Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Driving light switch color?
Blue6
post Jul 30 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,470
Region Association: Southern California

Found in my box of goodies a driving/ fog light switch which looks new. Anyway it's an ugly kinda faded orange looking color. Is this for early or late cars? Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post Jul 31 2015, 12:13 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I differ with some replies above, as I've done a lot of research on this for my early 73 2L's resto, & the "Amber" is 74 - 76 & Green is 70 - 73, with some mixing in the late 73 & early 74 cars when both were in the parts bin. Same switch component - just a different bezel insert AFAIK.

p914.com has excellent info on this sort of what MY stuff folks, but nothing on the fog light switch AFAIK.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 1 2015, 06:31 AM
Post #3

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 31 2015, 02:13 AM) *

I differ with some replies above, as I've done a lot of research on this for my early 73 2L's resto, & the "Amber" is 74 - 76 & Green is 70 - 73, with some mixing in the late 73 & early 74 cars when both were in the parts bin. Same switch component - just a different bezel insert AFAIK.

p914.com has excellent info on this sort of what MY stuff folks, but nothing on the fog light switch AFAIK.

Tom
///////

Bingo except it wasn't "some mixing" it was a common place event at the factory.
VW didn't care, what ever was still in the bin got used in many cases. VW mid year changes were always because they had too many parts left over.
This happened right from the 1940's till likely the time supply became automated.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Aug 1 2015, 02:20 PM
Post #4

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 1 2015, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 31 2015, 02:13 AM) *

Tom
///////

Bingo except it wasn't "some mixing" it was a common place event at the factory.
VW didn't care, what ever was still in the bin got used in many cases. VW mid year changes were always because they had too many parts left over.
This happened right from the 1940's till likely the time supply became automated.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

There was another aspect of color mixing going on too--the amber switches sometimes had a green translucent diffuser behind the amber lens . . .

Attached Image

Maybe VW did that to decrease the illuminated switch's reflection in the windshield? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:25 AM