Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 928 vs Porsche 914, The good, the bad, and the ugly
jim912928
post Mar 2 2005, 07:09 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here is a pic of my baby (forgot to add it in my post above).

Jim

p.s. when I say it is my daily driver....i drive about 100 miles a day!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 2 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #42

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I broke a belt on a 944, and threw the car away.

I like the shape of the space egg, but I would not deal well with a broken timing belt.. hello trash can.

M
+Quote Post
marks914
post Mar 2 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

Just picked up this one yesterday...
I will be in the R&M auction in Novi, MI on Apr 22.
Mark
PS its not nearly as fun as my 914.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 2 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #44

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

As I said earlier, I have owned 5 928's and everything Jim said is right on. My '84 is my daily driver too, but probably average only 15-20 miles a day.
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Mar 2 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (jim912928 @ Mar 2 2005, 04:52 PM)
Sorry all that I haven't put my 2 cents in...i've been traveling alot. There is alot of "myth" to 928's that are just that...myths. Any porsche's parts are expensive..but 928 parts are not that much more then 911 maintenance. The real horror stories come from 928 owners that have had really beaten cars. As in any beaten down car, you'll spend alot of money bringing it up to snuff...per our specs in here.

I agree 100% here. the people who say 928's are junk or too expensive to repair, have never had one!

also, to the people saying it is too big and too heavy to do this or that...well the only thing it does not do *way* better than a 914 is handle. once you cruise the highway at 145mph in relaxing fashion though you might change your mind about these cars, they are essentially a high performance tank.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Mar 2 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #46

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

It raises your eyebrows... it's hard to believe that heavy thing can get out of the way.

.... and then it does.

M
+Quote Post
ninefourteener
post Mar 2 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #47

Perfectly Normal Guy :)

Member No.: 779

jim912928,

Thanks for all the helpful info. You definately told me what I needed and wanted to hear, no bs, nothing left out.

The basic jist of everything said (at least what I picked up), is that they are great cars, fast, fun to drive, and reliable........ if taken care of.

Here's my problem, I partially financed my 914, which is why I spent a little more than average ($7500), but it had a new engine, tranny, suspension, etc.. Obviously I cannot afford a 928 in the same condition.

I made a rule to myself to keep my "toy" cars between 6 and 8 thousand bucks (total cost including my cash + partial financing). If I sell the 914, I will undoubtedly make a few extra dollars to spend on another car. Perhaps I would feel comfortable going up to $9000.

But judging from many of the comments posted here, and after searching through ebay and the auto trader, to get one that I'd really feel comfortable with would cost me at least 13 or 14 thousand. I don't want a project car.... I want a car that I can pamper, drive in the summer, enjoy, and still make good money on when I decide to get something new. As many of you know, in 2 years, the only "repair" I've done on the teener is a new battery.

Well, I love my 914, but I don't have the cash to go doing a V-8 conversion. So I'm thinking I may wait till the end of winter and put it up for sale. I've seen less desireable 914s go for arounf 6K on ebay. I'd be happy with $6000.

My first choice will be a flared, chevy v8 conversion. If nothing comes along, I'm actually thinking about going GM again with an early 80's L82 corvette, or a late 60's BB El Camino... both are available in my price range, with a little searching.... I've been looking.

Of course, If a 928 that meets my specifications comes up, I'm going to be all over it. Here's to hoping (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 2 2005, 11:47 PM
Post #48

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

You could have the best of both worlds... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool_shades.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:49 PM