Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Buying 914's ain't what is used to be, A new twist for me
914Sixer
post Jul 25 2015, 05:59 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

You all know the drill, find the car, make the call and go see it. The seller in question is a little strange on the phone but I made arrangements to drive 50 miles to go see a "CLEAN" car. He said he would be at the location at 4 pm until 6 pm. Got there early and looked at the car and said it would take it. He goes, you will have to bid on it, there are other people coming to look at the two cars.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) He had stated what the price was in the ad and I had the cash in hand. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I said I was not bidding and left.

This certainly was a new twist for me!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 54)
AndyB
post Jul 27 2015, 03:31 PM
Post #41

The Governor is watching me

Member No.: 11,595
Region Association: North East States

I had a similar experience when I Craig listed my Harley Davidson. I set my price below KBB and said or best offer. Very first caller said he would take it for what I asked. As the calls kept coming in I kept explaining that I already have a buyer but I would be more then happy to put them on the list. I was called many things which doesn't phase me one bit. But what actually bothered me was being cussed out by a guy that wanted to go 1K over my asking price. I said no, he wasn't happy and I really didn't care. Integrity is rare these days.
Andy
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 27 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #42

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DirtyCossack @ Jul 27 2015, 04:57 PM) *

I once sold a bug to a guy that drove 6-8 hours both ways, guy agreed to my $1500 price sight unseen. While he was driving another guy offered me $2000 and I wouldn't do it. At the time $500 was a week's pay, but there is no way I would do that to someone.

Another time 3 guys showed up within 15 minutes of each other and got in a bidding war with each other for a motorcycle I was selling. I stopped them and sold it for asking price to the first guy who showed up (maybe 5 minutes before the next guy).

I think a little integrity goes a long way.

This brings up the other side of the story.... To me, a deposit trumps everything. Our policy was: if we agree on a deal, a deposit will hold the car for the mutually agreed upon time, no matter what. We immediately put a "Sale Pending" sign on it. However, the deposit was refundable ONLY IF the car was not as described...i.e. if you just got cold feet or your wife found out and said NO WAY, then we kept the deposit. (unless you called us before we even got the check, then I would either return it or tear it up). If we are holding it and effectively taking it off the market, we need SOME protection.

It all comes down to mutually agreed upon communication and the integrity to follow through what you agreed upon. Every situation is different, but doing 'the right thing' is usually pretty obvious...
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 27 2015, 07:16 PM
Post #43

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 27 2015, 05:36 AM) *
... I drove up early in the morning with a cashiers check for the balance, only to see the car leaving his neighborhood on a trailer and finding out he sold it to someone else!!! I said "but we have a signed bill of sale and I sent you a check" He said 'sorry, this other guy gave me more" obviously I wanted my check back, to which he said he never got it but it was a cashiers check so I couldn't stop payment, I started to argue more and he pulled out a gun and said 'get off my property or I'll shoot you!!!" He then called the cops while I was standing there saying I was harassing him. I wanted to wait for the cops to come to explain, but it seemed obvious he knew the cops personally... so I left and lost the $500.
Hopefully you took the guy to small claims court to recoup the $500., if nothing else.

I don't know how bad the argument escalated, so I can't comment on that issue, but it sounds like you had a legitimate paper trail, and if the cashier's check was cashed or deposited to his account, he committed fraud, in addition to brandishing a weapon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 27 2015, 08:21 PM
Post #44

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jul 27 2015, 08:51 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 26 2015, 11:45 AM) *

I took some major shi t here for not allowing test drives and
Only inspecting the car where it is

But my price was my price

I certainly would not buy a car from someone who refused to allow a test drive. Even the Ferrari dealer nearby will allow test drives so I would think the seller was definitely trying to hide something.

When I bought my 914 it was across the country. Even in that case, I arranged for a knowledgeable Porsche friend to go take a look and drive. His telling me that it was without question the nicest, most original, 914 he had ever seen sealed the deal.

Funny thing is that I will bet that you set a double standard and that YOU would never BUY a car where the seller refused to allow you to test drive it.

Double standard , No ,Fuck No

First off I was more then willing to take potential buyers for a ride with me driving

And when I bought the car ,the po
Took me for a ride ,went thru all the gears ,demonstrated
The brakes etc

And is one of the nicest 914 around and a joy to own and drive

But I'm sure you meant no offense
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 28 2015, 05:45 AM
Post #45

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 27 2015, 09:16 PM) *

... I drove up early in the morning with a cashiers check for the balance, only to see the car leaving his neighborhood on a trailer and finding out he sold it to someone else!!! I said "but we have a signed bill of sale and I sent you a check" He said 'sorry, this other guy gave me more" obviously I wanted my check back, to which he said he never got it but it was a cashiers check so I couldn't stop payment, I started to argue more and he pulled out a gun and said 'get off my property or I'll shoot you!!!" He then called the cops while I was standing there saying I was harassing him. I wanted to wait for the cops to come to explain, but it seemed obvious he knew the cops personally... so I left and lost the $500.
Hopefully you took the guy to small claims court to recoup the $500., if nothing else.

I don't know how bad the argument escalated, so I can't comment on that issue, but it sounds like you had a legitimate paper trail, and if the cashier's check was cashed or deposited to his account, he committed fraud, in addition to brandishing a weapon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Being 7 hours and a few states away, it would have taken way too much effort and cost way too much to deal with. Plus, I'm sure he would have brought all his neighbors in to back up his innocence at least as far as the gun goes...remember I was just some "vulture car dealer"....
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Jul 28 2015, 01:16 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 28 2015, 04:45 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 27 2015, 09:16 PM) *

Being 7 hours and a few states away, it would have taken way too much effort and cost way too much to deal with. Plus, I'm sure he would have brought all his neighbors in to back up his innocence at least as far as the gun goes...remember I was just some "vulture car dealer"....

I saw your website and I thought you couldn't make 914 s into competitive race cars ,guess I was mistaken

And aren't cars supposed to have women's names ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 28 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #47

Losing my mind...

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 28 2015, 03:16 PM) *

I saw your website and I thought you couldn't make 914 s into competitive race cars ,guess I was mistaken

And aren't cars supposed to have women's names ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

I think I'll take that first comment as a compliment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, supposedly. But our 'kids' aren't nice and well behaved like a lady - they are loud, aggressive, get into trouble, and can take a beating then fight back. More like adolescent boys...

I can tell you this though, Papa Smurf really SHOULD be a woman - cranky, bitchy, moody, VERY high maintenance, argumentative and extremely stubborn. He's an absolute joy and pleasure to be around when all is good. But when things aren't to his liking..watch out!!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 28 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #48

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 28 2015, 12:16 PM) *
... And aren't cars supposed to have women's names ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
We only named two of ours - mine, the "Black Bastard" (non-gender) aka: the 'BB' (to be PC) - because the car had been totally bastardized by at least one PO ...

... and then there's my wife's 914, "Howard" (or "Howie" for short). I guess women typically name their cars after men (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Now that I think about it, we never named a 911 or a 912 ... or for that matter, none of our other vehicles, except for our Westy camper van ("Eileen") (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Too bad about your $500. loss, Bob - I would have figured a way to write it off on my income taxes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
naro914
post Jul 28 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #49

Losing my mind...

oh we did...that was long ago...and like I said, the MOST stand out of the PITA dealings we had...we had MANY, MANY more, but not that bad.

Our worst from a money standpoint was for a car we were going to buy. My biz partner talked to the guy for over a week, got pictures, details, everything, agreed on a deal and mailed a $2000 deposit (it was a $30k, car). A week later we sent a truck up to pick it up, only to find out that the place, guy and everything didn't exist. We got scammed.

After that, we always found someone to put eyes (and hands preferably on the car before we committed to anything. Lesson learned...
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 28 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 18,667
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I guess I got lucky when I bought my 914. I'm in MD and the seller is in OH. Talked on the phone a few times, he emailed me pics and we even did a facetime walk around the car. We agreed on a price and I offered to send him a deposit. He said that wasn't necessary, that my word was good enough. Drove out there a week-and-a-half later, the car was as described, we concluded the deal for the agreed price, and I drove the car back home without a problem. Well, we did have one problem -- the water pump on my wife's car gave out less than 10 miles from home on the way back. The 914 did fine.
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 18 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #51

Just reviving this thread as I recently found my self selling a used car

My asking price is about 300 more then pick a parts has offered me and 75.less then I paid before the accident

I m telling perspective buyers that I'd rather see the truck fixed and back on the road as opposed
To wasting away in the scrap yard ,which is true

Have had several interested buyers contact me .

I would like to get the highest price but am leaning towards whomever comes to me with the money first since I want this truck gone asap

But just thought I'd take everyone s pulse here .

Comments please

+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 18 2015, 08:12 PM
Post #52

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5225518130.html
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Sep 18 2015, 08:23 PM
Post #53

So far highest offer is 1050

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/5225518130.html
+Quote Post
rvanderpyl
post Sep 18 2015, 08:32 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 14,726
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 26 2015, 05:36 AM) *

Same thing with my nephew a few years ago in Loudon County in Virginia when looking to buy a relatively newer house; told the realtor to make an offer of X - $10k.

Realtor called back and said price is now X + $5k because there are other buyers. He ended up getting the house at X + $15k.

Naw, houses are not the same. An offer is exactly that, the seller can take it or leave it. If they accepted the offer, then try to come back with a higher price, then no way, but in your nephews case, he didn't even offer them what they were asking, so they turn it down and he has to try again, if he stills wants the house.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 18 2015, 09:26 PM
Post #55

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jul 26 2015, 08:45 AM) *

I took some major shi t here for not allowing test drives and
Only inspecting the car where it is

Interesting. The only time I was ever in a situation like that (trying to buy my first 914!) I got a bad feeling from the guy. It seemed pretty sketchy that he wouldn't let me drive it at all, so I walked. His loss, I think.

Though the "Hondas are worth more than blue book because they're Hondas" just makes me say (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) . And I say this as someone who grew up in a house with (at various times) a Civic and a couple of Accords, and having owned some Accords and a couple of CRXes myself. (Sold the last CRX for rather less than I thought it was worth because I could tell it was going to a good home. I was wrong--it went to a super amazingly good home!)

--DD
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:06 PM