Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 914-6 market, skyrocketing prices
somd914
post Jul 24 2015, 07:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 23 2015, 11:02 AM) *

For people wanting 914's, be they 4's or 6's, there just is no substitute. I am pretty sure most people playing here could afford a 911 if they wanted one and have made the decision to have a 914 instead.

I'm fortunate to have both. My teener is 2056 with a 911 front end. My Carrera is chipped, sport exhaust, and lowered bringing back up to par with its Euro brothers. I enjoy them both for separate reasons. If I had to choose one, I hate to say it I would likely go for the 911 - for me the 911 was a car I lusted over since the mid-70's when I started taking an interest in cars.

But would I go for an original six? Perhaps from a potential investment perspective, but not from a driving perspective. My 2056 offers as much or more in the power department, has a weight advantage, and with the 911 front end handling/braking is right up there. Best of all I can afford to drive and not worry about it.

But if I had to choose one based on nothing but driving pleasure, well, I'd sell them both and buy another Elise to keep my wife's Elise company in the garage - I know, I'm speaking blasphemy. But, the appeal of both 914 and 911 go beyond driving pleasure aspects - the history, nostalgia, and trips down memory lane attract me and don't see selling either of them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 25 2015, 12:33 AM
Post #22

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

While you're searching for that '6', you can always find a decent, affordable '4' to enjoy in the interim. You can do some amazing things with a T4 motor and not break the bank.

A lot of us would love to have a nice original 914-6. The sound of a good running carb'd flat '6' is pretty sweet, but I'm quite happy with a 2056. It may not have the pedigree, but it has more HP and torque than an original '6'. It's still a lot of fun to drive, maintenance is easier and I don't worry too much when I have to park it while out running daily errands.

I'll agree though - if there's something you truly desire in your life, and you keep it in you heart and mind, it's almost guaranteed that you'll achieve your goal.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Jul 25 2015, 04:34 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

The six market is no different than any market...it is driven by supply and demand. We know what the supply side looks like, it is the demand side that is harder to figure.

So the question is, what is the demand for the 1700 to 2000 (my quesstimate) sixes that are left??? If there are more than 2000 people out there that just have to have a six (because they are nostalgically attached, or because they lust for the sound of the six working behind them, or they are drawn to the engineering, or because they need one for their collection, or because they think it is a great investment), Then the price will go up. If there are less than the 2000 six wanters, the prices will flatten and ultimately recede.

It is my opinion that we are some what near the balance point right now, the supply is just about meeting the demand.

The two factors that could increase the demand (IMHO) are a change in the Euro exchange rate and a boost in the lust factor (Magnus, are you out there??).

I also suspect that the early 911 in in a very similar circumstance.... all of those who really want them and can afford them, have them.

(except for the VERY special cars) .
+Quote Post
somd914
post Jul 25 2015, 04:46 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,741

Not Porsche, but related... A friend with an '89 Testerossa sent me this.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/201...-investor-favor
+Quote Post
laflaur
post Jul 25 2015, 08:31 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,186
Region Association: Northern California

Interesting discussion, I have been thinking of selling my car and I was thinking of asking 30k for it. In my mind a non numbers matching car, even a factory six, is only worth slightly more than a well done conversion. An original matching numbers car is another story, those will be the high dollar cars of the future. Mine is great fun to drive and I love it, but as I get older, I find myself looking at Caymans....
+Quote Post
Annapolis914
post Jul 25 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 18,782

Going back to supply / demand - there are not enough 914-6's available to meet demand. I am not sure there are enough driver quality 914's of any model to meet coming demand. This is why prices have gone up and will continue for the next 10-15 years. Aging "Boomers" will buy classics, including 914's.......all years and models. All marketing data supports that they will spend on whatever they want to own, unlike prior generation, and they want the Porsche brand. Porsche knows this and has shifted their business model slightly to better support classics and generate revenue in this channel.

Not saying it is good or not good, but this is the trend for the foreseeable future.

Have owned other Porsche vehicles in the past, being a newbie 914 owner has given me a true appreciation for the look and feel of this funky car. Just wish I had purchased earlier.
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Jul 25 2015, 08:48 AM
Post #27

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

This is why I'm not even considering selling my 911, I wouldn't be able to afford another longhood anytime soon. I'm lucky to have bought it 15 years ago when they were still cheaper.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Jul 25 2015, 08:49 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jul 24 2015, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 24 2015, 08:30 AM) *

So, I guess in the end it just hurts for me personally to come to terms with an original six being no longer in the cards.

Honestly, it's what Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right".

If you want an original six, make a plan, think about it night and day, modify as necessary, be positive, know that you already own it (it just hasn't arrived yet), and you'll get one. The money, the car, and the opportunity will line up. It may take years, but it will.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I always wanted a six. My wife always wanted a 356. When we were at the Amelia Island concours this past March, as we looked out at all the 356s I reminded her that she always wanted a 356. She quickly reminded me that we have 6 kids and the ship sailed long ago on a 356 being "affordable." At least for our family. We then turned around and noted that every 914 in the concours was a six. We decided that it was time to buy one or we eventually wouldn't be able to afford one (just like the 356). As it turned out we found a car. In my opinion, it redefines "rough." But, its a six. We bought it while we could. If you look enough you can find them. I know of a couple others. They are out there. if you want one bad enough, you can find one that is "affordable." Just be prepared for a long, expensive, restoration.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 25 2015, 09:09 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(laflaur @ Jul 25 2015, 07:31 AM) *
... but as I get older, I find myself looking at Caymans....
As our US dollar devalues and taxes increase, I find myself looking at the Caymans too ... the Islands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jul 25 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

I guess, I should get my ducks in a row sooner rather than later to at least find something, because the prices seem to be rising fast on all models. Seeing junkers sitting in fields with people wanting $2K for the rusted out shell on craigslist is freaking me out.

The reason I need to wait until spring is because that's when my daily driver is paid off, I figured then I could start looking for something fun to drive on weekends.

Not sure if my wife would like a project car taking up space in the garage, but it would be fun (but expensive) to go through the restoration process...

I'm not a man of many means, so paying more than $15K for a fun weekend car just doesn't make sense. I'm not looking for an investment, I just want the experience, and I want the mid engine experience. In all honesty, I'd settle for a 1.7L, a 1.8., or a 2.0L. When it comes down to it, I just want a nice fun little 914.

Of course, I may not even fit in one and all of this could be for nothing, lol.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 25 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 25 2015, 09:51 AM) *
I guess, I should get my ducks in a row sooner rather than later to at least find something, because the prices seem to be rising fast on all models. Seeing junkers sitting in fields with people wanting $2K for the rusted out shell on craigslist is freaking me out.

The reason I need to wait until spring is because that's when my daily driver is paid off, I figured then I could start looking for something fun to drive on weekends.

Not sure if my wife would like a project car taking up space in the garage, but it would be fun (but expensive) to go through the restoration process...

I'm not a man of many means, so paying more than $15K for a fun weekend car just doesn't make sense. I'm not looking for an investment, I just want the experience, and I want the mid engine experience. In all honesty, I'd settle for a 1.7L, a 1.8., or a 2.0L. When it comes down to it, I just want a nice fun little 914.

Dude, $15k (or less) will buy you a really nice well sorted car with a 2.0L or possibly a 2056 (or even bigger) - and ready to drive away. You might even be able to find a decent 6 conversion for $15k ... you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

As for fitting in it, there are guys over 6' that fit just fine ... I'll let them chime in on that subject ... I'm only 5'6" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Jul 25 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2015, 08:42 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jul 25 2015, 09:51 AM) *

Dude, $15k (or less) will buy you a really nice well sorted car with a 2.0L or possibly a 2056 (or even bigger) - and ready to drive away. You might even be able to find a decent 6 conversion for $15k ... you just have to be at the right place at the right time.

As for fitting in it, there are guys over 6' that fit just fine ... I'll let them chime in on that subject ... I'm only 5'6" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'm 6' 2" with a longer torso than normal. These cars can fit taller guys.
Steering wheel might be a bit large and bother your leg/gearshift position, so a smaller wheel might be an idea. Mine is stock and I only noticed it after 2 years because somebody here commented.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 10:34 AM