Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying 914's ain't what is used to be, A new twist for me
914Sixer
post Jul 25 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

You all know the drill, find the car, make the call and go see it. The seller in question is a little strange on the phone but I made arrangements to drive 50 miles to go see a "CLEAN" car. He said he would be at the location at 4 pm until 6 pm. Got there early and looked at the car and said it would take it. He goes, you will have to bid on it, there are other people coming to look at the two cars.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) He had stated what the price was in the ad and I had the cash in hand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I said I was not bidding and left.

This certainly was a new twist for me!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Jul 25 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,510
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 25 2015, 06:30 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

What a jerk. It was probably a pile underneath anyway! Move on!
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 25 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Not surprising. When his phone rang continuously he prob figured he wasn't asking enough for the car. I went thru a similar situation only to find that it was going to be an auction after I got there.
+Quote Post
mikedsilva
post Jul 25 2015, 07:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,462
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Gents, this is the exact situation we are seeing here in Australia for the sale of aircooled 911... Most of the sellers are genuinely listing their car for a price, but when they get 50 phone calls with people offering higher amounts sight unseen, I can imagine it would twist them inside out...
No one wants to sell something for half of what they can originally get, but I guess it depends on how they go about it too..

Good luck in the search.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jul 25 2015, 09:42 PM
Post #6

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

All they have to do is start at a higher price and work down until the phone starts ringing.

I'll start with mine: 1974 2.0L Alaska Blue Metallic. Good chassis needing some minor hell hole repair. Runs great, but currently half the car is torn apart in my garage. $50,000 or best offer.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 25 2015, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Either that, or he's pulling his own shill tactic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I've been in those kind of situations before too - and walked away pissed off. The seller is just another jerk. Hopefully it's not your dream car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Had a reverse situation too. Several years ago, I made an appointment to go look at a bike (Honda CBR) and spoke with the girl who was selling it at 10 am. The ad had numerous good pix and the bike had extremely low mileage, so I agreed to the price (sight unseen) and told her it would take me two hours to get there. I drove up with the cash and when I arrived at noon, it was gone! ... she sold it an hour before I got there and didn't bother to even call me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

When I asked why - she said she wasn't sure if I was coming or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 25 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

that sucks....if you found it on craigslist I'd flag his ad and make another ad calling him out for that practice to warn others!

+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jul 25 2015, 11:08 PM
Post #9

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Had a similar event a few years ago. Told the guy I would buy the parts car, what time I would be there, confirmed when I am 15 minutes away and when I get there I find a person I knew had bought the car and was loading it up. Let the guy know what a jerk he was in no uncertain terms. Hope karma bites him in the butt.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Sedonut
post Jul 26 2015, 12:40 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,367
Region Association: Southwest Region

That is buying cars. Many years ago I was looking at a 914-6. It was an hour and a half away. 3 hour drive round trip. I asked the seller if it had ever been in an accident, he said no. I asked him again, had it ever been damaged, he said no.

I get there, the car had been cut down the middle, they grafted a front end from another car. I really, really wanted to punch him. He said, well, neither half had been wrecked.

Lots of assholes out there. Lots of good people too. It's just hard to completely avoid the assholes.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 26 2015, 02:55 AM
Post #11

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

So he was telling half truths then? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jul 26 2015, 03:19 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Sedonut @ Jul 26 2015, 02:40 AM) *

That is buying cars. Many years ago I was looking at a 914-6. It was an hour and a half away. 3 hour drive round trip. I asked the seller if it had ever been in an accident, he said no. I asked him again, had it ever been damaged, he said no.

I get there, the car had been cut down the middle, they grafted a front end from another car. I really, really wanted to punch him. He said, well, neither half had been wrecked.

Lots of assholes out there. Lots of good people too. It's just hard to completely avoid the assholes.

Neither half had been wrecked. Hey that makes sense.......to him! What an idiot!
+Quote Post
somd914
post Jul 26 2015, 05:09 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Had this happen with trying to buy a boat - three buyers showed up at the same time... We walked away - wasn't going to play that game.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jul 26 2015, 05:36 AM
Post #14

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Same thing with my nephew a few years ago in Loudon County in Virginia when looking to buy a relatively newer house; told the realtor to make an offer of X - $10k.

Realtor called back and said price is now X + $5k because there are other buyers. He ended up getting the house at X + $15k.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 26 2015, 05:57 AM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 25 2015, 09:05 PM) *

Either that, or he's pulling his own shill tactic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I've been in those kind of situations before too - and walked away pissed off. The seller is just another jerk. Hopefully it's not your dream car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Had a reverse situation too. Several years ago, I made an appointment to go look at a bike (Honda CBR) and spoke with the girl who was selling it at 10 am. The ad had numerous good pix and the bike had extremely low mileage, so I agreed to the price (sight unseen) and told her it would take me two hours to get there. I drove up with the cash and when I arrived at noon, it was gone! ... she sold it an hour before I got there and didn't bother to even call me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

When I asked why - she said she wasn't sure if I was coming or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

This happened to me about 15 years ago as well. I agreed on price on the phone, set up a time to comes out, drove out there, saw the car, and was told it was already sold. The 2nd person they talked to offered them $500 more vs the asking price. Good for the 2nd person though!
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 26 2015, 09:17 AM
Post #16

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

As others have said, it has happened to me too many times to count.

First incident:
1988 - a seller had a one owner 1971 XKE for sale. Called the owner at 9:00 pm and said I would be there in the morning as soon as the bank opened. Drove over with cash and some dealer was loading the car. Seller said the guy claimed to be me!
(Seller said are you Bill?... Guy said Yes). Seller was pissed but he had already signed over the title. Dealer heard us talking and just gave me a sh!t eating grin. Saw that car for sale in Hemmings a couple months later for almost twice the selling price (this was pre-internet for you youngsters...lol) Karma is a bitch...dealer was killed in a car wreck about a year later. Fvck him.

1994 - seller had a Maserati 3500. Had always wanted one. Made plans to drive to see it that day (remembered my previous experience). Drove 2 hours to see it....guy said he "forgot" that I was coming and sold it 30 minutes earlier

Multiple similar stories on less expensive cars

Most recent - Saw a craigslist ad for a '69 911. Price was good (but not that great). Drove to see it with the intention of leaving a large deposit while I transferred the rest of the money if it checked out. Saw the car, was ready to buy and the guy says he was taking bids and I would have to give a $1000 refundable deposit to bid! Said no thanks and walked...

+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 26 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Just a thought. If a car/part was listed for $1000 OBO we typical think oh I could get it for probably 800. OBO could mean higher than 1k...
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 26 2015, 09:45 AM
Post #18

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

I took some major shi t here for not allowing test drives and
Only inspecting the car where it is

But my price was my price

If people wanna auction off their cars ,maybe an auction is the place for that or eBay

And I always thought buying a car was a first come with the money
First serve but lately I see tons of cars priced thousands over blue book.

When I point that out to sellers and say I'm not paying 1500 extra cause your a nice guy
They get all pissed off

And then there's the ole

Blue book is always lower then actual value

Or

Honda's are worth 1200 over book value cause it's a Honda

Or

I just fixed the ,ac and alternator so I need to get back that money in addition to k b b value

This is stuff I've actually heard from people

I ask em where did you come up with the price your asking
From off the top of your head.cause this 10 year old car is really worth x
People get really offended

But this is modern cars I'm talking

When you start talking aircooled of classic cars then
There is no blue book value and stuff does get weird but

Like this car will just go up in value so I want 3 times what it's worth today .

" Marcellus Wallace "

The world is filled to the brim with unrealistic mother fucckers .
Mother fucckerss who thought their ass would age like wine ."
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 26 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #19

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5138969109.html

Like this s#it I forbid anyone to pay 5 k

For this .

Unless you dreamed your whole life of owning a
Old Honda civic

If its your dream car go ahead and pay the 5 k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 26 2015, 10:14 AM
Post #20

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The undisclosed auction thing is a pita.
Others Sellers are a pleasure with to do business
It's a numbers game.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 10:45 PM