Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 928 vs Porsche 914, The good, the bad, and the ugly
ninefourteener
post Feb 28 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #1

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 779

As many of you know, my roots are in early 70's and 80's GM muscle cars. Before the two 914s I've owned, I had a 34,000 original mile 1977 Pontiac Trans Am-400, 4spd. Before that, was a 1980 Chevy Elcamino, with a 396 BB stuffed under the hood. Before that was a 1981 Chevy Z-28.... and the list goes on.

I'm sure you can understand........ Although I love the 914, the open air roadster feel, etc........ I miss the horsepower.

With that............. I can't help myself from browsing through Ebay motors at the Porsche 928s. The "S"...... the "S4"...... some of them reaching well over the 300hp range. Many appear to be in really nice condition as well.

Someone wanna tell me why they are so cheap?

Wanna tell me why I shouldn't get one??

Keep in mind, I've never even driven one, and know nothing about them. I have no intention of racing my cars, only "cruising" in the Summertime.... but I like "distinctive" cars that you don't see too often...... and the 928 definately has my attention.

Comments? Suggestions??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xitspd
post Feb 28 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

Prepared 928's are well balanced and fast. Call Mark Anderson at 928 International in Anaheim, California. He is the 928 man!
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 28 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

The 928 is a GT car....some handle OK, but it takes a lot to get there. The P-car purists hated it for two reasons...water and the front engine....

They also are not cheap to maintain....suffer from 914 type of neglect except for the pristine garage queens. I have looked at a few...the cheap ones....they were pounded on hard and put away wet. The expensive, well mainatained ones were still out of my budget and I was not willing to sell all my toys to get one...

My advice....drive a few....get the best example out there. Not much in the way for aftermarket parts compared to the 356. 914 and 911s...but there are some.
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Feb 28 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #4

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

you think porsche shop prices are expensive every thing takes twice as long on a 928, due to cramped engine bay. and i have heard stories of people crunching a fender, no other damge just the fender, and the repair price was higher than they bought the car for

but they would be a good car to buy, macco paint job drive the piss out of it till it dies then buy another
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Feb 28 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #5

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

PM jim912928. He rebuilt his 928. He should be able to tell ya almost anything you would need to know about them.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Feb 28 2005, 09:47 AM
Post #6

So the main reason people hate them is because of the repair costs??

Honestly, I'd like a car that will last me several years before any major maintenance is required.

Is there anyone here that owns one, or has owned one?? What kind of repair documentation should I look for from a previous owner? Judging by all the ebay descriptions, replacing the timing belt seems to be a pretty high-priority thing that increases the value of the car. Why??

What else should I look for?

I'm really having a hard time understanding....... a $50,000 car that appears to be in good shape (like an 8 out of 10), with reasonable mileage, everything is working, and that runs good.... going for under $10,000

My price range is $7500 to $8500, and I'd prefer to get the 300 HP car instead of the 234 HP version. I think thats the "euro spec" car or something like that??

+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Feb 28 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

The "cheapness" of a 928 will disapear the very first time you need to make repairs (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)

928's are not my cup of tea, but they are great cars in their own right
Big, luxurious, comfy, lots of torque and a nice V8 growl
Excellent for long highspeed cruising
Basically, it's a muscle car that handles (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Just go drive one and see for your self...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 28 2005, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Not for that price....you'll likely be able to get a mid range beater....the bad boy 928s are still 20-30K or more.

I have seen a lot of 928 Chevy conversions....radiator and plumbing are already there.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Feb 28 2005, 09:52 AM
Post #9

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

You could consider a 944 turbo. Lots of potential in that package. Also close to 50/50 weight distribution. Clean ones run around $8k and up. The later ones start at around 240 hp and 300 hp is not an unrealistic goal. Downside, it is a 4 banger and may not satisfy your need for a V8.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Feb 28 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #10

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Actually, if you want the "muscle" and the Porsche feel, I would think about a 914 V8 conversion. Cheap to work on, but fast as hell. I have Craigs 914 V8 right now, 400+ hp and wow, it's a monster! I would think of something like that before a 928. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
xitspd
post Feb 28 2005, 10:14 AM
Post #11

Technology and Tradition 3.6 and 914-6

Member No.: 3,136

QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 07:59 AM)
Actually, if you want the "muscle" and the Porsche feel, I would think about a 914 V8 conversion. Cheap to work on, but fast as hell. I have Craigs 914 V8 right now, 400+ hp and wow, it's a monster! I would think of something like that before a 928. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)

I agree! I have two friends that race 928's with the POC in VO class and it takes a lot of money to go fast.... A 914 with a V8 conversion is the way I would go.
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Feb 28 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #12

QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Feb 28 2005, 07:59 AM)

TRUST ME...... I have definately thought of that, and the thought of it definately sounds appealing.

Especially considering the fact that I know my way around a GM V-8 better than anyone I know. AND THE 914 IS BY FAR, MY FAVORITE BODY STYLE CAR EVER PRODUCED.

The PROBLEM, is that any 914 V-8 conversions I've seen are all either kinda junky looking, or they are gorgeous, and WAY over my price range.

Hey, if anyone's got a nice V8 conversion they'd like to swap, I'm all ears, just doesn't seem very realistic.--lol
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 28 2005, 10:26 AM
Post #13

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I have owned 5 928's starting in 1991. My daily driver is an '84 928S with 48,000 miles on it. I love the cars, however DO NOT buy a project. Look for a low mile car with good maintenance records. Timing belt/water pump replacement is $1200 every 45,000 miles. Some guys do their own and there is plenty of internet help out there.
If the belt breaks on a 32 valve engine, pistons meet valves and it's time to install a sbc!
I sold a 3- owner '81 with 80,000 miles on Ebay last summer for less than $7000. New owner paid shipping from Oregon to Missouri. Good cars are out there for $10K or less. I prefer the 16 valve cars due to less complexity/repair costs but if you want the most power you need to get an S4 ('87 -91). The GTS (93-95) is the best of all but low milers are often $25-$40K. Then there is the decision, automatic vs 5 speed.
Autos are more common (4 speed starting in '83 is preferred).
This is the car I sold. Don't have a pic of the '84. (Oh, guess there is one in my avatar!)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Feb 28 2005, 10:32 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (jasons @ Feb 28 2005, 07:52 AM)
You could consider a 944 turbo. Lots of potential in that package. Also close to 50/50 weight distribution. Clean ones run around $8k and up. The later ones start at around 240 hp and 300 hp is not an unrealistic goal. Downside, it is a 4 banger and may not satisfy your need for a V8.

Yea.. the 944s are cool cars.... but I just see too many of them all over the place. You're right, great performance for the $$$, but they don't stand out in a crowd..... I like distinctive cars that you don't see everyday.

Not downing the 944 at all... great car, just not what I like.
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 28 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

I agree that the 928 is an excellent car. My close friend had one, which I drove on several occasions. As was mentioned, a very very good high speed road car, and very comfortable. Hugely expensive to fix! A low mileage find would probably give you a lot of value for the money. Keep it just long enough to get some utilization out of it, then sell before you need to fix anything!

Andy
+Quote Post
CptTripps
Post #16

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

But then there's the whole 'Scareface' thing...you can get out of it and say..

Say 'ello to mie little frien' (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ar15.gif)

I'd get one for the engine and drop it in a 914. I think that's my plan for next year anyways...
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
Post #17

PorscheRescue....... that car is GORGEOUS.

So a recent timing belt and water pump are the most important things to look for??

You're not the first person to say that, so I'm thinking thats the key to these cars (or at least something to start with)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Feb 28 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #18

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I owned a 78 for 13 years. Absolutely wonderful car. Paid 8300 for it sold it or should I say traded it for a Motorcycle. Sad sad day. But it ran great just got tired of fixing the nit picky shit. passenger window intermitent need this or that here and there.
Needed a paint job badly.
I could leave most cars in the dust on the freeway. Say from 70 to 110 not many cars could keep up. Which made the 928 an outstanding cruiser for long distance hauls. 18 MPG @ 80 MPH with A/C and stereo cranking. Repair cost close to 12K over 13 yrs. I turned all the wrenches.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Feb 28 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #19

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

QUOTE (ninefourteener @ Feb 28 2005, 08:32 AM)

Yea.. the 944s are cool cars.... but I just see too many of them all over the place. You're right, great performance for the $$$, but they don't stand out in a crowd..... I like distinctive cars that you don't see everyday.

Not downing the 944 at all... great car, just not what I like.

I can certainly respect that. However, I don't think 928's are any more or less common than 944's. If they are less common, its probably because of attrition. The maintenance expenses generate alot of parts cars.
+Quote Post
Pnambic
post Feb 28 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #20

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

Maybe where you live. But around here, you'll see at least 40 to 50 944's for every one 928, maybe more.

A 928 was one of the first matchbox cars I ever received when I was a little tot. I still have it! I drove one once, but barely. My dad had a friend who managed a Chevy dealership. They got one in as a trade and he let me drive him around a bit in it, but it was an auto and he wouldn't let me get on any roads where the speed limit was over 45mph...

One of the cars on my top ten list of favorites....
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:39 PM