Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
Lucky9146
post Nov 28 2017, 09:58 AM
Post #381

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

The next Project (hopefully)

My big hurdle to firing it up, and this is what I have been dreading, is to finish sorting out my wiring mess and what will likely be the final frontier. The wiring is something that I got into 2 years ago and now will have to go through some it again because unlike my latest commitment to completion of this project, I did not do the best job then on notes like I have been doing diligently since April of this year. Especially problematic for me since I hadn’t finished it then when I stopped on it, and most importantly, electrical is not one of my strong suits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Attached Image

I have great schematics mind you but I really struggle with them and they give me a headache pretty quick. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) And worst of all I thought I did this fantastic job of wiring up my frunk fuel pump and fans for the oil cooler with relays and all, but they don’t work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

Waiting on a 914 electrical savy friend to free up some time to help me out in this regard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/help.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/white914.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Nov 28 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #382

So in the meantime, while waiting to get back to the wiring, and trying to do as much as I could on the interior, the likely next couple of "details" are…………..

Going to give it a go on converting this old empty fire extinguisher into an oil breather catch can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) t Collins here on World provided detailed and helpful information that he painstakingly and thoroughly sent me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Attached Image

And have to get going on having this steering wheel leather wrapped that I found here in classifieds. Oh yeah, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) and now looking at the picture I have to order that dried out steering wheel cup too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
Oh wait, there still is quite a list left after all...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 2 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #383

Big Day Friday, No I didn’t fire it up yet! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) But getting closer!
And I sure had good intentions in my last post but got zero done on those fronts.
Friday was a good day because my buddy Toolguy came by to help me sort out some electrical “challenges”. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Back in Dec 2015 when I stopped working on the car some of the last things I did was wiring the relays and fuses on the Holly electric fuel pump and oil cooler fans in the frunk. Short story is I got all done wiring and neither one worked. Very frustrating! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Fuel pump and Filter
Attached Image

Attached Image
Fuse and relay sub panel
Attached Image

We trouble shot the crap out of both circuits to find out 4 things:
First is the good news that I basically had the fuel pump and fans wired correctly.
Second, it turns out I wasn’t powering the relay correctly on the fuel pump.
Third we ended up calling the fan manufacturer to understand how the integral relay on the fans actually worked and proper powering for over ride switch.
Forth, I really did not have a good plan on the switches and connections under the dash.

Attached Image

So, with proper connections the fans work now too. But the fan fuse could have been better placed in the circuit and I took care of that this morning.

Attached Image

We looked at some other minor things and fixed a few and it was a good non-stop 4 hours work on stuff I could not figure out.
I would love to report I can now read a wiring schematic better but I can’t. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
Still more wiring to do! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 3 2017, 09:57 PM
Post #384

The bad news .No Progress today because I went to try to sell at the swap meet in Escondido. Worst turn out ever! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Only 12 sellers there. Wow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

But the good news is that the swap meet yielded a first look at Coondog's car. It drew a lot of attention and looked Niiiicccceeee!
Plus a really good turn out of 914's
Attached Image

Afterward Lawrence, Oscar, and Steve stopped by the house and made the culdesac look the best it has in a long damn time. It was great to be around running/ driving 914's. Inspiriational
My awesome wife captured the moment! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Great day! Thanks guys!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 6 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #385

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

That's a PRETTY sight (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 6 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #386

Ok so maybe I can figure out some of this electrical stuff after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Studying the wiring diagram last night trying to figure out how to stop my dash brake light from blinking when the key is on (normal function by the way on a ‘74 with the seat belt interconnect system in tack but long since MIA from my car) and also getting said brake light to work with the hand brake when pulled. It Did Not!

I actually figured out the solution and ran it by my electrical savvy friend toolguy and with his concurrence I tried it and PROBLEM SOLVED! I really wanted that behind me cuz it sure bugged me and I am very happy to see that light function properly now. This is me celebrating this small success (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) I can finally push the gages in and attach the gage panel.
Interior assembly continues!
Attached Image

Today I finished the FINAL install of the forward tunnel carpet, center console attachment, and passenger seat.
Followed by the driver side upper forward kick panel carpet, pedal board and floor carpets and floor mats. Baby steps but progress and a full day!
Attached Image
Dang A little blurry
Attached Image
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Dec 7 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #387

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

Purdddeey (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 7 2017, 11:14 PM
Post #388

Dropped off my stock 914 steering wheel for leather wrap today. Decided not to go with the MOMO. Great guy does awesome work! Expensive to me, but likely chump change, small project to him. Here is why. He showed me around the shop and he had some early 911R seats and said the owner had paid 5k for the cores and was paying him 5k to cover them. Bit out of my league but here they are just absolutely exquisite work. Learned he also did an interior and saw pictures for a car that was at SEMA.
So, all that said, I feel a bit lucky he is even doing my piddley wheel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) Even got to Pick the leather! I think my wheel is in good hands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Here are the 10k seats, wouldn’t those be nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

Gave up on fabricating my oil breather catch can myself. Just started to not make sense. I had started on that old fire extinguisher, cutting off the top, and putting a pet cock drain in the bottom. Then priced out a filter, a fitting, and then would still need to spend the time to weld and find a clamp it was already over $25 and I don’t think it would have looked that great all cobbled together anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
So, I went with this today for $55.00 Done! Thank you, Amazon!

Attached Image

Posted a WTB tonight and Garold Shaffer came to the rescue with a quick response for my early window crank and interior door handle base.
These are mine I needed another set for the other door. Yeah I wanted the early look.
Can’t wait to see his! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thanks Garold!

Attached Image

progress
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 8 2017, 09:29 PM
Post #389

Surprise! And a good one at that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Went out to check to see if I needed to get in on the group buy for Mikey’s “vortex generators” and finally started address the underside of the floor pan. Been dreading it because I thought I was going to be scraping like Defianty with his “special tool” (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif). I hope he knows I'm teasing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

To my surprise when I rubbed on it pretty good with some Prep Sol it seemed to just cut right through all the, whatever it is, road grime/ crud/ maybe light under coating? I couldn’t say for sure. But it looked like nice painted surface under all that crud. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Attached Image

Well I couldn't stop there, and yes it took some rubbing and several applications, but this sure looks to be the original painted bottom to me. It looks like it is a light grey paint and I came to realize that the yellow stuff in the pictures is the factory cosmoline. The cosmoline will come off completely if desired it is like a wax. I mean I knew this car had very little rust in its history and I know the car was repainted 20 some years ago, but this floor bottom is crazy cool. Sure, it has a few extra holes that shouldn’t be there and of course there are some dents and scrapes to fix.

I bet when Moparrob sees this he is going to want it back even more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Oh, and my “vortex generators” look to be OK, maybe I have ADD? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Maybe it was the fumes? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) That's why I went out in the garage?
Made it all the way to the front on right side! Hope to finish tomorrow!

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 10 2017, 02:20 PM
Post #390

Just a quick one here

My floor mats were in pretty good shape on the carpet side but the back sides were deteriorating and crumbling. They are original 914 floor mats I picked up at a swap meet. They have a couple of holes on the one end by the seats from some previous carpet attachment thingy that I may actually use. I was trying think of something I could do to the back to keep it intact and my wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) suggested Flex Seal.

You know that commercial where the guy sprays a screen on the bottom of a boat with Flex Seal and then shows him driving the boat? Well I would have never thought of that stuff but it sure worked great on the floor mats! Sorry forgot before pics.

Downside is the coverage is pretty limited and it actually took almost 2 cans just for the two mats at $12.99 a can. That boat bottom at that rate would be like $1,000.00 I figure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Pluggin away.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 10 2017, 02:24 PM
Post #391

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Dec 10 2017, 03:20 PM) *

Just a quick one here

My floor mats were in pretty good shape on the carpet side but the back sides were deteriorating and crumbling. They are original 914 floor mats I picked up at a swap meet. They have a couple of holes on the one end by the seats from some previous carpet attachment thingy that I may actually use. I was trying think of something I could do to the back to keep it intact and my wife (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) suggested Flex Seal.

You know that commercial where the guy sprays a screen on the bottom of a boat with Flex Seal and then shows him driving the boat? Well I would have never thought of that stuff but it sure worked great on the floor mats! Sorry forgot before pics.

Downside is the coverage is pretty limited and it actually took almost 2 cans just for the two mats at $12.99 a can. That boat bottom at that rate would be like $1,000.00 I figure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Pluggin away.

Nice save. Smart wife.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 10 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #392

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 10 2017, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Dec 10 2017, 03:20 PM) *

Nice save. Smart wife.

Thanks Mark! She's a keeper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smlove2.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 13 2017, 09:20 PM
Post #393

Well there is three days that I’ll never get back!

But the infamous under dash wiring went from this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

To this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) and I sure learned a lot! Some we-wiring was needed and some new with a lot of identifying and tagging in the process.

Attached Image

I may have maxed out my quota of dumb electrical questions to toolguy, what a trooper, and he would still answer the phone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Thanks!

Fuel pump switch and oil cooler fans over ride switch are located under the dash on my alum panel. Going to try it under here and may end up moving them. Fuel pump switch functions forward /aft and fan override works side to side.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Dec 14 2017, 02:51 PM
Post #394

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Looking tidy Jim,birds nest of wires gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .
Should get it running for Xmas eh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ,great present to yourself .
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 14 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #395

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

You must not have the buttons on your floors that hold the mats?
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 14 2017, 06:34 PM
Post #396

Advanced Member

Part II
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 14 2017, 06:58 PM
Post #397

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 14 2017, 12:51 PM) *

Looking tidy Jim,birds nest of wires gone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) .
Should get it running for Xmas eh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) ,great present to yourself .

Birds nest I like that! Yup gone what a pain. Thanks!
But discovered today the fog lights now don't work so have to figure that out now. Didn't even touch that fuse area (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Electrical (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Believe me I would like that Christmas present idea but while still up in the air I am going to do my best to clean up the bottom. Spent more time under there today. Gray Por 15 arrived yesterday which should pretty closely match the original finish I hope.
Thanks for looking in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 14 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #398

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 14 2017, 04:34 PM) *

Buttons Hmmm I do but unfortunately I just looked and they buried in sound proofing from PPO. So that's what those were for..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I guess there was a floor mat retainer eh? Oh well the mats seem to fit pretty securely in the well. Crud.

Thanks for checking in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Dec 14 2017, 08:01 PM
Post #399

Advanced Member

The mats should stay put without the stops.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Dec 15 2017, 08:59 PM
Post #400

Wasn't going to post this but...............

l.a.brooks posted this thread about door panels this morning http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=321152

And I happened to take pictures of my door panels last night because I just received the matching early chrome window crank and door pull base from Garold yesterday. I had enough for one door and installed them last night.

Anyway thought I would post the door panel thread here because there seemed to be some interest and information to share. Check it out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

I love these door panels and that both sides are completely the same. My panels came with my project and I didn't know where they came from, so I learned from the thread too.
My panel with early chrome window crank and door handle base
Attached Image
+Quote Post

50 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:56 PM