Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prices on Porsche 3.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PotterPorsche
What are 3.0 long blocks Porsche flat 6 with unknown condition going for these days? I know the prices have been climbing. With a long block how much more should I calculate to complete the 914-6 conversion? I just hope I don't kick myself 5 years down the road . On that note does anyone have a 3.0 for sale? What should a first time buyer look for? If the engine turns over what's an acceptable leak down on the cylinders?
smokey
In o7 I bought a plug n play 3.2 from LA dismantlers for 6500 delivered .
They drove it up to Santa Cruz and dropped it in my garage . No cost . Today , call um. 3.2 is 9500/10000. Not delivered .most of the motors they sell have over a 100 K
Or even much more . But good quality . Why go 3.0 ? You know ?
3.0 ia a Great motor , but the 3.2 !!!!!! Holly shit ! Set up with a stock fuel injected ,the power to weight is just insane ! The 3.2 can be hot rodded out with the end resolt of a monster power plant . Find a SC , take it for a drive . Find a Carrera ,take it for a drive . U will find quite a diferent feal from the two motors . 3.2 is the motor Porsche built a future from . Carrera ,hands down .east the SC.
So with that . Don't put an SC motor in , go 3.2 . Fuel injected , motronic .chip it !
Very reliable .
I bought a 3.2 twin plug race motor ( running core ) last raced two years ago . 12,ooo.oo. The heads alone on a motor like that are very pricy . Look around for twin plug 3.2 Porsche heads . Can't find um ?

Hope that gives u a look at cost today .
San Jose
Mobile works west has a compleat plug n play for 9500.00
smoke.gif

EdwardBlume
It depends.

A 3.0 that needs rebuilding is worth 2500. A 3.0 that needs a top end is worth 5000. A 3.0 that needs nothing is worth 8-9K.

A project /6 depends too. Make a full list of needs and go from there. I was in the market for a conversion /6 just before the prices hiked up a notch and ended up with a project car. Still working through the cost of the build. evilgrin.gif

Regardless of value, you end up with a great car that Porsche should have built. What's that worth to you?
EdwardBlume
Conversion parts can be had 2nd hand, but you can price out the oil tank, 914/6 tin, 911 mount, wiring harness, oil lines, oil cooler, etc through Patrick Motorsports, and Rich Johnson.

Adding bigger brakes is a very good idea, 5 lug conversion, flares?, gauges, will be more. Better to find one done IMHO.
Mark Henry
Those prices may be low, as 911 prices are going up through the roof lately.

I got a 3.0 core 5 years a ago and it cost me $2K.

I did all my own labour and machining, watched for deals, did some parts flipping etc. and I'm still into at least $15K.
I'd say $10-$11K is the engine alone, but it would be up around $20K-25K for the same spec pro-built.

Almost done if I get my ass in gear.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 22 2015, 06:42 AM) *

Those prices may be low, as 911 prices are going up through the roof lately.

I got a 3.0 core 5 years a ago and it cost me $2K.

I did all my own labour and machining, watched for deals, did some parts flipping etc. and I'm still into at least $15K.
I'd say $10-$11K is the engine alone, but it would be up around $20K-25K for the same spec pro-built.

Almost done if I get my ass in gear.

You are 100% correct. You need to get it into gear. av-943.gif

The low prices exclude machine work and are for the purchase only. Building a motor will cost you and that's the risk. Buy a mileage unknown 3.0 or 3.2 for 10k and then need a rebuild... Ouch!
PotterPorsche
This is great info . Thanks for the replies so far. I have a better understanding. I need to factor this all in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.