Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plasti dip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cali914
Thinking about painting my car Matte Grey, has anyone used plastidip paint? and what do you think about it? Thanks Harry stirthepot.gif
matthepcat
You can't get it in California in gallon sizes anymore. You would have to go through a pro shop or smuggle it across the boarder.

Easy to apply and if you take your time looks decent. It's a pain to remove though and easy to get dust stuck between layers. You have to apply like 7 layers to make it rugged enough for daily use.
stugray
I just ordered a wheel kit of Anthracite Gray.
I plan on doing 4 steelies with it.
Ill post results in a few days.

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
The real issue is cleaning when dirty. Rub too hard and you will peel parts off. I have not cleaned my wheels since a respray for fear. The last time (grey) I rubbed too hard and exposed the chrome finish below. I then tried to peel all of it off and it was, apparently installed for too long. I had to power wash it off and during that process peeled the chrome off my wheels with my power washer. The instructions say it's difficult to peel after 3 months. I'm going to try to clean with a squirt bottle and mild detergent and see if it works. I would not paint a car with this stuff as the finish is too fragile. I also did my targa trim in grey and it looks like shit now. Every little nick shows bad.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
john77
Did my front wheels over 12 months ago (still haven't got around to doing the back... ). It's held up really well. The trick is to do a couple of light coats for coverage and then a couple of thick - from my experience, the thicker you put it on, the easy it is to peel off when the time comes.

I used black and then I put on about 4 coats of the clearcoat they sell. Can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it gives the matte a semi-gloss finish. Can't really speak to the problem of dirt as they're black, but I've jet washed them a couple of times now with no problems.
euro911
I wonder how well the clear by itself holds up over freshly bead-blasted wheels? Has anyone done this yet?
dudzy's914
I did mine for last winter, this is satin black.
Chris914n6
Did the top of the 07 Highlander in white when the clear coat started flaking off. Also did a hood protector on the Pathy just to hide 20 years of rock chips. About a year now it's still on there. Doesn't clean all that well compared to smooth paint but it's better than old paint. Ended up with 6 coats or so. Used spray cans from Lowes.

The white is thin. Did as recommended and did 2 coats of grey first to get a grippy surface, then 4 lite coats of white to avoid runs.

I think Bellis didn't do enough coats. It needs to be fairly thick to do it's thing.

Spray cans streak, I wouldn't do a whole car with them.
okieflyr
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 28 2015, 04:13 AM) *

I wonder how well the clear by itself holds up over freshly bead-blasted wheels? Has anyone done this yet?

I shot the front end of my Subaru with Eastwood's clear Elastiwrap last fall for a winter bra. It stayed put pretty well and did what I wanted for winter protection.
I don't think it would hold up on wheels though. It did slowly get grungy after a 4000 mile cross country winter drive, but I applied it thick enough that it peeled off easily in the spring.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 28 2015, 03:16 PM) *

I think Bellis didn't do enough coats. It needs to be fairly thick to do it's thing.

I followed the instructions exactly as written. I had the grey on there for 6 months until I wanted to change. The issue is the paint becomes slightly brittle and breaks into small pieces after baking on the car for months. When new. it peeled great. I even over sprayed on the tires and the whole thing peeled off as one piece. After months on the car, it will not peel off as one piece. Power washing was the quickest way to get it off.

Don't believe me? try to peel your roof off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.