Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Plasti dip, Paint selection
cali914
post Jul 27 2015, 10:24 PM
Post #1

cali914

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Thinking about painting my car Matte Grey, has anyone used plastidip paint? and what do you think about it? Thanks Harry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Jul 27 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

You can't get it in California in gallon sizes anymore. You would have to go through a pro shop or smuggle it across the boarder.

Easy to apply and if you take your time looks decent. It's a pain to remove though and easy to get dust stuck between layers. You have to apply like 7 layers to make it rugged enough for daily use.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jul 27 2015, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

I just ordered a wheel kit of Anthracite Gray.
I plan on doing 4 steelies with it.
Ill post results in a few days.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.dipyourcar.com-10819-1438061075.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 27 2015, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

The real issue is cleaning when dirty. Rub too hard and you will peel parts off. I have not cleaned my wheels since a respray for fear. The last time (grey) I rubbed too hard and exposed the chrome finish below. I then tried to peel all of it off and it was, apparently installed for too long. I had to power wash it off and during that process peeled the chrome off my wheels with my power washer. The instructions say it's difficult to peel after 3 months. I'm going to try to clean with a squirt bottle and mild detergent and see if it works. I would not paint a car with this stuff as the finish is too fragile. I also did my targa trim in grey and it looks like shit now. Every little nick shows bad.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
john77
post Jul 27 2015, 11:48 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

Did my front wheels over 12 months ago (still haven't got around to doing the back... ). It's held up really well. The trick is to do a couple of light coats for coverage and then a couple of thick - from my experience, the thicker you put it on, the easy it is to peel off when the time comes.

I used black and then I put on about 4 coats of the clearcoat they sell. Can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it gives the matte a semi-gloss finish. Can't really speak to the problem of dirt as they're black, but I've jet washed them a couple of times now with no problems.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 28 2015, 02:13 AM
Post #6

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I wonder how well the clear by itself holds up over freshly bead-blasted wheels? Has anyone done this yet?
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 28 2015, 05:14 AM
Post #7

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

I did mine for last winter, this is satin black.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jul 28 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Did the top of the 07 Highlander in white when the clear coat started flaking off. Also did a hood protector on the Pathy just to hide 20 years of rock chips. About a year now it's still on there. Doesn't clean all that well compared to smooth paint but it's better than old paint. Ended up with 6 coats or so. Used spray cans from Lowes.

The white is thin. Did as recommended and did 2 coats of grey first to get a grippy surface, then 4 lite coats of white to avoid runs.

I think Bellis didn't do enough coats. It needs to be fairly thick to do it's thing.

Spray cans streak, I wouldn't do a whole car with them.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Jul 28 2015, 05:52 PM
Post #9

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 28 2015, 04:13 AM) *

I wonder how well the clear by itself holds up over freshly bead-blasted wheels? Has anyone done this yet?

I shot the front end of my Subaru with Eastwood's clear Elastiwrap last fall for a winter bra. It stayed put pretty well and did what I wanted for winter protection.
I don't think it would hold up on wheels though. It did slowly get grungy after a 4000 mile cross country winter drive, but I applied it thick enough that it peeled off easily in the spring.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 28 2015, 06:18 PM
Post #10

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 28 2015, 03:16 PM) *

I think Bellis didn't do enough coats. It needs to be fairly thick to do it's thing.

I followed the instructions exactly as written. I had the grey on there for 6 months until I wanted to change. The issue is the paint becomes slightly brittle and breaks into small pieces after baking on the car for months. When new. it peeled great. I even over sprayed on the tires and the whole thing peeled off as one piece. After months on the car, it will not peel off as one piece. Power washing was the quickest way to get it off.

Don't believe me? try to peel your roof off.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:43 PM