Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Aug 21 2017, 10:21 PM
Post #141

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

Heads on and temporary install of the oil cooler for the cam tower install. This allows you to make sure the heads are lined up on that side for head to oil cooler clearance when assembling the cam towers. There is just the slightest bit of play in the heads, so why not? Another tip from Porsche engine builder friend of mine.

Attached Image

Cam tower on, and I wish I had thought to take a pic of how much (really how little) Locktite 472 to be put on. Missed pic on both sides!! UGH! There is a lot going on at this point though with the Locktite 574, 2 lubricated oil drain tubes, and 6 pins in the three heads to line up, and a host of studs, it is easy to forget the camera even moving at the snail pace I am.

Attached Image

Funny, the build book says the way to check proper installation of the cam towers is to try the cam and see if it turns freely.

Yikes!... and re-torque if necessary. Really?
Well good news on mine, both sides!! Good to go!

Attached Image

Starting to look like an engine again....

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 24 2017, 07:59 AM
Post #142

Had a lot of problems with the Dougherty DC40 cams as they punched the front end to mark the key way DC40 right in the end of the front of the cam.

That punch marks, which took me quite a while to figure out, deformed material on the front of the shaft that would not allow the timing gear to go on or the sprocket for that matter. It was as though the ends of the cams were mushroomed. After dickin with the cams for hours I alerted John Dougherty they were putting the punch too close to the O.D. and raising material. He was surprised and was going to make a change to his process. So I either had to return (more lost time) or hand dress them myself, which I chose to do.

Attached Image

Reconditioned chain tensioner arms with the upgraded integral spacer makes for a much wider bearing surface. Old and new shown here. Pricey improvement but the original arms were galled and had no brass bushing. Really had no choice but now I have a much improved nice wide bronze bushing and spacer! Again these were exchange from Supertec through Ken at 911 Vintage in Fallbrook.

Attached Image

Ready to set the chain timing!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 24 2017, 12:05 PM
Post #143

So now with the timing set, and lucky for me that I happen to know one of the best Porsche engine guys in San Diego, I am ready to finish build this puppy. I feel comfortable building the engine alright but the cam timing with the Dougherty Cams is another story. There was a trick to setting it and we figured it out because it behaved differently than a regular Porsche cam due to the lift. This guru also helped me with the cam timing on my SC motor as well and that sucker runs like a watch. There are little nuances you can do with setting cam timing and you don’t read that in a book!

Attached Image

Chain housing covers installed after sanding them for flatness. Buttoning it up!

Then the chain tensioner oil lines were the next order of business. Might seem like a simple thing but cleaning up all the fittings, flushing, and then having to re-bend both the larger and the smaller feed lines on both sides took the day! You see a small bend in the larger line relocates the fitting for the intersecting smaller line and so a bend in the one results is needing to bend the other. Fun.

Looked like the metal line segments, having been installed at angles as shown in the before picture, was putting stress on the rubber hose part of the larger line.

Before
Attached Image

After
Attached Image
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Aug 24 2017, 12:22 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Your spectacular attention to detail and thorough explanation of problems and solutions is greatly appreciated. These are the things you don't learn in a book. Thanks for sharing.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 24 2017, 12:23 PM
Post #145

Additionally I filed a relief in the front of the timing chain cover for the small oil line on the right side for clearance and added plastic tube for insulator to prevent line chafing.

Before
Attached Image

After
Attached Image

And I decided to install the fan and clamp now because I know you can’t get the clamp in after the dizzy goes in.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 24 2017, 01:02 PM
Post #146

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

In all the 911 engines I have built over the years I have always put the heads and cam towers on as 1 assembly.. I know others do it just like you but just don't know if one way is better then the other..
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 25 2017, 08:56 AM
Post #147

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 24 2017, 12:02 PM) *

In all the 911 engines I have built over the years I have always put the heads and cam towers on as 1 assembly.. I know others do it just like you but just don't know if one way is better then the other..

mb911 with only 2 of these particular engines under my belt I am always willing to learn and it sounds like you have more experience than me. My thought is that the joint between the cam towers to heads assembly is said to be one of the most critical, that using the head studs to line up the heads would be beneficial to mating the cam tower to them. Additionally it makes the application of RTV574 one operation when putting the cam tower to the heads instead of three when assembling each head to the cam tower. Just my 2 cents. I would say if you are having good success with your method to continue on. Thanks for looking at the thread.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 25 2017, 09:16 AM
Post #148

Valve covers were the next opportunity for flatness. More sanding…….

Attached Image

Just had to try a header on for fit to see. Sure looks cool. MSDS 1 5/8 with Ceramic coating, beautiful! These came to me done and with the project I bought. Nice work moparrob!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Aug 25 2017, 09:36 AM
Post #149

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

You D'man....

Truly a work of art. Great skills and patience indeed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Oscar
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
worn
post Aug 25 2017, 09:42 AM
Post #150

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 25 2017, 07:16 AM) *

Valve covers were the next opportunity for flatness. More sanding…….

Doesn't it look grand at that point? Good flattening. Wish I had done that with my chain covers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
mb911
post Aug 25 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #151

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 25 2017, 06:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 24 2017, 12:02 PM) *

mb911 with only 2 of these particular engines under my belt I am always willing to learn and it sounds like you have more experience than me. My thought is that the joint between the cam towers to heads assembly is said to be one of the most critical, that using the head studs to line up the heads would be beneficial to mating the cam tower to them. Additionally it makes the application of RTV574 one operation when putting the cam tower to the heads instead of three when assembling each head to the cam tower. Just my 2 cents. I would say if you are having good success with your method to continue on. Thanks for looking at the thread.

Oh completely understand but I always approached it from the dowl pins in the heads made it easy to locate into the cam towers and put it on as a completed unit though a bit harder to torque the heads ..

Its all good.. Keep up the good work.
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Aug 25 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #152

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Marty Schneider (MSDS) makes some awesome headers here in So Cal. He is also a really nice guy who owns a bad ass turbo 914 (6 cyl).

I know, I know... you can't turbo a 914...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/forums.pelicanparts.com-11663-1503719737.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 26 2017, 02:16 PM
Post #153

QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 24 2017, 11:22 AM) *

Your spectacular attention to detail and thorough explanation of problems and solutions is greatly appreciated. These are the things you don't learn in a book. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks man.

It truly is a learning experience and if I can help one person with anything I've come across then all this posting is worth it. I have to say that I sure have learned a lot from this site and it is one of the things that keeps me inspired it is my way of contributing. I appreciate the others who have done or are doing 6 conversions like forrestkhaag and larmo63 and I am sure there are many others.

Starting with a car this far along was perfect for me at this point in my life. My hats off to those doing the heavy lifting of major rust reapir and GT conversions. These truly are cool cars worth the effort.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 26 2017, 02:23 PM
Post #154

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 25 2017, 08:36 AM) *

You D'man....

Truly a work of art. Great skills and patience indeed.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Oscar

Thanks for weighing in and the complement. I am fortunate that I am not in a hurry and can take the time. Rushing was never one of my strong points and I can see that In a lot of folks cars. Look at what defianty is doing with detail in the UK amazing!

Look forward to meeting you in Temecula.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 26 2017, 02:38 PM
Post #155

Perry Kiehl Wiring harness going back in.

He sure was a major help to me when I was wiring to the chassis with MSD a while back. I have heard others also say that he what a big help he is and that is really true!

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 26 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #156

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(moparrob @ Aug 25 2017, 11:55 PM) *

Marty Schneider (MSDS) makes some awesome headers here in So Cal. He is also a really nice guy who owns a bad ass turbo 914 (6 cyl).

I know, I know... you can't turbo a 914...

Dropping a 935 engine in a 914 is just a whole 'nother level. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 27 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #157

Almost ready to come off the stand

Attached Image

Kind a like giving birth! I took it off the stand because I was again waiting parts and top side work from here on out.

Attached Image

But I was not quite as ready as I thought because when I went to order new intake manifold gaskets and insulators so I could mount my manifolds and Weber 40’s, I began yet another fun educational experience. I'm hearing the intake manifolds that I have which are actual Porsche intake manifolds, that have been lightly ported and came with my project purchase, won’t work well. These great looking Porsche PN manifolds are for an early 2.0 engine and now present major complications especially when trying to use them on a 3.0 CIS to Weber conversion application. Hmmmm…….. Really? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

Took me a while to buy into the concept that my recently bead blasted, beautiful ready to go manifolds, were really not a good idea to use. Made a couple calls to Richard at PMO and Paul at Performance Oriented (he did the carbs), plus contacting a few guys here on the World who have also done 3.0 conversions, and I finally came to realize that another investment was necessary. That being new PMO CIS manifolds had to be ordered.

Just when I thought all the large purchases were behind me. Man, I can’t wait to see the difference of these PMO’s, this better be worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Here is another shot of the original Porsche Manifolds flange that mates to heads.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gms
post Aug 27 2017, 02:10 PM
Post #158

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

Yup those manifold will leak air because they don't cover the CIS injector cut out on the intake of the head.
Head
Attached Image

Recommended intake
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 27 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #159

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(gms @ Aug 27 2017, 04:10 PM) *

Yup those manifold will leak air because they don't cover the CIS injector cut out on the intake of the head.

Ant you buy some spacers that will seel up the gap.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Aug 27 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #160

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

rick 918-S, made some plates he was selling to solve that coverage, or PMO has plastic spacers that would work also..

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=263516&hl=
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:41 AM