Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

50 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finishing A 914-6 GT Conversion Project, Great Start, But The Devil Is In The Details!
lonewolfe
post Aug 6 2015, 12:50 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:22 PM) *

One of the things I have completed is the rear bumper. The car came with a nicely pianted (black) later style rear bumper. The PO was going down the path of black bumpers front and rear. So the car also came wih a fiberglass GT front bumper and matching lower fiberglass valance with the cut out for the cooler.

I really wanted chrome bumpers front and back so I proceded to find a nice early rear and get it chromed. Finding good local chrome shop in San Diego is the challange. I found Escondido Plating and Don does triple chrome great quality for a reasonable price. Also note I bought the new gold 914-6 script and new bumper top.

The front bumper is in work now and another story but it will be steel and chrome.

Did the bumper have any dent repairs? What did they charge for the work?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 09:10 AM
Post #42

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 5 2015, 11:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 5 2015, 11:22 PM) *

One of the things I have completed is the rear bumper. The car came with a nicely pianted (black) later style rear bumper. The PO was going down the path of black bumpers front and rear. So the car also came wih a fiberglass GT front bumper and matching lower fiberglass valance with the cut out for the cooler.

I really wanted chrome bumpers front and back so I proceded to find a nice early rear and get it chromed. Finding good local chrome shop in San Diego is the challange. I found Escondido Plating and Don does triple chrome great quality for a reasonable price. Also note I bought the new gold 914-6 script and new bumper top.

The front bumper is in work now and another story but it will be steel and chrome.

Did the bumper have any dent repairs? What did they charge for the work?

The bumper did have one small dent and the total was $350 which I thought was reasonable for a local So Cal shop.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #43

So now I learned from Maltese Falcon that since my car is a 74 and white it could possibly be a limited edition so I will have to check that out! Thanks Marty! Like to see your "hot rod 6/ conversion and meet you some time. Thanks!
[/quote]

On Monday I learned the car could be an LE = Limited Edition. I learned that Jeff Bowlsby has a website with an enormous amount of info in case any of you have never seen it.

It was worth the learning experience but unfortunately my car it is not an LE although it was manufactured within the time frame they were made.

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 6 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #44

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

in your favor it's not an LE. then you would have to undo everything to make it 'correct' for any real collectibility $.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 6 2015, 09:49 AM
Post #45

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

[quote name='Lucky9146' date='Aug 6 2015, 11:33 AM' post='2219620']
So now I learned from Maltese Falcon that since my car is a 74 and white it could possibly be a limited edition so I will have to check that out! Thanks Marty! Like to see your "hot rod 6/ conversion and meet you some time. Thanks!
[/quote]

On Monday I learned the car could be an LE = Limited Edition. I learned that Jeff Bowlsby has a website with an enormous amount of info in case any of you have never seen it.

It was worth the learning experience but unfortunately my car it is not an LE although it was manufactured within the time frame they were made.

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/
[/quote]
Would it really matter? It's been highly modified from stock - in a good way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #46

Thought I would share some history of the car at least what I know. I only have history back to 1990. Prior to that it was to my understanding a CA car. In Aug 1990 it was purchased and went to WA where he owned it until 2010. So in 1990 there began a complete restoration through Jan 1995. No Pictures Darn! As I understand it when the car was completed in Jan 1995 with a super built 4 cyl., it was driven a short time, then something happened, and the car sat until being sold in 2010. During that time the engine was removed and apparently sold. So the main things done to the car by that earlier owner in a complete restoration, besides the previously mentioned paint job and top notch addition of factory P/N flares is:

Koni adjustables, Sport spring kit, Turbo tie rod kit, Cross drilled rotors
911 SC struts. 5 lug conversion, SC brakes, 914-6 half shaft adapters
Boxed trailing arms, Automotion chassis siffening kit, batt tray,
Weltmeister 22m front and rear sway bar, Weltmeister short shift kit
GT rockers, Gt spoiler, GT engine lid
Tweeks rubber kit, 944 mirrors, custom door panels
Fuchs 16" 7 and 8's, MOMO steering wheel & shift knob
And thousands in powder coat, Cad, bushings, misc, and hunderds upon hundreds of new parts, many of which were dealer bought. I actually have a list of all done. It has been off the road to my undersatanding from sometime between 1995 and 1998.
In 2010 my PO bought the car and had it until Nov 2103 when I got it.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 05:13 PM
Post #47

Pictures of front trunk as received. Louver was installed. Bracket had been added for compact spare tire mount. The oil cooler was mounted and I will cover that and the oil cooler shroud in more detail shortly. Note the PO added same size holes matching and between the original holes on the front for the oil cooler intake.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #48

Minimal rust was treated with Pour 15, louver was sealed from top and bottom, and trunk painted.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Aug 6 2015, 05:22 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

I like how the spare tire mount was added for a space saver spare. Is that the fuel pump mounted on that same firewall? I'm pretty sure it is but what is the other device? Is that a giant fuel filter? I've not seen one like that before if that's what that is. Did you weld in that louvered panel?
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 05:32 PM
Post #50

Front carpet reinstalled. Under front louver sealed and undercoated.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 05:53 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Aug 6 2015, 04:22 PM) *

I like how the spare tire mount was added for a space saver spare. Is that the fuel pump mounted on that same firewall? I'm pretty sure it is but what is the other device? Is that a giant fuel filter? I've not seen one like that before if that's what that is. Did you weld in that louvered panel?

PO gets credit for the compact spare tire mount and it is nicely done. Yes that is a Holly 120 fuel pump on left and unfortunately I have no info on the fuel filter on the right but I believe it is a Holly as well, both done with AN 6 tube and fittings to engine compartment by PO. Yes the louver panel was spot welded in hence the sealing by me. I tried to find the filter on line but could not find it, there are no markings on it.
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 06:14 PM
Post #52

Have been looking for months for the cir-clip that hold the rear roof latch on the shaft that it rides on. Found it at Marshalls Hardware, huge selection of parts. San Diego Off Miramar Rd. Like I always say the devil is in the details.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 10:47 PM
Post #53

Engine compartment insulation was not installed when I got the car but the original insulation did come loose with the car but it was very tired. Also, it had a lot of extraneous holes in it so I used it for a template. Found some foil backed heat shield at ORW = Off Road Warehouse made by Competition Specialities (about $50). It worked well fitting it and glueing it in, mostly scissor work. Still need to do the back side of the access panel from the passenger compartment.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 6 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #54

Insulation Installed

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 8 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #55

To continue on with the front trunk, oil cooler, and shroud. It should be noted that I started a thread "Mazda RX7 Oil Cooler Flow" to try to figure out in fact which way the oil should flow or if it really mattered. That thread has taken on a life of is own and I will try not to duplicate here. In fact that post preceded this thread because through that thread I decided I would share my experience of taking over a project started by someone else to complete it. The PO fabricated a bracket for the oil cooler and fans and it is the support for the shroud. Pictured

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 8 2015, 12:41 AM
Post #56

The PO installed oil cooler and card board mock up shroud. It is my understanding the Mazda cooler is wider making it harder to just buy a shroud.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Aug 8 2015, 01:09 AM
Post #57

So I started with the mock up and some spare galvanized sheet metal. It would take a total 5 brake bends to shape the top piece and then cut to fit the two sides. Note it is much more difficult to cut the metal to contour the trunk than cardboard but with careful trial fits it works. I located a local metal fabricator for the first 5 bends which are the one main bend across the top and then the 4 flaps which would attach to the sides. Fabricator charged $20.00 which seemed fair as a walk in customer. Rivits $6.50 Depot. Finally, 9 feet of Trim Lok edge protector $11.50 which also serves as additonal contour to the floor. Total cost $38.00 One last bend was done at the back to allow a clamping flange. Three bolts through the top to the cooler bracket bold it firmly in place and camps have yet to be completed.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 8 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #58

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very nicely done!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Aug 8 2015, 07:08 AM
Post #59

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2015, 05:57 AM) *

Very nicely done!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Very nice!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 8 2015, 07:31 AM
Post #60

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Aug 6 2015, 04:53 PM) *

unfortunately I have no info on the fuel filter on the right but I believe it is a Holly as well

The fuel filter is a Fram HPG1. We used their remote filter bases for both oil and fuel on the race cars. You can find them at JEGS and Amazon.
+Quote Post

50 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:19 AM