that are very pricy . Look around for twin plug 3.2 Porsche heads . Can't find um ?

Hope that gives u a look at cost today .
San Jose
Mobile works west has a compleat plug n play for 9500.00
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 22 2015, 04:54 AM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

It depends.

A 3.0 that needs rebuilding is worth 2500. A 3.0 that needs a top end is worth 5000. A 3.0 that needs nothing is worth 8-9K.

A project /6 depends too. Make a full list of needs and go from there. I was in the market for a conversion /6 just before the prices hiked up a notch and ended up with a project car. Still working through the cost of the build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)

Regardless of value, you end up with a great car that Porsche should have built. What's that worth to you?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 22 2015, 04:59 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Conversion parts can be had 2nd hand, but you can price out the oil tank, 914/6 tin, 911 mount, wiring harness, oil lines, oil cooler, etc through Patrick Motorsports, and Rich Johnson.

Adding bigger brakes is a very good idea, 5 lug conversion, flares?, gauges, will be more. Better to find one done IMHO.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jul 22 2015, 07:42 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Those prices may be low, as 911 prices are going up through the roof lately.

I got a 3.0 core 5 years a ago and it cost me $2K.

I did all my own labour and machining, watched for deals, did some parts flipping etc. and I'm still into at least $15K.
I'd say $10-$11K is the engine alone, but it would be up around $20K-25K for the same spec pro-built.

Almost done if I get my ass in gear.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 22 2015, 07:52 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 22 2015, 06:42 AM) *

Those prices may be low, as 911 prices are going up through the roof lately.

I got a 3.0 core 5 years a ago and it cost me $2K.

I did all my own labour and machining, watched for deals, did some parts flipping etc. and I'm still into at least $15K.
I'd say $10-$11K is the engine alone, but it would be up around $20K-25K for the same spec pro-built.

Almost done if I get my ass in gear.

You are 100% correct. You need to get it into gear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

The low prices exclude machine work and are for the purchase only. Building a motor will cost you and that's the risk. Buy a mileage unknown 3.0 or 3.2 for 10k and then need a rebuild... Ouch!
+Quote Post
PotterPorsche
post Jul 22 2015, 11:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,628

This is great info . Thanks for the replies so far. I have a better understanding. I need to factor this all in.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:12 PM